advertisement

ebay advice: buyer received non-working amp, I posted working

jon l

pfm Member
Recently sold a Bryston amp to seller in Hungary, sent insured from Germany, buyer says "Just I received the amplifier but I was experiencing an electric problem when I connected it to electric network. Can be also seen short smoke from side of power-supply. It has electricity smelI as well. I am unhappy, I have to send it to workshop."

Any advice how to handle this? Was fine when it left me, concerned that he might be after compensation.

Was it sent direct or via EPay worldwide system?
If sent via EPay, you have no responsibility and you need do nothing.

Whatever, the buyer has to go through the EPay system before they can do anything else.

Ask him to return it, these problems often disappear. You’ll have no luck with it working when I sent it line unless your prepared to stump up cost of questionable repairs.

Sorry, beyond me now. I have sent items abroad and had hassles, but they were sent via EBay and once they recieve and accept anything at their hub, the responsibility lies entirely with EPay. Which was great for me.

I know that I'd ask for anything back, un-fiddled-with rather than agree anything else, but my understanding is that the buyer has to raise a complaint via EPay first, before doing anything at all. EPay commonly then insist that you have the item back.

If he's already sent it to a workshop then it's out of your hands and there isn't anything you can do. In all other cases I'd definitely ask for it to be returned and if they weren't willing to do that then also there isn't any more you could do.

The chances that they're fishing for a discount are pretty high, and it's been my experience that this type of stuff is more likely if shipping to overseas buyers (so I'm no longer willing to ship anything outside the UK as it's just not worth the hassle).

He needs to follow Ebay/Paypal procedures for a chargeback, I'd just say so to him. If he persists then ask for it back. 9 times out of 10 this is a scam. I had one years ago for a well used Thorens TT, the arse who bought it paid a whole £70 and then spent 2 hours back and forth whining about it. After I said "send it back for full refund" he eventually went away chuntering. I know damn well he was just trying to chisel me out of a few tenners.

As there's no way you can prove it was working when you sent it, don't bother with going down that route. In any event, when selling on Ebay it's the seller's responsibility to ensure it arrives as described, not that it left the seller as described. Many fail to realise this.

It's quite possible that it was damaged en route. In that case, you need to make a claim on the carrier and the buyer needs to retain all packaging and the item for inspection. However, I very much doubt that a claim for damage would succeed, now that the buyer has sent it to a workshop.

As others have commented, once the buyer has undertaken repairs himself that absolves you of any obligation. Just be polite but refuse any claim for compensation.

If he hasn't sent it off for repair, then ask him to return it for a refund.

In any event, when selling on Ebay it's the seller's responsibility to ensure it arrives as described,

Please be aware - THIS IS NOT SO if sent via the global shipping system. If (in the UK) it is accepted by Lichfield, ALL responsibility passes to EPay - been there, done that 3 times - I did nothing and the money stayed with me.

One item had a big ding in it, one got lost and the other the buyer argued that it was not as described (and that the bias thread that was not there when sent, was broken).

Can someone tell me what ePay is, is this some kind of inside joke?

I use eBay a lot to sell stuff and always use the GSP as I am led to belive it is their responsibilty to deal with any compensation issues that arise as a result.

As others have said most time wasters will bugger off if you simply ask them to return it as it costs them time and money. It could be a genuine complaint which in that case you should be able to claim from your shipping company or Paypal/ebay.

As others have said most time wasters will bugger off if you simply ask them to return it as it costs them time and money.
It doesn't actually. They simply ask for a return label which is charged to the seller, they print it, slap it on the box and arrange collection, and it's gone. When the seller gets it back the buyer gets a refund. However what they do get is no goods, and the time wasters don't want this.

It doesn't actually. They simply ask for a return label which is charged to the seller, they print it, slap it on the box and arrange collection, and it's gone. When the seller gets it back the buyer gets a refund. However what they do get is no goods, and the time wasters don't want this.

Doesn't the buyer in some cases have to pay for return P&P as I am sure I have done so in the past? Also they still have to drop it off at a post office right, and something like an amp would be more of a PITA logistically speaking.

The problem is that if you ask for it back, it will now cost you VAT and duty from Hungary, unless the customs declaration is peanuts.

I would suggest that, without prejudice, you ask him to get a repair quote, and if reasonable, refund him that cost. Or just suck it up in return for positive feedback.

Edit - sorry, just saw you sent it from Germany.

The buyer can't tell whether the item was working when you posted it just as you can't tell whether it is faulty now. Tell him to send it back to you for a full refund. If he has tampered with it or sent it to 'repair' he owns it.

If it comes back broken and you believe it was working when it was sent then you CAN claim from paypal. I had this with a camera a few years ago. It arrived broken but the buyer was an idiot and his fantastic claims just led me to believe he was a scammer. In any case I got the camera back and also got my money refunded by paypal. It can be done but it is a PITA. With items that are bigger and a pain to deal with i'd also stick to domestic sales as returns can be dealt with more easily for the most part. I am 95% sure sure eBay's global shipping covers damage and loss though.

Doesn't the buyer in some cases have to pay for return P&P as I am sure I have done so in the past?
Used to be the case yes, but at present I think they just print a return label and get it collected. A mate did this with something that arrived in bits. Full refund.

Also they still have to drop it off at a post office right, and something like an amp would be more of a PITA logistically speaking.
Or get it collected by a courier, yes.

If it is within the 20 year warranty you could insist that it is returned to you to get it repaired by Bryston or their agent or that he takes to a Bryston authorised repairer.

If it is within the 20 year warranty you could insist that it is returned to you to get it repaired by Bryston or their agent or that he takes to a Bryston authorised repairer.

it's over 20 years old! B60R Integrated.

advertisement

Back