advertisement

Ebay Ultrasonic Record Cleaner

Has anyone invested in one of the ultrasonic record cleaners being offered on Ebay by colcar857

I bought one a few months ago, after some deliberation. And it’s been an excellent decision. The support from the seller was great, and he’ll give you advice on how to make the cleaning mixture. It’s straightforward: deionised water (e.g. CarPlan, from Wickes for example), isopropyl alcohol (Amazon), and Ilfotol (eBay). Considerably cheaper than buying the Audiozomba premixed stuff, and when you’ve finished cleaning records you drain it off from the machine into a plastic container for next time.

It’s really helped make some records much more listenable.

Takes probably 10 minutes ,
can you elaborate on “cumbersome” as you lost me there,
What do you need label cover for when air drying ?
Cumbersome as in awkward, unwieldly, slow etc. RCM needs two revolutions to extract fluid; about 15 sec's; maybe another 45 max. to fully evaporate depending on ambient temp. I've never done it but I wonder how a wet record can dry both sides adequately as they're presumably on edge (in a rack?) with fluid seeping downwards. Maybe there are other off-machine drying methods.

Having said that, if you're removing a record from an US machine having two wet sides, I'm not sure I'd be happy putting it on a wet-vac. machine; in fact, that's surely a no-no.

Having said that, if you're removing a record from an US machine having two wet sides, I'm not sure I'd be happy putting it on a wet-vac. machine; in fact, that's surely a no-no.
What is the problem now with having 2 sides wet? Have you ever seen Project vacuum cleaner , I guess you haven’t
Cumbersome as in awkward, unwieldly, slow etc. RCM needs two revolutions to extract fluid; about 15 sec's; maybe another 45 max. to fully evaporate depending on ambient temp.
You have won the race with your superfast vacuum cleaner ,I’m happy to leave them in the rack for an hour or even longer while I listen to some music,
Maybe there are other off-machine drying methods
There are US machines with after cleaning drying cycle
I've never done it
I know
but I wonder how a wet record can dry both sides adequately as they're presumably on edge (in a rack?) with fluid seeping downwards.
I’m sure you are familiar with concept of gravity?

I’m not sure I follow the issue here, but once the US machine has finished you lift the LPs out and hold them above the tank to drain off most of the fluid. I then put them in plastic drying racks which I found on eBay.

After perhaps 10-15 mins they’re fully dry. The labels never get wet.

Anyone know where to buy an ultrasonic tank suitable for the ‘just the motor’ kit from Poland on ebay

I’m a Velvet Vortex user, Tims on here and always helpful.

Re the fluid and drying, a quick shake and the fluid beads off, I use 2 racks and when they’re full the1st ones are dry.

When the fluid stops beading, it’s time to change the fluid.

I'd be nervous about these - excessive power and frequency may damage precious grooves. I believe Degritter did a lot of research into both for their machine (I don't own one).

I'd be nervous about these - excessive power and frequency may damage precious grooves. I believe Degritter did a lot of research into both for their machine (I don't own one).
Higher frequency is actually better as cavitation bubbles are smaller and could actually be formed inside of the groove , higher frequency means more bubbles and higher efficiency, another advantage is small bubbles release less heat . Humminguru as most commercially available US cleaners use 40kHz transducers- 40kHz cleaners create bigger cavitation bubbles and clean mainly by the means of jet stream not bubbles imploding in the groove , disadvantage of bigger bubble is when imploding produce more heat , still safe to use but you need to watch fluid temperature.

advertisement

Back