advertisement

DSL-710A Stuck Drawer

DonaldStott

Donald
I have a Linn Classik Movie Di which has a DSL-710A with a stuck CD/DVD drawer.

First question - is this a belt drive or direct drive mechanism?

Second question - how do I disassemble the DSL-710A?

***UPDATE***

I Posted too soon as I got the top cover off the DSL-710A and removed all the dust, debris and other detritus.

Spotted and checked the belt which is still nice and tight.

Drawer now opens and closes very smoothly but I'll add some lubrication.

I'll leave this Thread open just in case other problems arise?

I put this to one side before properly reassembling and of course we still have a problem!

With the top cover of the DSL-710A screwed back on (two very small Philips screws) the drawer ONLY opens and closes when there is a CD/DVD present. If there is no CD/DVD the drawer will close but will not open again - the mechanism appears to be working properly but something is preventing the drawer from opening?

I had something similar happen with a friend's Mission PCM II cdp. Turned out that there was a bit of damping sheet that was starting to come adrift from inside the lid and hanging down enough to stop the drawer from opening.

Thanks Craig - what's different about this situation is that the drawer opens and closes when there is a CD/DVD present but won't open when there is no CD/DVD present?

Thanks Craig - what's different about this situation is that the drawer opens and closes when there is a CD/DVD present but won't open when there is no CD/DVD present?
Yes, this was the case with my mates Mission as well. Turned out to be a combination of factors. Sans disc the hanging bit of damping sheet was able to apply enough resistance to the back edge of disc rebate within the tray for the rubber belt to slip. With disc clamped in, the dangling sheet was held aloft up over this lip and therefore allowed the belt enough traction to open the drawer. Solution: the usual clean and re-grease running gear, fit new drawer belt, and remove petrified damping sheet.

Did you ever solve that common to this transport problem? It looks like the motor can't pull the mech down overcoming the strength of the magnet clamp. When the CD is inside the weight of the disc and slightly lower clamping force of the magnet is helping mechanism to deal with it . Now I took two of them apart, lubricated the hell of friction points and it helps somewhat but not if the player is not played often enough. It's an annoying problem.

I think I got it. The belt must be new. Even if you think it's alright and the drawer gets stuck after lubrication it will slip and won't pull the mech down enough to free the drawer being held by the magnet in the clamp.

advertisement

Back