advertisement

EAR 890 tube replacement

Alexander

pfm Member
I've had the EAR 890 serviced with the nearest servicing station and by god it was expensive. 900 euro. The tubes cost 74 euro per piece. Now I browsed the web for tubes and found them at that price per pair, but the guy at the hifi shop(who outsources this stuff) said that difference is normal because when testing tubes easily half of them turn out not to be good enough. What's the price for quality KT90's, is he right about that? Would it have been worth it to send the amp across the mighty seas over to Tim de Paravincini's shoppe?

could be worth trying new KT120 claimed to be a drop in for 90s

Careful here - the KT120 apparently requires higher heater current then the KT90 so might NOT be (is not) a direct replacement.

That said, looking at the prices of matched Tubes - what else need replacing on your unit to justify 900 Euros? Did you send the unit in for repair or just "Annual" servicing...?

Surely if you test new valves and they don`t meet spec they go back to the supplier - don`t they? - or is the EAR requirement much tighter than a normal amp?

The EAR 890 appears to be difficult to service. Dissassembly to near molecular level is required in order to replace the bulbs. It's a bad idea for me to start on it.

The EAR 890 appears to be difficult to service. Dissassembly to near molecular level is required in order to replace the bulbs. It's a bad idea for me to start on it.

For 900 Euros it have to be bloody difficult - and I don't see that being the case...

I'd enquire how much the Factory would charge and based on that price you'd have a choice wether to send back it to base or not next time - not much you can do about the last one I suspect.
Do the Valves always get changed at a service or is changing the Valves interval shorter than the 5(?) yearly.

I sent a query to Ear-Yoshino. The valves did benefit from replacing in any case, I noticed the difference. Apart from the odd crackle before servicing.

jesus wept - 900 for some tubes and a service?!?

next time, try a ''guitar amp repair man''. They work with valve amps all day long and trust me guitarists don't pay stupid money for repairs and servicing.

Good man, bite on the leather.. having said that, I've also been royally shafted by not being UK based for Base repairs - the postage costs can be up to and more than 100% of the quoted price for the service/repair..

Careful here - the KT120 apparently requires higher heater current then the KT90 so might NOT be (is not) a direct replacement.

Indeed. My Copper amp needed a new mains transformer and caps before it could accept the new KT120s. Now it will only run with KT120s....

The whole job including custom made-to-order mains transformer from Sowter came in at less than £900.

jesus wept - 900 for some tubes and a service?!?

next time, try a ''guitar amp repair man''. They work with valve amps all day long and trust me guitarists don't pay stupid money for repairs and servicing.

The job was done by Anthony Matthews of Tube Distinctions who built the amp in the first place 15 years ago. He happens to spend most of his time repairing guitar amps. Funny that!

When Tim De P. Serviced my 890 at the factory, I just needed one KT90 and I think they charged me about £45 for it. They don't need to be matched or anything, just working! I guess they all come from the same factory anyway, but mine do have the EAR logo on them!

My guess is you have been royally ripped off there is no more than £200 worth of tubes in there. What make are the kt90s? jj , electro harmonics make them at around £80 for a matched pair and you would be covered against any duds when purchasing from any reputable source. Id ask the servicing guy for a full break down of the cost and a receipt for the valves used.

When Tim De P. Serviced my 890 at the factory, I just needed one KT90 and I think they charged me about £45 for it. They don't need to be matched or anything, just working! I guess they all come from the same factory anyway, but mine do have the EAR logo on them!

Just checked with Tim, if you use unmatched valves, there is a danger of slight hum, but otherwise it would be ok.
So, a spare set of valves would be about £320. I may well treat myself to a set.

900euros Jez , i just replaced the 16 x 300b & 12ax7 in my power-amps cheaper than that & they where premium tj full musics

Just checked with Tim, if you use unmatched valves, there is a danger of slight hum, but otherwise it would be ok.
So, a spare set of valves would be about £320. I may well treat myself to a set.
Considering that the valves had already over 5000 hours behind them, it's not that weird that all of them were replaced. Also , £45 is not that far from 75euro. So concluding, while 900 euro is high, I think I have to face it that a high power valve amp is expensive in maintenance.

The factory didn't reply to my query.

advertisement

Back