advertisement

Duty on second hand hifi from the EU

Their system may differ from country to country but it's quite transparent when I export.

It depends on exactly what you mean, but the charges apply everywhere.

The difference between quote and final invoice will be down to slight changes in exchange rate.

Go back a couple of years and there was an edict that anything entering the UK that had been shipped by a VAT-registered foreign business which was not registered in the UK to collect UK VAT, would be returned to the sender. The idea being that foreign senders would collect and remit UK VAT.
This seems to have been abandoned for at least the time-being. It was the major reason why lots of companies refused to ship anything to the UK after Brexit - they had to keep seperate account books for UK trade.

Vinny's right, exchange rate can have an impact at the time of calculation. I was once sent an item that was 1p over the threshold on the old import rates, £18 I think was the limit then with £36 for gifts and that 1p cost me an extra £8 on that £18.01 :(

Same thing can happen now albeit at a higher threshold

that 1p cost me an extra £8 on that £18.01

That illustrates the other problem - flat rate admin fees....... They were something like £10-12 per transaction pretty much with all couriers, but I recall a recent comment somewhere that the PO/ParcelForce have increased their charge to something like £15. It will be on their websites somewhere and if correct, the competition won't be far behind.

It makes import of any cheap, but taxable item, a very expensive exercise - £15 plus 22-23% on something that cost £30 (for instance) and another £7 to ship is a charge of around £23-24 when it gets caught by Customs - £30 becomes £60.

I imports plants and/or seeds several times per year, but with a phyto-sanitary cert' at $25-50 (depends on supplier) per shipment and a minimum carriage of around $20, plus Customs charges if the parcel gets found............................................ I now organise joint orders through a society so that we all, including me, share the fixed costs, which makes thing far more sensible.

So a granny in Australia can’t send an unsolicited gift to a niece in the Uk without proof that it cost less than 18 quid. ? What a wonderful world !

That illustrates the other problem - flat rate admin fees....... They were something like £10-12 per transaction pretty much with all couriers, but I recall a recent comment somewhere that the PO/ParcelForce have increased their charge to something like £15. It will be on their websites somewhere and if correct, the competition won't be far behind.

It makes import of any cheap, but taxable item, a very expensive exercise - £15 plus 22-23% on something that cost £30 (for instance) and another £7 to ship is a charge of around £23-24 when it gets caught by Customs - £30 becomes £60.
Yip, the fee at that time was around £7 and what made me laugh was that it was called a 'collection' fee, they didn't collect bugger all, I sent it :rolleyes: 😁

So a granny in Australia can’t send an unsolicited gift to a niece in the Uk without proof that it cost less than 18 quid. ? What a wonderful world !

To be honest, this has been the case for many years, but for whatever reason it was largely ignored, or, more probably, the number of Customs inspectors at ports of entry was laughably low. Not anymore.

It may well be linked to drugs and money-laundering -there has been a huge push across the western world to try to disrupt international crime in this respect.

You are going to pay 20% VAT + Import Duty and handling charges to the courier
If in Portugal, buying outside of Europe: Import taxes (could be from 18 to 35% in CDs and Hi-fi) + 23% VAT if in Portugal + handling charges (small fixed fee).
Base of calculation: goods cost + shipping cost.

Import taxes (could be from 18 to 35% in CDs and Hi-fi) + 23% VAT if in Portugal + handling charges (small fixed fee).
Base of calculation: goods cost + shipping cost.

OUCH, ouch and ouch!!!!!

Duty on anything but alcohol and tobacco are pretty much very low for UK imports. Brits obviously should not complain!!!!!
Yes, shipping is also money being spent outside of the UK, so always included in the calculations.

There are definitely inconsistencies. I've ordered from Mondo (brand new vinyl) when they do shipping deals: Sometimes the VAT / Customs Clearance is taken care of, sometimes not. This distinction is never mentioned on their web site.

I had something come in through FedEx..

I was expecting it and constantly checking updates. I saw it had landed snd then went to one hub, then another.

I knew there were charges payable - but couldn't pay until they emailed me to let me know how much etc.

By the time they contacted me, and paid immediately, they had already sent the item back to the US because it had sat for 14 days or whatever without duties paid.

When I complained, outraged understandably, they couldn't care less, saying I had to reclaim from hmrc. So when it was sent a second time, I had to pay again.

Will never use FedEx again.

Most of the imports that I arrange come in from RSA and end-up at a hub in Kent or at E Midlands airport. They can come via Germany or Heathrow - the most frequent arrival point is LHR and then they fly the parcel to EMA.
Most of the time it is DHL.

A few weeks back the DEFRA plant import system died for a few days, so the plants were at EMA for over a week waiting for inspection (DHL then screwed things up for another week). Apart from the delay, everything eventually went OK and the parcel was delivered.

The major consolation - despite DEFRA/PlantHealth finding the parcel, Customs did not, which amazed me.

Most of the imports that I arrange come in from RSA and end-up at a hub in Kent or at E Midlands airport. They can come via Germany or Heathrow - the most frequent arrival point is LHR and then they fly the parcel to EMA.
Most of the time it is DHL.

A few weeks back the DEFRA plant import system died for a few days, so the plants were at EMA for over a week waiting for inspection (DHL then screwed things up for another week). Apart from the delay, everything eventually went OK and the parcel was delivered.

The major consolation - despite DEFRA/PlantHealth finding the parcel, Customs did not, which amazed me.
If they are inspected I assume it's not Khat plants you import :D

If they are inspected I assume it's not Khat plants you import :D

There are many, many slightly and very dodgey botanical exports from RSA, maybe khat is one???? I've not heard so though.

RSA is a centre of floral/botanical endemism and the world and his friend wants a slice and one way or another many will support the "diggers", who, as ever, probably get paid peanuts for things like bulbs that sell for £50++++++++++ each in N America, Europe or Japan.

I had something come in through FedEx..

I was expecting it and constantly checking updates. I saw it had landed snd then went to one hub, then another.

I knew there were charges payable - but couldn't pay until they emailed me to let me know how much etc.

By the time they contacted me, and paid immediately, they had already sent the item back to the US because it had sat for 14 days or whatever without duties paid.

When I complained, outraged understandably, they couldn't care less, saying I had to reclaim from hmrc. So when it was sent a second time, I had to pay again.

Will never use FedEx again.
The same thing happened to me a few years ago. Despite my seller attaching my contact details, the courier didn't contact me to ask for payment. I've since learnt that if there is a tracking number and if it's likely that the seller is using Royal Mail to do the UK delivery, then entering the tracking number given by the seller in Royal Mail's tracking can allow you to access any payments due, and pay online. Much better than waiting for the grey card requesting payment that never comes from Royal Mail. If buying from ebay, ask if the seller will use their Global Shipping Programme - all duties are paid when payment is made for the item.

advertisement

Back