advertisement

Dynavector P75 or NAC 42 stage

rstloup

pfm Member
Seeking advice again... My LP12 was fitted with a Dynavector 10x5 by a previous owner. I've been struggling a bit with how best to run it into a NAC 42. Neil Jadman was kind enough to build me a set of 323Es, 323Ss, and 322s. Even though technically running the 10x5 through the MM stage is what makes sense on paper, the result sounds thinner and compressed to my ears in comparison to the 323E cards. While I will end up keeping one set of the Naim cards, someone local has a Dynavector p75 mk3 stage. Considering that the DV phono stage is designed with their cart in mind, can anyone here vouch from experience that this would be an improvement over the built in Naim stage?

With Neil's cards I doubt there would be any point in going to the P75. You can't really use the P75's "Dr T" mode (transimpedance, current input) setting with your high output MC and it's normal mode MM and MC inputs are good but probably no improvement on the ones you have. With the way you are using it at the moment I have to wonder if you maybe prefer a bit of overload and colouration derived excitement added to the mix!?:rolleyes::)

With the way you are using it at the moment I have to wonder if you maybe prefer a bit of overload and colouration derived excitement added to the mix!?:rolleyes::)

It's quite possible! embarrassing? I think I need to keep trying different records. I just listened to New Order's Low-Life and it sounded a bit fatiguing with the 323E but fine with the 322. But then Nina Simone on the 323E sounds so alive in comparison to the 322!

FWIW, I thought that the P75 (a mk. 1 in my case) was far superior to the Naim Stageline N with the 10x5. Likewise, I've heard that some folks prefer the Stageline S with the 10x5. I'm not sure if this is helpful given your Jadman cards, but thought I'd pass it along.

I had a 10x5 and struggled to match it with a phono stage. I tried a few and spent more time messing with the jumpers than listening. In the end I just went with the p75, it sounded like they were meant to be together, a great match that I used for years.

You can also pick your price point with regards to the mk of the p75. I used a mk2.

I had a 20X2 and if that and the 10X5 have typical DV house sound, your description sounds like mine would be - detailed but really fairly unexciting, plodding, pipe and slippers.
I used that with a P75.

I have an Ortofon Quintet Black playing through a P75 mk2. It is much better than the Naim 323 boards, and bought used is good vfm.
Also I noticed an improvement in the cd playback with the phono boards removed from my nac 32
So I would say, worth a try especially second hand.

Hi,

I have had the Dynavector DV20 and XXII tried both through both the Linn pre amp with internal phono stage and the Naim 12s pre amps internal boards, recently serviced, against my P75 MKII, in DR T mode.

The P75 MKII was better, by some margin.

Cheers

John

To be clear, a P75 will of course beat any Naim phono stage but I was allowing for substantial improvements from the new NeilJadman boards!

FWIW the phono stages I make are better still than the P75 and cheaper. £225 for the Arkless 640P which is MM and MC switchable and £285 for the Arkless GTi which is current input and MC only and so not compatible with high output MC's. Donor units and postage are to be added to those prices of course.

The P75 in Dr T mode is a completely different kettle of fish compared to its standard MM/MC mode. If I was only going to use it in the latter then I wouldn't bother.

When I had 10x5, I tried loads of stages and boards and experimented with different loadings. P75 will sound much better than Naim boards, but any AT cart will sound better than 10x5 IME. 10x5 is just dull and quite bad.
I'm sounding like an old record here, but 10x5 was my most frustrating hi-fi experience.

When I had 10x5, I tried loads of stages and boards and experimented with different loadings. P75 will sound much better than Naim boards, but any AT cart will sound better than 10x5 IME. 10x5 is just dull and quite bad.
I'm sounding like an old record here, but 10x5 was my most frustrating hi-fi experience.

My 10x5 was my most enlightening hifi experience especially when put with a p75. Always amazes me the different experiences others have.

advertisement

Back