advertisement

EAR Yoshino 864 Pre Amp

Cookstown

pfm Member
I'm expecting 1 of these to arrive this week. I've had a hankering to add a bit of valve magic & hoping that this will do just that. I like the EAR sound having already a 324 phono amp in the system. Any experiences with this amp? It'll be used with Linn amps & speakers run in aktiv mode.

Yes I have one without the phono stage. Its connected to an 890 power amp and Harbeth SHL5s. Mostly I use a sme 20/2 as a source and Tron 7 phono. I introduced the 864 initially to relace a Naim 202 to feed a 200 power amp. It was a significant upgrade. I love it even more with an EAR power amp. Got the 864 serviced by EAR for about £150 which isnt bad at all.

Yes I have one without the phono stage. Its connected to an 890 power amp and Harbeth SHL5s. Mostly I use a sme 20/2 as a source and Tron 7 phono. I introduced the 864 initially to relace a Naim 202 to feed a 200 power amp. It was a significant upgrade. I love it even more with an EAR power amp. Got the 864 serviced by EAR for about £150 which isnt bad at all.

The 890 is on my wish list. Its supposed to mate well with the Linn 242s. I'd imagine its petty powerful.
EAR's servicing is excellent value. I had the 324 serviced a few years back for about £100 or so.

Now received the EAR & happy with initial impressions. Not what I was expecting though. The EAR replaced a Conrad Johnson Premier 18LS & I was expecting to lose a little bass control & gain a little smoothness from the valves. Seems to be the opposite. Bass is tighter & seemingly faster but mids are less smooth. for example Norah Jones was very smooth through the CJ but with the EAR less smooth but a more realistic portrayal. Both amps are excellent but in different ways which was what I was looking for when changing. One thing is for certain you wouldn't mistake one for the other in a blind test.

Hi Cookstown,

I owned an 864 for a number of years with an EAR534, which I still own. These amps are FAR from the typical valve sound. The 864 is very revealing, analytic and viscerally dynamic.

I freplaced mine with a Bel Canto Pre3vbs, mainly driven by the desire to have a remote, but is definitely a step up within my system.

864 - great pre-amp.

M

And then there's the 868 (?) and indeed the 912, which is interesting me greatly at the mo' (as I have 509 monoblocs).

Interesting comparisons, Cookstown. Currently swings and roundabouts, but further familiarity may well bring out more subtle changes, esp. as your main amplification and (presumably) sources remain static. That leaves just the pre. to power cables, which may favour one pre. over another, though this would be slight, if at all.

I agree with MU, EAR amps have real drive along with the more commonly referred to valve attributes. I'm sure some of this relates to the rest of your system, but I have a pair Harbeth SHL5s so the mids are great, and when I stick on things like The Whitestripes; Massive Attack and Blue Nile Walk Across the Rooftops I get a very clean and deep bass sound....

And then there's the 868 (?) and indeed the 912, which is interesting me greatly at the mo' (as I have 509 monoblocs).

Interesting comparisons, Cookstown. Currently swings and roundabouts, but further familiarity may well bring out more subtle changes, esp. as your main amplification and (presumably) sources remain static. That leaves just the pre. to power cables, which may favour one pre. over another, though this would be slight, if at all.

I heard the 912 powering the 509s in a vinyl system at Rockhopper's - probably the best sound I have ever heard. I'd take one in a heartbeat :D

I heard the 912 powering the 509s in a vinyl system at Rockhopper's - probably the best sound I have ever heard. I'd take one in a heartbeat :D

Hmm ! That's quite an accolade, but I didn't know R. had 509s. 912, Dais etc., etc., yes.

Unfortunately 912s don't come along too often, and when they do, it's with one dealer at highish price tags.:(

912 is expensive and rare, never seen one for less than 5k. Emporium have one for 6.5K just now - a silver one

Yep that is the problem: it is expensive. Since moving from Naim to EAR I have got off the upgrade path and am very happy with my system. To make a big difference would cost a lot and that is just not possible right now and for the next 10 years or so...

I partially moved from Naim (2 x 135s) to E.A.R. but kept my 552 pre. to control everything, so although jumping ship would be DIFFERENT, the existing synergy is so good, it'll be a case of swings and roundabouts, I feel. However.............:)

912 sounds audibly better if you unscrew the bottom lid. i don't know about 864, i sold it long time before i've heard this in a friend's system. have no idea how and why but you can try it for yourself (on behalf you have 912:))

What is "Foo" exactly? Is it just another word for a tweak as has been suggested? Or does it involve scepticism? Is foo a tweak that you think is unlikely to work for you?

Now received the EAR & happy with initial impressions. Not what I was expecting though. The EAR replaced a Conrad Johnson Premier 18LS & I was expecting to lose a little bass control & gain a little smoothness from the valves. Seems to be the opposite. Bass is tighter & seemingly faster but mids are less smooth. for example Norah Jones was very smooth through the CJ but with the EAR less smooth but a more realistic portrayal. Both amps are excellent but in different ways which was what I was looking for when changing. One thing is for certain you wouldn't mistake one for the other in a blind test.

Just an update on the 864. After an extended session the sound has really opened up particularly the mids & highs. Partway through listening to Judas Priest "Unleashed in the East" I actually burst out laughing at the realistic soundstage. Everything now seems more organic. Visceral is a good adjective in describing the amp(Thanks Mr Underhill). Clearly the amp hasn't been used for a while and needed a good workout to show its best.
Absolutely loving it. Now where do I find that 890?

Hi Cookstown,
any other update?

I'm interested to buy a CJ Premier 18LS, but i have also a opportunity to find a 864 nearest my town.

My amplifier is a Threshold S200 and speaker are Proac Response 2.5

Hi Cookstown,
any other update?

I'm interested to buy a CJ Premier 18LS, but i have also a opportunity to find a 864 nearest my town.

My amplifier is a Threshold S200 and speaker are Proac Response 2.5

Absolutely loving the Ear 864, in fact I changed the power amps from Linn to Ear 509s. Now don't get me wrong the CJ was also fantastic & I happily lived with it for several years. To be honest you won't go wrong with either amp. Size though could be an issue, the CJ is big!, probably needs to sit on top of a rack or shelf whereas the EAR is quite petite. If you can get a listen to both this would be best advice even worth the cost of return postage.
Good luck & let us know how you get on.

advertisement

Back