advertisement

Dynaudio loudspeakers

per flemming

A friend is looking for some Dynaudio speakers, my experience with these are very limited

He's dreaming of the Special forty but these are way too expensive for his budget around €800-1200/pair
Which model would you recommend ?
There seem to be a lot of Dyn.. bookshelfs in various price range, he is looking for s/h

Room is long narrow aprox 25 sqm
Need placement not far from rear wall, nothing out in the room please
Amp is Exposure 3010 so plenty of power

All recommendations are appreciated, thanks

If placement is an issue, he should avoid Contour 1.3 mk2 bookself speakers. They are very bass heavy and must be out in the room. They also need a powerful amp.
My first Dyns were DM2/7. They were great for a small room and could be placed very close to the wall. Not very revealing though.

The excite range is excellent value for money X32, 34 and 38 are all excellent floorstanders and the 32 and 34 are available at those prices

The X18 looks the business, size is fine though rear-ported
Floorstanders not an option I'm afraid, due to room size beeing afraid of becoming bassy

I guess Special one and 25 were predecessors to special forty ?

Would he be better off hunting some of these or ?

If placement is an issue, he should avoid Contour 1.3 mk2 bookself speakers. They are very bass heavy and must be out in the room. They also need a powerful amp.
My first Dyns were DM2/7. They were great for a small room and could be placed very close to the wall. Not very revealing though.

DM2/7 looks fine
Wonder if DM range were older discontinued model and if, what's their current version named ?

I use an Exposure 3010 pre/power into Dynaudio Contour 1.8/II floorstanders. Rear ported of course, but only a couple of feet away from the wall here and work superbly (and have for 15 years). Mine are birds-eye maple and look terrific. May sell....

Anybody heard the Emit M10s? The reviews suggest they're tuned for small rooms and work close to walls.

I had the M20's for a week. I wouldn't want to spend any more time with them. Didn't fire me up.

I loved my Contour 1.8's though which I had for many years. Driven mostly by the relatively modest Pioneer A 400.

Dont take my word for it though The Emits gain praise from other corners.

DM2/7 looks fine
Wonder if DM range were older discontinued model and if, what's their current version named ?

DM is discontinued and has been replaced by Emit, which is generally liked, some people say it’s better than DM, but I haven’t heard it.

I can give a thumbs up for Dynaudio focus 160, they just sound right with all genre of music. Give them a decent amp and they sing. You would have to use the port bungs up close to a wall. I use them about 2 and half ft away from wall with out port bungs and they are not that far off a full range speaker believe it or not. Amp is a biggy with the dynaudio’s to get the best out of them. If your going to be playing music moderate to loud levels, I would be looking at an amp 150 watt plus with a good level of current.
I have used my 160’s with a few decent amps and seen them struggle once the volume was turned up, not to stupid levels mind you. They just didnt have the clout.
See if you can demo a pair with your amp before commiting to purchase.

I had Contour 1.8s for several years. Basically a floor standing version of the 1.3's.

Fantastic speakers. At current sh prices have to be a bargain. They compete with speakers costing thousands new.

Totally agree, with the above. A lot of people look to newer brands/Trends he said/she
Said, if there is one thing about most mid to high end Dynaudio speakers be it old or new
Is that they are solid hold their value and sound great. Most buyers hold on to them for years. While changing other components in their setup. I am no expert far from it, spent loads and wasted lots. Now i just enjoy the music on my trusted focus 160’s yes there is better but now i just prefer to upgrade other parts of my system when i get the itch i look at different amps and dac’s etc after all amp tech and dacs are always changing. But no one has really re invented the loudspeaker its till a diaphram coil and crossover, I wonder how many ppl on her regret selling their speakers when an amp change might of been better. Sorry for the woffling on lol. Test your amp with 1.3’s if possible great speakers. Wish you luck in your search.

The contour range was better than the focus range. 1.1, 1.3, 1.3se and 1.8 were the early contour models followed by the 1.4 and 3.4.
All require a bit of room from rear walls unless you bung the port.
All excellent speakers but not the liveliest at low volumes.
Also lots of bass output so room sensitive. I owned virtually all of the above and enjoyed them thoroughly.
Hope that helps!

The contour range was better than the focus range. 1.1, 1.3, 1.3se and 1.8 were the early contour models followed by the 1.4 and 3.4.
All require a bit of room from rear walls unless you bung the port.
All excellent speakers but not the liveliest at low volumes.
Also lots of bass output so room sensitive. I owned virtually all of the above and enjoyed them thoroughly.
Hope that helps!

Thanks it certainly does

Any idea if the Special 25 or 40 are further developed Contours ?

Any idea if the Special 25 or 40 are further developed Contours ?

I had Contours 1.3 mk2 and Special 25 at the same time. I found them to be quite different speakers. While 1.3 mk2 could be shouty with some amplifiers, the top-end of Special 25 is exquisite. In my room 1.3 mk2 had way more bass, one could say the bass was even exaggerated. A friend who came by to listen to them said Contours were "much warmer". Poor or average recordings can sound terrible with Special 25s. I read a lot that Special 25s need a lot of space, but they are not boomy in my rather smallish room.

advertisement

Back