advertisement

Dropping a TV from the ceiling

This project is Maker fodder. You're going to cut up your own ceiling and build your own box and adapt your own wheelchair winch...just buy any other needed bits and roll your own. Find a proper maker/DIY forum for helpful advice.

I would think much easier to create a hinged mount so the TV can lie flat against the ceiling when not in use, and hinge down to view. Hinge adjustable for angle so TV can be angled downwards for viewing whilst lying down. Some Phillips TVs acted as a mirror when 'off' so a mirrored ceiling over the bed!

maximus-white.jpg

Even at that distance 40" would be the bare acceptable minimum.

As background, I'm a retired Mechanical Engineer who used to work within the actuator and associated equipment industry. Hardly a week would go by without a keen DIY'er coming on looking for a cheap way to re-invent the wheel! Mechanically, there's more to moving (and controlling said movement safely) TVs and the like around than may be at first obvious. Just use something from the below company (no relationship to me); they've done all the hard work for you and they do make good quality equipment:

https://www.futureautomation.co.uk/About/Applications/Residential

This project is Maker fodder. You're going to cut up your own ceiling and build your own box and adapt your own wheelchair winch...just buy any other needed bits and roll your own. Find a proper maker/DIY forum for helpful advice.
I just though some one may have experience of it.

As background, I'm a retired Mechanical Engineer who used to work within the actuator and associated equipment industry. Hardly a week would go by without a keen DIY'er coming on looking for a cheap way to re-invent the wheel! Mechanically, there's more to moving (and controlling said movement safely) TVs and the like around than may be at first obvious. Just use something from the below company (no relationship to me); they've done all the hard work for you and they do make good quality equipment:

https://www.futureautomation.co.uk/About/Applications/Residential
Thanks looked at them before as they do under bed lifts but it wont fit, they only appear to do lifts, nothing to drop it from the ceiling. Being an engineer myself I realise its not as straight forward as it looks but I see no reason why it cant be built its not rocket science.

Their "Ceiling Hinge" looks to be useful for your situation - as far as I can tell from your descriptions.
I do like that as its flush to the ceiling, couple of issues, the joist width would mean I have to remove one joist which brings its own issues and its £5000!
Having looked for a few weeks the commercial systems are usually very expensive.
The issues I have one corner of the bed is close to the wardrobes as they follow the contour of the wall so I cant use an end of bed lift.
Wardrobe doors go almost to the ceiling so I cant fold it up on to the ceiling, the concealed ceiling folder is very good but not for my joist spacing.
This is the reason I asked as some one might have an idea I am missing

Thanks looked at them before as they do under bed lifts but it wont fit, they only appear to do lifts, nothing to drop it from the ceiling. Being an engineer myself I realise its not as straight forward as it looks but I see no reason why it cant be built its not rocket science.
A 'lift' ought to work upside-down, I would think. If it's got power to overcome gravity in one direction it should have the same power in the other.

A 'lift' ought to work upside-down, I would think. If it's got power to overcome gravity in one direction it should have the same power in the other.
Thats what I thought, bought a bed lift from a damaged bed it was vey well built like a Rolls Royce which was quite surprising contacted the very helpful Chinese manufacturer who told me no it wont work and would fail, not sure why.
Just tested the wheel chair winch and it works well, very quiet, simple to add a remote too. Using a winch also gives more flexibility as it can be mounted remotely.
Trying to work out my telescopic slides now and decide what TV to buy.

Thanks had a quick look, lamp cost puts me off and I would need a screen as no spare flat wall to project it on to.
They are cheaper than a TV though and the last one I tried was old
You can buy recessed in-ceiling projector screens off the shelf - should be a doddle to fit compared to what you're proposing to do with the TV.

advertisement

Back