advertisement

Driving in Europe - London to Stockholm

I'd do this with two overnight stops at around 400 and 800 miles. The farthest I've driven in one day over the last few years is Lyon to Calais which is around 500 miles, and I wouldn't really want to drive much further that that in a single day. You may be different.

The breathalyser is still legally required in France, but there's no penalty if you're stopped and don't have one in the car. The story was that the factory that made them was owned by a relative of Sarkozy, it wouldn't surprise me if that was the case.

Have a good trip.

I did Southampton to Prague a couple of years with an overnight stopover in germany which was about 850 miles via the chunnel. It was a fairly easy drive but wouldn't fancy it with a dog and kid in the car.

Taking the channel tunnel is more flexible and cheaper, but the overnight Harwich-Hook of Holland ferry reduces driving and gets you started on the continent in the morning.

Taking the channel tunnel is more flexible and cheaper, but the overnight Harwich-Hook of Holland ferry reduces driving and gets you started on the continent in the morning.

Ah yes, that's the one I was thinking of when I referred to Felixstowe, upthread.

I agree with Julf. Also, I suspect your 8 year old might love the ferry trip.

Harwich Hook crossing is good I have done two returns in daytime but if I want to go to Denmark I would do the overnight from Harwich. With the flexible tickets it is almost a turn up and go service (do not know about cabin reservations for the over night crossing.

The Direct Ferry web site

http://www.directferries.co.uk/

gives details of all UK to the continent routes.

I have completed many long continental trips in all sorts of vehicles, these include:

- VW Type 2 (50hp - several 1500+ mile trips in that)
- VW T4 (when it was nearly new and it had lots of hp - about 2500+ mile round trip and lots of 6-700 mile ones)
- VW 1200 Beetle (34hp - did a 3500 mile round trip in that)
- VW Lupo (60hp - several 2500+ mile trips)
- and most recently several long (over 2000 mile) jaunts in a Volvo C30.

All good advice so far from other posters but here are a few key things that I found to be useful:

• Keep each leg of the journey as long as is safe for you, the driver. If you keep stopping it will take forever.
  • Keep to the blue roads (motorways) even if it seems to add several hundred miles to your route. It will usually be quicker and, very importantly, are more comfortable for the passengers. Non Motorway routes are not only usually slower; they normally involve more braking, accelerating and general chucking of your precious loads about the vehicle.
  • Children LOVE big vehicles. I have only ever traveled long distances with kids in van type vehicles and it seems to really work. They have room to spread out and don't seem to suffer with travel sickness or boredom as much.
  • Stories for small people to listen to. The audio versions of Roald Dahl stories like 'The Twits' were very popular when mine were 8 or thereabouts.

I have never traveled for more than a few hundred miles with a dog so that would be new territory for me.

I'd recommend fly/drive tbh, have driven there from NW England via ferry years back -there's really cheap flights to Copenhagen and drive over the bridge via Malmo if the flights to Stockholm are prohibitively expensive

P & O ferries do Hull to Zeebrugge or Rotterdam,I use it 2-3 times a year its a good service. There is also a Newcastle to Amsterdam ferry which is now the nearest to sweden with the demise of the direct ferries to norway

Clive

Thanks for all your comments people.

I'm investigating the Harwich to Hook route and then onto Stockholm. Still leaves quite a drive, around 1000 miles. I think that would need to be done over 3 days/2 nights. Does anyone have any thoughts on stops? Bremen, Hamburg, Malmo, etc, etc...

I'm investigating the Harwich to Hook route and then onto Stockholm. Still leaves quite a drive, around 1000 miles. I think that would need to be done over 3 days/2 nights. Does anyone have any thoughts on stops? Bremen, Hamburg, Malmo, etc, etc...

Bremen is too soon after Hook. Hamburg is better. Copenhagen is nicer than Malmö. Not much interesting between Malmö and Stockholm, unless you take the slightly longer/slower east coast route.

Thanks for all your comments people.

The Harwich/Hook route is slow and expensive (9 hours or something like that or an overnight on the ferry). I would go Dover/Dunkirk (2 hours). Dunkirk is only about 3 hours south from where you would end up joining the main motorway network from The Hook.

The Harwich/Hook route is slow and expensive (9 hours or something like that or an overnight on the ferry).

Expensive yes, but the slowness doesn't matter if you take the overnight one.

I would go Dover/Dunkirk (2 hours). Dunkirk is only about 3 hours south from where you would end up joining the main motorway network from The Hook.

Or add an hour if traffic around Antwerp is bad.

Madness? Perhaps...

Has someone taken a similar journey and can anyone recommend stops on the way or perhaps some common sense tips for the drive? I think we'd aim at doing it in two nights and my wife and I would share the driving.

Thanks in advance.
Jay

I've done it several times and there used to be a few options to get there.

I used to like the UK to Denmark ferry or the overnight UK to Holland and the drive on, but think the former has gone now. Pity as you could have stopped at Legoland. The tunnel option is a schlep.

Via Holland overnight and Germany is pretty fast on the autobhan. Two nights sounds sensible—stay in Skåne and stop in Copenhagen for lunch. The Öresund bridge crossing is spectacular, then come back via the ferry and see Hamlet's castle.

Driving onwards in Sweden is a really nice journey—the roads are clear and the "turn left in 200km" satnav instructions amusing.

Sweden is full of beautiful picnic spots near lakes and the towns en-route mostly lovely as are Swedes, mostly.

I miss Sweden!

Stephen

I've driven a similar route many times (Paris-Stockholm and then on to Finland or Norway). It's very doable and the motorways now run all the way through Denmark and Sweden, a big improvement: no more ferries!

There are 2 ways to do it: go at it, or potter. In the first option you can do it in two days. As you will have to make frequent stops (dog etc.) you should allow for 2 nights on the road, which would be 600-700 km a day, quite reasonable. Traffic in Germany is slower and a bit less manic than it used to be, and Belgian and Scandinavian drivers are generally pretty laid back.

I usually left Paris at a reasonable time in the morning (8 or 9) to avoid the rush hour in Lille and would aim to spend the night around Copenhagen. 1250 km roughly, doable in 10 to 12 hours plus breaks, depending on traffic and roadworks in Germany. Day 2 would be devoted to getting through Sweden on E4, to be in Stockholm around 4 or 5 pm. Only another 700 km, but it used to take a long time to get around Vättern before the motorway was finished to Mjölby, and speed limits in Sweden are low. Itinerary was up A1 to Belgium, Liège, Cologne, then usually Autobahn 1 around the East of the Ruhrgebiet (area of worst congestion) to Münster. after which the Autobahn would usually be a lot clearer.

Coming from the UK, you would most probably go through Bruges, Ghent, Antwerp and go north of the Ruhr to Münster. 2 options after that: ferry from Puttgarden to Denmark, or land route through Bremen, Hamburg, Flensburg, Kolding, Odense. Now that all the bridges are built in Denmark, this land route is probably faster. You just have to time your itinerary to avoid the rush hour in the main urban concentrations (Antwerp, Ruhr, Hamburg, etc.) and that often means cracking on as fast as reasonably possible on the clear stretches. Traffic is slower in Denmark. After Copenhagen, over the bridge to Malmö, up to Helsingborg, then to Ljungby, on through all the various Köpings to Stockholm.

If you want to take easier (probably a must with a dog), there are many beautiful places to stop: Bruges (stunning place), Ghent (almost as good), Antwerp (also very nice), Leuven, Aachen (Charlemagne's capital city, see his cathedral-mausoleum, one of the oldest in Europe), Köln (soaring Gothic cathedral). I would avoid the Ruhr (there are many interesting places, but not easy for a quick stop) and stop in Münster instead (nice cathedral, a few medieval bits left). Oldenburg is a bit of a detour but has a nice old centre. Lübeck is pretty (if you take the ferry to Puttgarden). In Denmark, the island of Fyn is very pretty. Odense is worth exploring on foot (Andersen's home town). Copenhagen, of course. In Sweden, Lund and Helsingborg are both well worth a stop, and the motorway along Vättern is very scenic. I'm sure there are many other worthy sites in Sweden, but I don't know much about any of the places in Småland except for Växsjö (lively but not tremendously interesting) as I've usually been cracking on to get to Stockholm in time for something.

Google Traffic (or similar) is your friend for figuring out when the traffic peaks are each day and avoiding the worst snarl ups, so the ability to get data in Europe would be a plus.

Expensive yes, but the slowness doesn't matter if you take the overnight one.

Or add an hour if traffic around Antwerp is bad.

In some ways I agree with both these points and yet its not that straight forward. I have used the overnight ferry and I find I get off it feeling totally knackered. Not everyone sleeps well on boats.

And an extra hour around Antwerp is still quicker than the slow boat to the Hook. You also need to factor in the Woof. Having a hound on a long ferry crossing gives you other issues to deal with which you are less likely to face on a short crossing.

A mate of mine drove from Manchester to Sweden and back and camped for the whole two weeks. I'm sure he said it was even a Smart car. They're not together anymore, but I don't think this was the cause. He said it was a great adventure.

With a dog, Eurotunnel is best as the pooch stays in the car with you; otherwise Dover > Dunkirk, (s)he stays in the car; overnight ferries the options are less good (they usually have a kennel onboard, but do not allow dogs in cabins).

As for motorway stops for the dog (I have driven thousands of miles around Europe with family & doodle), unless I know a service station has a rear service exit into countryside (quite a few do in Germany, unlike UK), I always turn off the motorway in a rural area and invariably find a safe field, woodland path, whatever, within a kilometre or three. Whatever you do, don't stop at those motorway "rest stops", as any available woodland behind is invariably a foul area full of human shite...

Edit : & I assume you have checked out your destination island is more than just a lump of rock with a cabin, ie. suitable for a dog (should be great swimming for a Lab) ...

Eurotunnel and dog is a piece of cake. Annoyingly they charge you extra for the dog although you can take as many people as you want for the basic price.

On the way out you don't have to do anything extra for the dog, but on the way back you stop at the pet passport building near the entrance and they scan the dog and check the paperwork. The dog's passport has to be stamped by a vet within 5 days (IIRC) of return travel to say (a) that the dog is fit to travel and (b) that it has been wormed. Obviously the rabies vaccination stamp has to be up to date. Vets in France charge 30 euros or so for this.

advertisement

Back