advertisement

DSD download site linked on Audiostream

ok site & free download worked for me today - not sure why it didn't yesterday.

But having downloaded a .dsf music file, i've found put that VLC doesn't play it unfortunately.

My plan had been to listen on VLC with it presumably doing some sort of conversion and then natively later when the MDAC2 came along.

Now see my grasp DSD wasn't quite up to scratch - it seems you need an app and DAC both capable of DSD playback before you get anywhere.

Learned something new today :p

JRiver Media Center will convert both ways, real time if you want. And play native. Free trial for a month.

Thanks Andy.

Will probably hold on till I get my MDAC2 before installing JRiver, though I suppose I might download a few more of the files in meantime.

When and where can I buy the up grade for my Audiolab MDAC in Italy? There has to install it? Can I do it myself? It takes a technician does it cost?
Thanks for your kind answers.
Dario from Italy. Email: arch.dariogaballo @ gmail.com

When and where can I buy the up grade for my Audiolab MDAC in Italy? There has to install it? Can I do it myself? It takes a technician does it cost?
Thanks for your kind answers.
Dario from Italy. Email: arch.dariogaballo @ gmail.com
You would probably be best posting on the M-dac thread, where all the information can be found.
But if you are in a rush the answers are
http://mdac2.lakewestaudio.com/
and yes you can do it yourself

But you will get a fuller answer on the M-dac thread (see for example pricing and options here http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showpost.php?p=2339647&postcount=222)

word of warning - the files on this site can be rather large depending upon the resolution you choose to download - be patient and make sure your DAC is capable of playing the files.

Is DXD better than DSD 128? Also I haven't heard of any home equipment that can playback DSD 256?

The SQ improvement of DSD256 over DSD128 is quite noticeable on a good system, much bigger jump in SQ than you get from converting from 24/96 to 24/192 IME

The SQ improvement of DSD256 over DSD128 is quite noticeable on a good system, much bigger jump in SQ than you get from converting from 24/96 to 24/192 IME

I really wish you were right and that adding inaudible bits over inaudible bits made more difference than, in my experience, it ever does.

Tim

By converting do you mean taking a 24/96 file and using a utility (such as DBPoweramp etc.) on it to get a 24/192 file?

I really wish you were right and that adding inaudible bits over inaudible bits made more difference than, in my experience, it ever does.

Tim

Yes, it's easy to trip over this. There have been a few red faces when DSD has been found to contain conversions from PCM. My jury is well and truly out until I can reliably compare the same mastering with no futzing or level issues.

Tim

It's where in the frequency spectrum you stick these inaudible bits and then what kind of filter you use to attenuate these bits that makes for the audible difference

Item T1, Win 8 HQ Player > Exasound E20 MK III > Hypex NCore NC400 > KEF Blade

advertisement

Back