advertisement

Early retirement… who did it?

Correct.

However retiring in their 40s or 50s is simply not an option for the vast majority of workers. In our social circle - we are all Professionals well into our ‘Senior’ years - early retirement was not even on the radar. Unlike in Europe we have next to no social safety net.

Expenses here can be quite high. E.g., a one bedroom apartment in a good section of New York City, will be around $ 3k/month to rent. A 2 bedroom apartment will sell for ca. 1 million. Kid’s expenses at a good private university are upwards of $50k per year (before financial aid) a root canal is 1k+, a crown is 2k+, an office visit to an out of insurance plan doctor can be $300 not including medical tests, lawyers charge $350/ hr +, and so on.

I had colleagues who retired in their late 7Os, one retired at 80.

Edit: Full medical cover medical insurance is *very* expensive if bought privately. I recall a figure of $2k a month from a quality company for a family of four some years ago. Perhaps it is less now after Obamacare.

Presumably those seeking to retire in their 40’s or 50’s have to buy health insurance or self insure?

Last edited:
why? post 92 sector no choice to xfer.
Really? It was beneficial when I did it.
My other half was able to transfer from USS into TPS in 1996. I did it in 1992. Again beneficial.
That was USS to TPS. May not have been the other way.

Of course, but it’s down to geography and distance. I can’t help feeling some folk who’ve moved to the sticks will start finding it hard work when the boss wants them in the office 3 days a week.
Depends on the career, some sectors are massively struggling for staff & employees will demand flexible working. Thousands of vacancies in my line of work & employers are resorting to hiring without interview.

The south will probably always carry a premium but parts of the north are becoming very expensive (Harrogate, Wetherby suburbs in Leeds, Sheffield, Newcastle & Greater Manchester for example). Interesting times.

I transferred out of my company FS pension 3 years before they ended it. The transfer out bonus was extremely attractive and my employer also boosted my salary by 35%, although that's now on a 5%/yr ramp down to 15%; and I stopped paying pension contributions as the resultant transferred out SIPP was over the pension LTA. I executed BCE1 at my 55th birthday as my pension's cash value had dipped below the LTA during Covid so 25% excess tax was not due (and I took my lump sum should Rishi have any thoughts about reducing that). All this was the best thing I ever did (financially) as self-investing the remainder has grown it by 75% post BCE1 and it could now fund all family expenses should I decide to retire or (hopefully) get made redundant as we have modest lifestyles. Any withdrawals would be matched by gains on "normal" years so it should survive us to pass onto my sons after any necessary BCE5 and IHT monies have been paid. The boosted salary has been invested in ISAs for my wife and I, and the growth/dividends on those will hopefully provide a tax-free income about equivalent to my post-tax pension. I knew nothing about pensions and financial planning until I was 49, when I read a book about it which totally changed my approach, and found that I really enjoy the investment side as well.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Really? It was beneficial when I did it.
My other half was able to transfer from USS into TPS in 1996. I did it in 1992. Again beneficial.
That was USS to TPS. May not have been the other way.

USS is a fund that is in trouble. TPS is bankrolled by the Government and is paid for by existing workers (Teachers).

USS is a fund that is in trouble. TPS is bankrolled by the Government and is paid for by existing workers (Teachers).
TPS is not “bankrolled” by the Government! It is paid for by teachers! The Government collect about 35% of a teachers salary from employees and employers for their spending. It’s been demonstrated numerous times that had it been a funded pension it would now be in huge excess, likewise the NHS pension.

I transferred out of my company FS pension 3 years before they ended it. The transfer out bonus was extremely attractive and my employer also boosted my salary by 35%, although that's now on a 5%/yr ramp down to 15%; and I stopped paying pension contributions as the resultant transferred out SIPP was over the pension LTA. I executed BCE1 at my 55th birthday as my pension's cash value had dipped below the LTA during Covid so 25% excess tax was not due (and I took my lump sum should Rishi have any thoughts about reducing that). All this was the best thing I ever did (financially) as self-investing the remainder has grown it by 75% post BCE1 and it could now fund all family expenses should I decide to retire or (hopefully) get made redundant as we have modest lifestyles. Any withdrawals would be matched by gains on "normal" years so it should survive us to pass onto my sons after any necessary BCE5 and IHT monies have been paid. The boosted salary has been invested in ISAs for my wife and I, and the growth/dividends on those will hopefully provide a tax-free income about equivalent to my post-tax pension. I knew nothing about pensions and financial planning until I was 49, when I read a book about it which totally changed my approach, and found that I really enjoy the investment side as well.

Best thing I ever did was take control of my own pension at 42.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
TPS is not “bankrolled” by the Government! It is paid for by teachers! The Government collect about 35% of a teachers salary from employees and employers for their spending. It’s been demonstrated numerous times that had it been a funded pension it would now be in huge excess, likewise the NHS pension.

Which is what I said however it does have the advantage of Government backing; the USS does not. From memory the USS only had a 3% deficit in 2014(ish) but a combination of factors including ‘Pension Holidays’ and declining salaries in the University sector have left it in a poor state of health. I am not against Teachers pensions, far from it, I think they are great and wish all workers could have something similar. I say this as a retired Teacher who also worked with UCU.

Yesterday I put together a spreadsheet to demonstrate to my wife that me retiring (again) in 18 months time (when I turn 55 and she'll be 57) was entirely affordable. It's a little complicated as we both have 2 pensions each in addition to the state pensions, all of which become available at different ages. My 2 private ones are available from 55 as is her final salary teaching one (although the default for that is 60, and that also has a lump sum payment), her other teaching one (a career average earnings one) is available from 65 and the state ones are from 67. That turned out to be affordable without selling our main house, although that is something we intend to do when we retire (so should have a decent buffer) as we'll be moving to the place in the Cairngorms for the initial part of our retirement. It also helps a lot that it's way cheaper to run than our Edinburgh place.

As part of that I checked to see what recommendations there were for retirement income and the current Which magazine advice for a couple is:
  • £18K per annum for "Essential"
  • £26K per annum for "Comfortable" (which was the average in 2021 based on their research)
  • £41K per annum for "Luxury"

Best thing I ever did was take control of my own pension at 42.

Similar here. Originally I hadn't really planned on pensions being a significant element of my retirement (based on some financial advice when I was around 40) but in recent years I've been chucking the max each year into my private pension - partly to get it to a decent level and partly for tax efficiency.

I think that's what will probably happen - it will initially be pitched as only applying to the rich. Then over time reasons will be found to lower the thresholds and fiscal drag will mean every year more people find they're not quite poor enough to quality for the full state pension.

Bear in mind they will already be giving 45% of it back in tax.

Means test are notoriously expensive to implement and relatively easy to deceive.

advertisement

Back