advertisement

Dynavector cartridges

Keith

Have you undertaken or witnessed how quickly the arm wands on an Aro can be switched over? It may not be instant but it takes less than a minute and carries the benefit of requiring no switching over of connections to the same phono stage and the same power supply, nor swapping over of albums. Hence I am not quite sure why you might think your method offers any benefit to that which I experienced. I am quite satisfied with my approach which, from my perspective is the main thing; and as long as you have total faith in your approach, well, happy days!

Peter
I just find instant switching preferable, so two identical turntable two identical arms, two identical phonos and albums, the auditory memory is approximately four seconds.
But you did directly compare and that is to be applauded.
Keith

Keith,

I just find instant switching preferable, so two identical turntable two identical arms, two identical phonos and albums, the auditory memory is approximately four seconds.

Same models, yes. But actually identical? That's hard to say, as sample variation comes into play. A recording using exactly the same turntable, arm and phono preamp with the two Dynavector cartridges would be a better comparison if you're worried about the apparently short duration of auditory memory.

But I have to ask, if auditory memory is so short — like a scene out of Memento — how can you be sure of anything you've compared?

Joe

The Dynavector arm is a thing of beauty, no doubt about that, though it's nearly £6K new now. Mind you, to get it into perspective, the XV1-T is almost the same price.

wylton,

Yeah, it never was cheap, but high-end analogue is firmly in rich nutter land now.

My dealer's top table, arm and cartridge is more than $75k Cdn. It sounds great, but that's a lot of tacos.

Joe

The Dynavector arm is a thing of beauty, no doubt about tha

How aesthetic tastes in hifi differ. I really don't like that chunky, articulated look in tonearms, preferring straight, sleek and simple lines. I can see the allure in the SME look (esp in 12" format) but not those arms which are curved. The Reed arms have that perfect combination of svelte, engineered construction enhanced by a touch of wood. A 12" arm, to me, always looks more businesslike and indeed, more elegant, that a 9" one

Maybe we should have a thread on tonearm likes and dislikes from an aesthetic p.o.v. Would need pic's, obv.

I have many midpriced MCs, including DV, which is a very fine cartridge.

However my most played carts are Transfiguration and ZYX.

However my most played carts are Transfiguration and ZYX.

Ah ! I can well understand that. No experience of Zyx except by received wisdom and friends' systems, but Transfig. for transparency and Zyx for speed? Maybe too simplistic but my Transfig is the most transparent cart. I've ever had (among other, more practical virtues) That's against Lyras, Linn, Roksan, Koetsus and Benz.

advertisement

Back