advertisement

Ebay advice

DGP

pfm Member
I b****y hate ebay. I'm sure there's some collected wisdom on pfm so here goes.

I've a buyer who has just won an item at a very low price (no problem there). However, he is abroad. The item was offered Express Delivery (RM Special 1st Class) in the UK and through ebay's Global Shipping Program elsewhere he is claiming he bought the item with Free P&P offered. He's even sent a screen shot to show that - he won't pay the 18GBP to ship the item which he won for less than £3. I've shown him the listing but he's sticking by his 'screen shot' and wants me to amend postage to the lowest USD and send him his item.

I don't want to raise an unpaid dispute. I've asked him twice if he'd agree to cancel the order but he will no longer communicate.

So what do I do next?

Ask eBay to intervene and look to cancel the transaction

I've had similar; went through their online help (think it was via online chat) and they took it from there

It got cancelled and all fees refunded etc

He's obviously lying, you just need to stand your ground and then refrain from using evil bay!

Ask eBay to intervene and look to cancel the transaction

I've had similar; went through their online help (think it was via online chat) and they took it from there

It got cancelled and all fees refunded etc

He's obviously lying, you just need to stand your ground and then refrain from using evil bay!

Exactly right, tell ebay, they will sort.

Bloss

Honestly why are you selling items on ebay for <£3 anyway and offering to ship outside the UK? Unless you are a volume seller it's hardly worth the effort.

Cancel the transaction, reclaim your fees, relist with a realistic start price and move on...

Honestly why are you selling items on ebay for <£3 anyway and offering to ship outside the UK? Unless you are a volume seller it's hardly worth the effort.

Cancel the transaction, reclaim your fees, relist with a realistic start price and move on...

Surely it is DGP's decision how he lists goods for sale? Research shows that a low cost start auction style format usually achieves the best price, as long as the ad is well written and photos and info plentiful.

YMMV, of course. :confused:

I thought there was some negative impact on your ebay status if you did that and that the disgruntled buyer could still leave negative feedback. ??

No; request to cancel and state issue with buyers address

it'll cancel and auto-refund fees IIRC

Surely it is DGP's decision how he lists goods for sale?
It is and you might be right but I protect myself from the risk of having to deal with this type of issue by either using BIN or setting a realistic price. TBH I try not to sell items <£20 these days. Just not worth my effort.

Perhaps he needs the dosh?

Bloss

PS: I have sold items from £1-£600, totalling £8,500. The way I look at it, is it may be doing someone a good turn, Profit is not king here, but nice when you get it.

Set up your account to sell to the UK only:
Go to My Ebay
Click on the Account tab at the top
On the list on the left, click Site Preferences
Under Selling Preferences list, click Show for Postage and Packing Preferences
Opt out of the Global Shipping Program
Edit any other options you need
Click Exclude Postage Locations from your listings
Tick all the International boxes
Click Apply
Should now be sorted for current and future listings.
Works well for me. Too much hassle to post outside the UK, then have to deal with missing or damaged items, and blocked some bloke from Denmark who was most upset his bid on my Triumph motorcycle basket case got blocked!

Do you have a screen shot of the postage options on the ad.

No need to ignore the global shipping option, it's one of EBay's better inventions, never had an issue to date, you have come across someone who is causing a problem, nothing more, plenty of them in good 'ol Blighty too.

I would personally call Ebay & discuss the issue, they are very good to deal with by phone, better than asking here I feel.

If he bought it via GSP, you are supposed to deliver it to Alfreton, Derbyshire and ebay deliver it to him. You will have got a notification with the address and his code if this is the case. Or it may be buried in a notification somehow. If this is so, then the only thing to fret about is paying the extra for recorded delivery because the ebay depot loses stuff about as regularly as a cheap courier like Hermes. And they won't honour a loss if they haven't signed it in with the courier you chose to send it there.

Here is a fastlink to the telephone centre. You need to be logged into your ebay account for it to work.

https://ocsnext.ebay.co.uk/ocs/cusr...342&st=6&topicName=Questions+about+an+invoice

Ebay are excellent compared to amazon if you are a seller. Every dispute we have ever had in over 3,000 transactions has been decided in our favour.

When things go wrong, some buyers behave like shits, mainly because they just don't understand the rules. For example, our negative feedback (maybe 5 in 2 years) has been removed because people think they can say what they like, eg suggest that sellers are dishonest in product descriptions. And without evidence ebay just remove it.

Conversely, amazon customers seem more invisible than ebay buyers, which is great, but the support as a trader is absolutely ffing appalling when things go wrong.

I am sure you will be sorted with a phone call.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back