advertisement

Dylan- Rough And Rowdy Ways

MVV

pfm Member
So this arrived on vinyl this morning. Very nice package and sound quality for £21. Not bad for a double.
Contents obviously a matter of taste. I like it very much but then I'm a lyrics kind of chap.

Looking forward to hearing this, it's taken me years to warm to Dylan but think I'm getting there and I've heard this one is quite accessible.

I like the album but no surprises there eh? I haven't done a back to back but think I prefer the vinyl to CD.... I have an olive version on the way too... Yeah I know....

Looking forward to hearing this, it's taken me years to warm to Dylan but think I'm getting there and I've heard this one is quite accessible.

What other albums do you have already? Happy to give you my "tips" for various eras, all just my opinion of course.....

What other albums do you have already? Happy to give you my "tips" for various eras, all just my opinion of course.....
Highway 61 and a best of is all I'm really familiar with. I know blood on the tracks and blonde on blonde should be on my list, anything else?

Yep you’ve nailed it with those two for sure. For full disclosure I am a fan so please bear that in mind....

I like the albums that come before Highway 61 but we can leave those for now and for a BOTT era I’d have a listen to Desire.

Gospel albums try Slow Train Coming.
Next bunch try Infidels, it has one of my favourite tracks (I have many to be fair) in Jokerman.
You can jump to Knocked Out Loaded and although it’s not considered a great album I do like it and it has Brownsville Girl which is great.
Next up is Time Out of Mind.

After those I’d go back to:
The Times They Are a-A-Changin
Another Side of Bob Dylan
Bringing It All Back Home

If you get through those then you’re on your way so just take your pick from the rest.

Then live albums and Bootleg Series and hey presto you’ll be converted lol.

Hope you like some of them and again all just my opinion as I’m a fan :D:D:D

You can jump to Knocked Out Loaded and although it’s not considered a great album I do like it and it has Brownsville Girl which is great.

One of my least loved Dylan albums.

Biograph is well worth seeking out, a surprisingly cohesive collection of such a varied repertoire.

.sjb

One of my least loved Dylan albums.

Biograph is well worth seeking out, a surprisingly cohesive collection of such a varied repertoire.

.sjb

Ha I am not surprised, that’s usually the case. I thought Biograph might not be available but just looked on Qobuz and it’s on there so worth checking out if you can handle the b sides and rarities but then I guess that’ll warm you up nicely for the Bootlegs....

I've been enjoying this new album (it's been on Tidal since the US release date last month) - but got the Vinyl yesterday and think it sounds better that the digital stream (no surprise maybe?)
Its' one of those slow burners, that sounds ok on first listen, but reveals more depth the more you listen. I'm enjoying it anyway. That's possibly true of a lot of Dylan - it rewards continued listening rather than a snap judgement. I'm a fan too though, so make of that what you will.

Had Highway 61 blasting on the way back from mountain biking in the Surrey Hills. The title track has to be one of the greatest bits of rock n roll ever laid down.

His last great album was probably Love and theft, they've all been a bit JJ Cale since then, but I'll still get this on vinyl because it's Bob.

The new album seemed to have a lot of positive reviews before it was publicly available. My olive vinyl version is on the way so not heard it yet. I’m a latecomer to Dylan it must be said - only really got into him in the last five years or so

Can’t disagree with any of the above. Having got just about everything he has recorded I’d like to plug Time Out Of Mind. Doubt I’d say it was my favourite Dylan album but I find myself coming back to it when everything has waned. Probably because it is about entering and accepting being older. Which at 61 I’m trying to do too.

Not really liking Dylan’s stuff for the last 3 decades or so. My favourite albums are Bob Dylan (first), Planet Waves, Street Legal, Time Out of Mind, John Wesley Harding. Not the usual suspects,I suspect. I also like the earlier 4 or 5 but don’t play them very often. BOTT has a brilliant opening but a few inferior tracks as well IMHO.

We were listening to Leonard Cohen's Thanks for the Dance on vinyl last night, and then right afterwards Rough and Rowdy. Boy that was a shock to re-confirm that Dylan really doesn't have a singing voice. Try it sometime. But overall, I like the album.

Sorry in advance if it's already been mentioned as I've only scanned the comments above but just listened to The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan. Really, really good.

advertisement

Back