advertisement

E-III Revision

James

Lord of the Erg\o/s
I had been disturbed by the marginally imperfect performance of the E-IIIs for a while now. It's not wrong sounding by any stretch of the imagination; just not as sublime as the E-VIIs and E-IVs in the midband. It sounds good enough to be enjoyable, but it does not make you sit up and pay attention like a live band in your living room might. OK, so I have high aspirations.

When Mr Tibbs built the E-IIIs, I acquired a pair of Seas M15CH001 pure mids that are supposed to be one of the best drivers on the planet in its class. Not uncoincidentally, it shares the same chassis as the CA15RLY midbass that I designed the E-IIIs with. So it's a doddle to swap the drivers physically. Electrically, it's a bit more complicated as they have quite different T/S parameters and a somewhat different frequency response. The only real way of incorporating them into an existing crossover design is to start from scratch.

I never got around to doing that because the E-IVs, E-V, PFM-Specials, E-VII, E-VIII and now the E-IX got in the way. I had always meant to take another set of measurements to take another stab, but you know about good intentions. Anyway, Mr Tibbs' reinstatement of and wonderment in his old Epos ES14s got me doubly motivated. So, whilst taking measurements for the E-IX, I took the time to take a fresh set of measurements - both of the original set-up, and of the new with M15CH001 in place.

To understand how drivers crossover, it is important to consider the phase response of each overlapping driver. For even-order crossovers, the amplitude sums correctly only if the phase is exactly the same. In practice, a number of things conspire against this. Not the least of which is how accurately the driver is following a symmetrical transfer function acoustically, which is a combined result of the native response of the driver and the electrical effect of the filter. This is where actual measured data and a good simulation software comes in rather handily.

Let's have a look at the original E-III phase response.

6584480-md.jpg

As you can see, they don't line up, but they do track in the same direction and have the same relative difference across the crossover ranges' midpoints of 350Hz and 3.5kHz. This isn't half-bad. At least they will sum consistently if not 100% accurately. But what they won't do is sound like a seamless trio of drivers.

With the M15CH001 midrange in place, I remodelled the crossover and got this instead.

6584479-md.jpg

Here, the midrange phase and woofer phase are almost perfectly in line. They should sound as coherent as a single driver, and much more so compared to the original iteration. The real difference is I've learnt a lot more about crossovers since I built the E-IIIs. The revised XO includes resonance traps for both the midrange and tweeter so that they behave properly in their stop-bands. Even though the M15CH001 crosses to the woofer at 350Hz, and almost 2 octaves above its resonance frequency, the latter was sufficient to produce a kink in the transfer function and more than enough to throw the phase askew.

The resulting frequency response is also telling. Here is the original E-IIIs simulated summed response.

6584500-md.jpg

The revised E-IIIs compares more than favourably, don't you think?

6584499-md.jpg

There is only one downside to this story so far. The M15CH001 is no longer available at the usual outlets, and so unless Mr Tibbs happens upon a pair on eBay, this is really more an exercise to try prove that 3-way designs could work as well as a two way. But fear not, Mr Tibbs. I can redesign the E-III using the CA15RLY driver using the same techniques.

Interested?

James

The M15CH001 looks just like any 6-inch driver, except it has a solid copper phase plug and an ultra-light and stiff polyprop cone from the front ...

6584520-md.jpg

From the back, it's quite special. It features six blocks of neo-magnets that provide for virtually no obstruction (normally encountered with whopping great big ferrite magnets) for the back wave of the driver to reflect back through the cone.

6584540-md.jpg

Installed on the E-III baffles, only the copper phase plug gives it away.

6584527-lg.jpg

I'll get the E-IXs sorted for another measurement before I send for parts to build the new E-III XO. I'm in two minds about keeping the existing E-III XO intact or break it down to recycle some parts.

James

OK, I'll get cracking on the update. I hope for you it means a large number of the original XO components can be reused. I'm looking at a USD200 bill for a brand new XO for the revised E-IIIs without any recycling.

James

Originally Posted by Mr Tibbs
I guess the point I was (rather clumsily) trying to make is that it just might not be possible to get ANY three-way to match what the ES14s deliver in the midrange.

I can hear a gauntlet falling to the ground.

The fundamental reason why multiway loudspeaker systems fail to engage in the same manner as a full-range, single driver design is - in my view - a phase problem. A 3-way has two areas of overlap, a 2-way has one and a 1-way has none. If the phase alignment is spot on (at least between woofer and midrange), then the 3-way should have a huge advantage with lower IM distortion, better bass control and improved dispersion.

In the past, I had sought to achieve a ruler-flat frequency response using CAD software. I've now come to realise that precise phase alignment is possibly far more important. In a perfect world with perfectly behaved and aligned drivers, both FR and PR would be perfect. Reality is somewhat less than perfect, but that shouldn't stop me from trying.

I would trade some of that flat FR for better PR any day of the week. If you can manage that with some XO changes then I'm very interested indeed.

Mr Tibbs

Interesting, I´m looking for a 3-way design for my next project and this one could do well in my setup.
Where can I find complete drawings for box and crossover.
Staffan

Mr Tibbs,

I would trade some of that flat FR for better PR any day of the week. If you can manage that with some XO changes then I'm very interested indeed.
The XO changes won't be minor. I think I can retain the HP filter, but if you look closely at the filtered FR of the woofer and midrange, you will see that it's not quite right.

6584500-md.jpg

The main difference between the revised (and to be built) XO and the original is the implementation of resonance traps, but those also change the series component values. I had a quick go this morning at remodelling the XO based on the CA15RLY mid and found that it needed two resonance traps. One at its fb to remove the mistermination in the HP stop band, and the other to flatten the slight peaking between 600Hz and 1kHz. I'll play around with this a bit more to see if I can simplify the filter network. You're in no hurry, are you?

James

Steffan,

Interesting, I´m looking for a 3-way design for my next project and this one could do well in my setup.
Where can I find complete drawings for box and crossover.
I had not intended for the E-III to be a public design. What experience do you have in cabinet making? The E-IIIs are not your regular rectangular boxes. Perhaps you can post some pictures of your prior work here.

James

Do you have one of those phase charts for the E-Vs?

Not that I have any complaints, as their midrange performance is at least as good as the speakers they replaced (which was very good), especially now I am not throttling them with the high resistance speaker cables.

This thread brings back to mind our discussions as to whether the E-V crossover needed to be rebuilt for my in room response. I know I decided to leave them as is but now I wonder if, with your newer thoughts on crossover design, something already good could not be made even better.

Steve

Steve,

There's always a better mousetrap. The only thing I would change for the E-Vs is to reduce the system Q to tighten up the bass response and better align it with your room. That involves only a change to the bass inductor to reduce the DCR, but I don't think your Naim amp would cope with a 3-ohm load.

I'll see if I can post a picture of the E-V phase response when I'm home tonight.

James

I'll play around with this a bit more to see if I can simplify the filter network. You're in no hurry, are you?

No hurry at all, James. Didn't you say you intend to keep the old XO's intact and build completely new ones? I'm sure that would be very useful for judging how much difference this revised XO makes in practice (I'm sure Steve would be interested to hear the difference too :)

Mr Tibbs

The only problem is I'm not planning on rebuilding a new XO for the CA15RLY version. So whilst we can easily tell if the revision with the M15CH001 is better or worse, we can't be certain if the improvements (if any) is down to a better (different) driver or to a better crossover. Two variables and all that.

What this boils down to is how much of an investment risk you are willing to take to rebuild the E-III XO based on a modelled result with the CA15RLY, or whether you have a preference to source a pair of M15CH001s to mirror my outcomes. If the M15CH001 option blows my socks off, I don't know if I'd be sufficiently motivated to rebuild the existing XO/CA15RLY option to match it.

Why do I keep building designs with out-of-production drivers?

James

The only problem is I'm not planning on rebuilding a new XO for the CA15RLY version. So whilst we can easily tell if the revision with the M15CH001 is better or worse, we can't be certain if the improvements (if any) is down to a better (different) driver or to a better crossover. Two variables and all that.

Understood.

What this boils down to is how much of an investment risk you are willing to take to rebuild the E-III XO based on a modelled result with the CA15RLY, or whether you have a preference to source a pair of M15CH001s to mirror my outcomes. If the M15CH001 option blows my socks off, I don't know if I'd be sufficiently motivated to rebuild the existing XO/CA15RLY option to match it.

Yet more decisions!

I'll probably have to stick with the CA15s and go for the remodelled XO to suit them. Not much hope of getting a pair of M15s, I fear.

Mr Tibbs

Yet more decisions!
Better not introduce the MCA15RCY (pure mid) option then, eh? I've got a pair of those kicking around and used them to good effect on the PFM-Specials. I think I'll save them for the E-X.

James

Do you have one of those phase charts for the E-Vs?
Here it is, Steve.

6590342-md.jpg

The mid to woofer integration is out by around 13 degrees and mid to tweet by around 10 degrees. The important thing is that the phase difference is relatively constant over the XO range. However, perfection would require them to be in perfect alignment. Tough job.

James

Better not introduce the MCA15RCY (pure mid) option then, eh? I've got a pair of those kicking around and used them to good effect on the PFM-Specials. I think I'll save them for the E-X.

James

Interested to know how these MCS15RCY perform in a box. In the PFM Special's OB they do sound rather good. I would say on a par with my Epos 14s, though I always found the mid on the 14s 'coloured' by the loose bass. Not a problem with the Specials :)

James:
I can buy the argument that you don't want the E-3:s to be a public design but...
please let me decide if I am skilld enough to do the wood work. I did build my first pair of hyperbolic horns 32 years ago and have been building different kinds of boxes over the years. Straight up boxes and pyramids. right now I have a pair of Ariel boxes together with a pair of dipole subs.
Kind regards, Staffan

advertisement

Back