advertisement

Ebay (sigh)

onlyconnect

pfm Member
AAMOI, what would you expect if a private seller said an item had a "9 month warranty"

Do you think proof of receiving a phone as a free upgrade 3 months ago counts? I am not sure if free upgrades are warranted, but if they are, I doubt such a warranty would be transferable?

Tim

I suppose the question is, if I go along to the manufacturer and say, "look, I have proof that this phone was supplied (not purchased exactly) new less than a year ago," are they likely to fix it free?

Tim

This is quite common. I'm looking at an audio item and the seller says there's a year remaining on the warranty. For him there is, with proof of purchase.

OK, from I can tell the chances of getting warranty repair are good if phone has not been tampered with, would be interested in hearing from anyone who knows better though!

Tim

I doubt very much if it is transferable.

If this is an upgrade phone and the seller had to sign a new contract for the phone I'm not sure if it is his to sell anyway. The cost of the phone is included in the contract so it won't technically be his until his contract has finished. I doubt if the carrier would honour a claim unless it was made by him.

I doubt very much if it is transferable.

If this is an upgrade phone and the seller had to sign a new contract for the phone I'm not sure if it is his to sell anyway. The cost of the phone is included in the contract so it won't technically be his until his contract has finished. I doubt if the carrier would honour a claim unless it was made by him.

[Actually (having read up a bit about this) I think ownership of the phone transfers as soon as the contract is agreed. It is not a lease agreement or spread payments for the phone.] Scrub that, I'm really not sure. It's complex!

Obviously in a financial sense you are right, that the contract pays for the phone, but that is different. The other complication is that there are two warranties, one from the operator, one from the manufacturer. Again, popular wisdom is that you should go to the manufacturer if possible as you get better service and terms. But YMMV.

Unless you have this on good authority?

Tim

The phone is purchased outright at the start of the contract, if he then sells the phone he is still liable to pay the rental for the remaining term of the contract. The service provider may or may not choose to charge for releasing the phone from their network before the end of the contract term, but they have to release it when requested within 21 days.

No You would take it as it is. Its probably only a handy point of reference when the phone was bought.

Buying a used mobile phone is dodgy ground if you ask me. You might be alright but its all about contracts and imei numbers. Is it a pricey i phone or something?

"No sir I dont like it one bit" to quote mr horse.

As ever 'it depends'. I know Applecare is transferable as I have used it. I bought a s/h iPhone that was a replacement for one that went to that great exchange in the sky. The guy put Applecare on the replacement then used it for a couple of months and then sold it to me. We had it one month when it refused to charge. We got a new replacement for free under Applecare.

Also some US amp builders give a transferable 20 year or so warranty so its always worth checking.

Cheers,

DV

OK, from I can tell the chances of getting warranty repair are good if phone has not been tampered with, would be interested in hearing from anyone who knows better though!

Tim
The legal framework is:
- If it's already been replaced once then the original warranty applies. It doesn't renew another year's warranty just because the replacement happens to be new. Even this is not obligatory, in law once it has been exchanged or replaced the warranty can be seen to be done.
- You don't have a contract with the manufacturer or original seller, only with this seller.
- There is no obligation on the part of the manufacturer or original seller to transfer the warranty.
- If there is no contract, then in law you can go swivel. You are dependent upon courtesy.
HTH

I bought an HTC phone from ebay a couple of years ago. It was listed as a new item, an unwanted upgrade. I received it and all was fine but within a couple of months I noticed it wasn't getting good network reception and had an identical model in the house to compare against. HTC (all credit to them) repaired the phone under warranty no issues, presumably as the phone was listed 'new'. I provided proof of purchase which was the ebay listing details. Whether the same claim could have been made on a nearly new phone I'm not so sure. HTC phones are/were warranteed for 2 years. If the phone has been available for less than that time, doesn't that mean that it should be repaired regardless of ownership?

advertisement

Back