advertisement

dual teddycap against Naim supercap

I dont understand? Your friend is buying a dual teddy cap for a system he is selling and you have boxed up your own teddycap after using it for a while?

My best guess is that the Dual Teddycap is a very nice Christmas present and after checking that all was well is now put away till the 25th.

I dont understand? Your friend is buying a dual teddy cap for a system he is selling and you have boxed up your own teddycap after using it for a while?
He is not selling his system. I put it on gum tree so you can see the pictures; I put the teddycap back in the box for my Christmas

My best guess is that the Dual Teddycap is a very nice Christmas present and after checking that all was well is now put away till the 25th.

A bit of a torment though having to wait another week after a quick listen, I couldn't stop listening to my system after adding the TSC

here are some pictures the bottom pics are my friends Jason This is where I compared my oppo 95 to his NAIM-CDS3

2e.jpg

3e.jpg

5e.jpg

6e.jpg

j2.jpg

It’s back out the box and going to another friend’s house tomorrow to compare it to his NAIM Supercap, and then back in the box for Christmas this time!!!!!

7e.jpg

Man, the pressure sure gets the Teddycap out of the box earlier before Christmas. LOL That Dual Teddycap is looking peachy.

Nucky,

You suggested in another forum that the Supercap made the bass overblown and flabby (or words to that effect) when used on a 282. My experience has been the complete opposite more that there was better definition, depth and control true not with Dali speakers but logic would dictate that the impact would be the same regardless.

Regards,

Strat

I haven't heard a 282 w/Supercap but I seriously doubt "overblown and flabbly bass" would have been missed by Naim R&D or countless 282/SC owners. I'll leave everyone to their own conclusions regarding this.

Nucky,

You suggested in another forum that the Supercap made the bass overblown and flabby (or words to that effect) when used on a 282. My experience has been the complete opposite more that there was better definition, depth and control true not with Dali speakers but logic would dictate that the impact would be the same regardless.

Regards,

Strat
Overblown bass not flabbly, Not really think about it my speakers are already very bassy , so with the supercap there is far too much bass. My friend Garry has got PROAC speakers and he agrees with me. Here is Garry’s system with the NAIN Supercap and my Dual teddycap. The Dual teddy cap destroyed the Naim supercap in his system

g2.jpg

g1.jpg

Hi guys the above system is mine and i have to agree with nucky the dual teddy cap is an excellent piece of kit.

The soundstage is better the instruments sound more natural as do the voices the bass is tighter and more controlled, with the eagles you could actually hear the skins of the drums something you cant hear with the supercap.

The naim supercap is good but in my system the teddycap is better miles better.

Gary.

For what is worth I have been auditioning with a plan to buy using a loaned HiCap & a Dual TC
I've since bought a single TC as thats all I need on a Supernait.

To my ears & in my system the TC & HiCap sound is similar but there are clear differences in 2 areas. The most noticeable difference is bass which with both PSU’s is probably the most obvious change over a bare Supernait. The TC has no noticeable gain in the upper bass regions but does have nice progressive gain towards lower bass.
The HiCap bass is at first impressive with more of it throughout the whole bass range. But with my system (speakers) it was too much & became tiring on bass heavy material at higher volumes.
The second main difference is the TC has a more open realistic & airy presentation, it has more textural information & is closer to the stage front than the HiCap.
But in all other aspects the changes with TC are the much same as with HiCap. Both make good improvements to the bare Supernait, better stereo, realism, texture & detail & if the only choice was HiCap I would be happy.
Final point is (IMO) the TC does not change the Naim “sound” any more than does the HiCap; with a Supernait at least. If anything the famous Naim PRaT is more in all areas with TC, but the HiCap the bass prominence might just spoil something in my system.
My reasons for not choosing HiCap; bass prominence, less open presentation & transformer hum.

Yes good point, but I don't bother with money.
I'm one of those capitalist bastards who retired on gold plated inflation proof private sector pension.

I'll get me coat ..... :rolleyes:

For what is worth I have been auditioning with a plan to buy using a loaned HiCap & a Dual TC
I've since bought a single TC as thats all I need on a Supernait.

To my ears & in my system the TC & HiCap sound is similar but there are clear differences in 2 areas. The most noticeable difference is bass which with both PSU’s is probably the most obvious change over a bare Supernait. The TC has no noticeable gain in the upper bass regions but does have nice progressive gain towards lower bass.
The HiCap bass is at first impressive with more of it throughout the whole bass range. But with my system (speakers) it was too much & became tiring on bass heavy material at higher volumes.
The second main difference is the TC has a more open realistic & airy presentation, it has more textural information & is closer to the stage front than the HiCap.
But in all other aspects the changes with TC are the much same as with HiCap. Both make good improvements to the bare Supernait, better stereo, realism, texture & detail & if the only choice was HiCap I would be happy.
Final point is (IMO) the TC does not change the Naim “sound” any more than does the HiCap; with a Supernait at least. If anything the famous Naim PRaT is more in all areas with TC, but the HiCap the bass prominence might just spoil something in my system.
My reasons for not choosing HiCap; bass prominence, less open presentation & transformer hum.
Thanks for that, you are better explaining it than I am, I couldn’t agree more

I must agree.When I changed from Hi-Cap to dual Teddy Cap on nac 282.The bass became tighter with better definition, and the overall sound was more open and detailed.Further improvements can be made by changing the two standard snaics.

Re SNAIC's

Do you mean the original Naim wire - if so what colour is it - grey or black
The black is a big improvement over grey with any PSU

Not so sure about the change from Naim black to Teddy silver plated, I was not convinced, it was different but an improvement ?? not sure.
But it was just a quick swap & 15minute listen test

I have been told by an Israeli friend that when he tried the AR Sounds top end cable to replace the stnd Teddy cables that he could not detect a real difference.

advertisement

Back