advertisement

Dynavector p75 V Graham Slee Gram amp 2 SE MM Phono stage

leroyd

pfm Member
Recently fitted the terrific Dynavector 10x5 high output MC cartridge on my turntable, but now I really need to upgrade my phono stage.
The Dynavector p75 is an obvious contender, but it offers the option of low output MC, an option that I do not require (why pay for something I will not be using), so I am thinking about a MM only phono stage that would perform well and save me some cash.
The Graham Slee gram amp 2 Se seems like an alternative.

I am rather new to Turntables so would really appreciate advice/comments

Thanks

Hi Leroyd

Just saw your post whilst looking around for phono stage updates. Maybe you are sorted by now.

One thing I can say though if you're still looking. Or maybe I should say one thing I learnt written by someone more knowledgeable than I...

In addition to possibly being more expensive, any stage that offers MM and LOMC will require different solutions/circuits to do the job properly.

So not only do you run the risk of unnecessary expense but there's a chance of a compromise in the design too.

I have just installed my new 10x5 and am also looking to upgrade my phono stage. I'd be interested to hear how you did.

Cheers
Pete

P75 over slee gram amp all day long - had a slee and found it a bit monocromatic but the p75 with the 10x5 is Magic...

P75 over slee gram amp all day long - had a slee and found it a bit monocromatic but the p75 with the 10x5 is Magic...

Seconded. I went down this route, upgraded to a 10x5 and then went searching for a better phono stage. I tried a couple of other phonos over time but the p75 exactly matched the 10x5 and it sounds magic. Also knowing that the 10x5 was performing as well as it could took away any hifi neurosis.

The little glowing dv sign on the front is a thing of beauty too!

Me too.
I have a 10X5 and was using the built in phono stage in the Rega Brio-R.
My future ambition is a Dynavector 20X2L (low output moving coil) so decided to seek out a P75 (got a P75II) and it was appreciably better than the admittedly good, Brio's phono stage with the 10X5. Since bought an Elex-R amplifier and I feel that the P75II is better than the Elex's inbuilt phono stage too.
Looking forward to upgrading to the 20X2L, though it appears to have gone up to £690 ouch!

I go the other way. Prefer the slee over the dyna by a wide margin. And you can upgrade the slee with a power supply later on. Substantial upgrade at reasonable price. I get the monochromatic criticism as it can sound a little grey without optimizing the interconnects. But it is always fast, dynamic and exciting. Currently using a slee x with dyna 20x2h and have owned the 2se and the p75ii.

GSP Era Gold works very well with the 10x5. I don't know how the Gram Amp compares to the Era Gold.

There are at least three versions of the P75. I have the original, which sounded better (in Dr T mode with Lyra Clavis DC) to my ears than a Supercapped Prefix. I later tried the mk.3 version and found it rather clinical, bordering on the mechanical. I haven't heard the mk.2, so choose carefully. I still consider my mk.1 a stonking phono amp for the money, even if I think the Lyra Kleos deserves something better.

Another vote for the P75 v1 here too. I've very happily been running mine with a Lyra Delos in DR T mode for 4-5 years.....

GSP Era Gold works very well with the 10x5. I don't know how the Gram Amp compares to the Era Gold.

It doesn't. Most of todays competently designed inbuilt phonostages better it. It is what it is, a reasonable budget phono preamp.

For reasonable money I'd be looking at a Hagerman Cornet (beats the P75's MM stage, I owned both and still run the Cornet, mainly because it embarrassed my EAR 834P at the time despite being a grand cheaper), the Graham Slee Era Gold is good and reasonable value too.

Sounds about right. I liked the P75(mk1) for DV MCs but think the Era Gold works better with high output carts.

Sorry I can't really comment on the 10x5 into the P75 (be it Mk1 or 2) but I do have a fair degree of experience using several cartridges into this phonostage. I always found the P75 a bit flat - lacking even - with MM/HOMC's but with a good LOMC (into its requisite Dr T setting) it's really rather special, and is where the magic starts to happen.

Also, the lower that MC's internal impedence the better - it was absolutely superb with an Ortofon SPU, for example.

Sorry I can't really comment on the 10x5 into the P75 (be it Mk1 or 2) but I do have a fair degree of experience using several cartridges into this phonostage. I always found the P75 a bit flat - lacking even - with MM/HOMC's but with a good LOMC (into its requisite Dr T setting) it's really rather special, and is where the magic starts to happen.

Also, the lower that MC's internal impedence the better - it was absolutely superb with an Ortofon SPU, for example.

This is a spot on summary. In Dr T mode the P75 is a cracker, if MM look elsewhere.

Absolutely agree. The Clavis DC was around 3-ohm, and the Kleos is around 5-ohm. Dr T modes works better with very low impedance MC carts. I found the standard MC mode rather flat.

advertisement

Back