advertisement

DVLA Vehicle enquiry service

herb

brain's right hemisphere
I have just checked the history of vehicles I have owned in the past

GOV.UK - Enter the registration number of the vehicle (vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk)

1973 yellow Norton Commando Mk5. I put 13000 miles on it from new with no trouble at all. It is now used 50 miles a year I guess as a trophy machine with 26000 miles - excellent

2009 Honda Civic Type R. Lots of trouble but admired. I put 55000 miles on it up to 2016 and it now has 99000 miles after being sold on webuyanycar, The new owner has had his fun it seems - excellent

I can't remember the reg numbers of several other remarkable vehicles unfortunately though one never made it to its first MOT!

I've checked a few of my previous cars and I'm not sure what it says about me but few of them seem to have lasted very long after I got rid of them! It might just be saying that I tend to keep cars for a while as it's not that uncommon for me to keep them for 10+ years.

None of my cars were particularly collectable though - and the only motorbike I have that might be is one I still have (a Honda XBR500 from the 80's).

Just tried to look up my 1989 Golf, presumably it has finally rusted away to nothing :(
Vehicle details could not be found

The only other vehicle I've owned I still do! Well except the Yaris I bought from my Grandparents when my Granny got worried Grampa might forget he wasn't supposed to drive it any more! ...but I literally sorted a supermarket carpark scuff and sold it on after using it while I changed my gearbox so I don't really count that!

I just checked the 1985 Maestro that had a terminal engine problem (well, it did from the beginning but I digress) and the scrap yard gave me £30 for in 1995. Last registered 2001. o_O

I just checked the 1985 Maestro that had a terminal engine problem (well, it did from the beginning but I digress) and the scrap yard gave me £30 for in 1995. Last registered 2001. o_O

Just checked my old Maestro (a 1983 1.3 HLE) and that was last taxed in 1992 so is long dead sadly. I know by todays standards it was crap but I quite liked it - it was a big improvement over the Mini 1000 (bought from a car market for about £200 and with the dodgiest full years MOT I've ever encountered) and then the Skoda 120 Super Estelle (£120 from a car market - 1 owner, in immaculate condition, low mileage and with a years MOT!) that I had before it. It also developed a serious engine problem when the water pump died and took most of the rest of the engine with it. I had the engine rebuilt (and could only afford that as I got my uncle's garage to do the work at family rates) though and kept it for a few years - eventually replacing it when I bought my Dad's old company car (a Citroen BX estate - he replaced it with a BX GTi) for peanuts.

Mine are all dead soon after I get rid. The only survivor is a 1995 Caterham 7 I owned 2002-2007, which is a garage queen doing 500 miles a year.

A few years ago, I checked the Mazda MX-5 we bought new in 2006. We had to chop it in in 2008, just over 2 years since we bought it (due to my wife putting on a bit of weight, which she lost rapidly 9 months after, so needed something family friendly). Strange thing was, it never got its first MOT. I can only assume that someone put a personal reg on it, or ditched it!
I did however find my old Triumph Trophy 250, which I bought at 17. Ran it a few years, was a bit unreliable, so stripped it down with the intention of a nut and bolt rebuild and bought a Z400. It moved house 3 times in boxes, and realising that I would never get around to it (family arrived), I sold it on eBay as a basket case for over £900 around 2010. It last had an MOT in 2016, so did make it back on the road. No sign of the Z400, or FS1E DX though.

No sign of the Z400, or FS1E DX though.

When I was a teenager with a 125 in the early 80's the bikes I fancied I've move onto when I passed my test were either a Z400J or an XBR500. I eventually did get an XBR500 (although many, many years later) but for some reason I'd still like a Z400J. I've had other 4 cylinder 400's (a couple of Bandit 400's - one a UK model and the other a very lovely import) and liked them (and liked them more than the Bandit 600 I also had) but suspect it'd be quite hard to find a nice condition Z400J now. It'd be a great first big bike for my son when he gets around to passing his test.

When I was a teenager with a 125 in the early 80's the bikes I fancied I've move onto when I passed my test were either a Z400J or an XBR500. I eventually did get an XBR500 (although many, many years later) but for some reason I'd still like a Z400J. I've had other 4 cylinder 400's (a couple of Bandit 400's - one a UK model and the other a very lovely import) and liked them (and liked them more than the Bandit 600 I also had) but suspect it'd be quite hard to find a nice condition Z400J now. It'd be a great first big bike for my son when he gets around to passing his test.

Unfortunately, mine was the older, plodding twin!

Unfortunately, mine was the older, plodding twin!

The twin from that time that I fancied, and madly enough still do, was the Honda Superdream 400. It's possibly just as well that my garage is already full!

My first 125 was a twin (Honda CB125TB) and the Superdream was kind of its big brother, which maybe explains the attraction.

I must get around to checking the MOT history of some of the bikes in my garage as some of those won't have been MOT'd in a long, long time.

Wow, I've got an old Vespa 125 1957 which has been badly neglected. I never got around to SORNing it, however I have just found the details on the above site. Seems I can SORN it which is useful for keeping the original registration number should I get around to having it restored.

My kawasaki GPZ1000Rx is sorned so it is still around, I can’t remember any other regs.

Pete

One of my old cars is not coming up... others that I know to have been written off (given that I was in them at the time) are doing, is it possible that it’s because it’s on a private plate?

Odd if it is, it’s an old Peugeot 106 Diesel, totally utilitarian... I bloody loved it though, such a dependable car, cost nothing to run and was unstoppable in any weather, even deep snow. The couple who bought it off me had it to tow behind their motorhome, I’d like to think it’s still going!

One of my old cars is not coming up... others that I know to have been written off (given that I was in them at the time) are doing, is it possible that it’s because it’s on a private plate?

Odd if it is, it’s an old Peugeot 106 Diesel, totally utilitarian... I bloody loved it though, such a dependable car, cost nothing to run and was unstoppable in any weather, even deep snow. The couple who bought it off me had it to tow behind their motorhome, I’d like to think it’s still going!
Possibly traded the motorhome for a flat in foreign climes and the car is out there?

Possibly traded the motorhome for a flat in foreign climes and the car is out there?
Yes, it’s entirely possible it could’ve been exported, they fully intended to travel far, and then pitch up places for weeks at a time, using the little Pug to get around once they’d set up camp. It was basic as a car could be, but in extremely clean condition and mechanically perfect (I look after cars meticulously). It’s totally feasible for it to still be on the road now at 25 years old, it was perfect when I sold it seven years ago. They’re so incredibly reliable those old diesel Peugeots, put a new timing belt kit on it every few years, the usual routine maintenance and consumable items, which it consumes very, very slowly. My Golf GTI eats tyres and brakes... and fuel.

It was the perfect runaround and I only sold it because I was starting to suffer badly with my arthritis, and the lack of powered steering and the heavy clutch was becoming hard work for me. I’d probably struggle with 55 BHP now too, I’m used to 200+ in a daily runaround... I’d welcome the fuel savings though!

My 1991 Alfa 164 2.0, which I bought in 1995 for 3k and sold due to emigrating in 1997 for UKP1000 was last recorded untaxed in 2004, not bad for an Alfa

So, my first proper motorbike, an immaculate Yamaha RD500 no less, has not been taxed since the day I sold it many years ago! Probably another garage ornament, they were becoming sought after even back then, but if I’d bought it I would’ve at least wanted to see what it could do!

The oldest family cars I remember were a turquoise Austin 1100 and a blue Austin 1300. The reg on one of them was 804SC.
I actually saw this plate in the flesh on a BMW 3 series maybe 20 years ago. I have occasionally checked on the plate via DVLA and it later found itself onto Lexus 4x4 and now currently resides on an X5. It’s been around I guess, not sure it would have lasted long on the original motor though!

advertisement

Back