advertisement

Ebayers and audio

tiggers

pfm Member
I find Ebay sellers fall into two categories where highish end audio is concerned. They are either genuine enthusiasts who answer every question and want to help make sure the item they are selling goes to someone who will enjoy it and look after it or they are weirdly disinterested in any communication.

At the moment there are a set of Linn Keilidh speakers for sale that look in great condition and I was considering bidding on. I enquired from the seller as to their condition and whether they had the original boxes for shipping.... no reply after 4 days. I enquired again.... nothing! Am I really going to bid on an item where the seller cannot be bothered to fire back a simple message... nope as if they can't be bothered to communicate now they are hardly going to when they have my money which they aren't going to have as they cannot be bothered to answer the ****** question!

And breathe!

I agree that if the seller can’t be bothered to reply to a question it doesn’t really inspire confidence in their ability to complete the transaction satisfactorily. Unless you are really desperate for the speakers, I’d pass.

I agree that if the seller can’t be bothered to reply to a question it doesn’t really inspire confidence in their ability to complete the transaction satisfactorily. Unless you are really desperate for the speakers, I’d pass.

Thanks and yes I already have moved on, it's just a bit annoying so thought I'd have a whinge :) Not massively desperate for the speakers as they're for a second system so no worries.

In contrast I just sold my 102 on Ebay and forgot to include the Hi Cap blanking plug so sent it next day to the buyer ... I guess I just expect everyone to be responsive as if you're selling something you won't get the best price by ignoring simple and easy communication.

Selling stuff on Ebay should be just like any other type of selling, so if you're not getting what amounts to good customer service, then walk away.
I can understand having questions ignored when they're things like 'What's your buy it now price?' and 'I will offer you (insert value significantly less than the current bid/reserve price here) and will pay you now', but if you can't be bothered to answer valid questions then you don't deserve the bid.
I quite enjoy getting into conversations with the obviously genuine enthusiasts on Ebay when I'm selling stuff anyway.

My partner has been selling some stuff on eBay recently (not hi-fi) and the messaging system doesn’t appear to be working properly; queries have started appearing that were sent several days before, along with angry follow-ups asking why she hadn’t responded.

My partner has been selling some stuff on eBay recently (not hi-fi) and the messaging system doesn’t appear to be working properly; queries have started appearing that were sent several days before, along with angry follow-ups asking why she hadn’t responded.

Yep. Same problem here.

I quite enjoy getting into conversations with the obviously genuine enthusiasts on Ebay when I'm selling stuff anyway.
Me too, nice when someone pops round to collect & we discuss music for an hour rather than hifi.

Me too, nice when someone pops round to collect & we discuss music for an hour rather than hifi.

And as a buyer, it’s equally nice when one trolls over from Hampshire to Maidstone (it’s a bl00dy long way!) for a cup of coffee, a grand chat and an XPS to boot!

I find Ebay sellers fall into two categories where highish end audio is concerned. They are either genuine enthusiasts who answer every question and want to help make sure the item they are selling goes to someone who will enjoy it and look after it or they are weirdly disinterested in any communication.

I do more selling than buying on e-bay & definitely fall into the "genuine enthusiast" category as I try to include all relevant information - but I agree that not all sellers do this & I am really happy when they are selling the same kit as me because I believe it improves my chances of selling at a good price. However there are as many bad buyers as bad sellers with questions that are unnecessary because the info is in my advert but they have not bothered to read it properly, or they ask extremely petty questions which suggest they haven't the faintest idea about the kit they are contemplating buying. However the kings of the plonker sellers are those whose description reads, " If you are considering bidding on this item you presumably know what it is" or "I am only asking the price I paid for it 5 years ago". I love them when I am selling but don't give them a second look when buying.

The most unusual situation I have experienced was when a competitor seller liked my advert so much he copied it word for word for his own listing - the only problem was he did not wait until my auction had finished - although he did withdraw his advert when I objected, claiming he had not realised mine had not finished.

If you're considering buying from ebay surely you'll know every aspect of a product, even heard/listen/owned it in the past. ? Ebay isn't a showroom really is it....

The most unusual situation I have experienced was when a competitor seller liked my advert so much he copied it word for word for his own listing - the only problem was he did not wait until my auction had finished - although he did withdraw his advert when I objected, claiming he had not realised mine had not finished.

This has happened to me on MANY occasions. It's my own fault really, as I write such excellent adverts other sellers just can't resist the temptation to copy them! :D

Same here, though I have once been asked for my permission.

I've had some nice interactions selling stuff on ebay, though even nicer using audio-markt.de, where there are pretty much only enthusiasts and shops.

Re read the full sentence.... ‘‘tis about you don’t go to eBay to browse unknown items, it’s a place you go too to find a specific item you’ve already done the leg work on

advertisement

Back