advertisement

driving charges in London

^ don't be silly. Michelin stars are not everything but they do indicate.
London has three 3*, ten 2* and fifty six 1*.
Manchester and Liverpool have not a single star between them. Leeds has one 1*.

Michelin stars indeed mean little...who when they eat our regularly goes to Michelin star restaurants?

The quality of more typical restaurants is much more important. London is certainly no better then than the rest of the country for typical restaurants and in IME often poorer but like anywhere you need to know where to go so maybe that's been my issue.

I've heard it said that Manchester doesn't get Michelin starred restaurants because the sort of places that could offer the necessary quality are not supported by enough people in Manchester. I've certainly seen superb places, offering food head and shoulders above the norm, failing due to lack of clientele.

On the news London has highest shop closures in the UK: 500 NET last year. That should cheer you all up.
There is a new internet rule: at some point all threads merge into Brexit.

Always loved London and I appreciate the efforts they make to get it clean.

I used to drive up and park off Leicester Square but that got seriously expensive then they banned drink driving which made days a bit steady..

I now get the train and book well in advance so it's cheap.

I'm impressed by the improvements in cleanliness, esp since smoking was limited. The air is already a lot better than it used to be, you could go in for a quick
meeting and come home with a dirty grey collar from the fumes.

Service is now getting rather continental, waiters have learnt to be polite.

Booked in for Festival Hall, Weller, Skunk and a couple of lunches at the moment, more excuses will arise.

I don't have much cause, or desire, to drive my car in London. However, I fail to see why me doing so in a well maintained and legal 2004 car will now attract a charge, whilst a deisel taxi idling for days on end belching out black smoke and particulates won't.
More worryingly, Manchester is looking at similar measures. I do have cause to drive there.
I'm entirely sympathetic to the cause of reducing pollution, but while public transport ( buses and taxis in particular) continue to belch out crap and while public transport in general is run for the benefit of the operators rather than the users, the proposed punitive approaches seem to me to be way off the mark.

More worryingly, Manchester is looking at similar measures. I do have cause to drive there.
I'm entirely sympathetic to the cause of reducing pollution, but while public transport ( buses and taxis in particular) continue to belch out crap and while public transport in general is run for the benefit of the operators rather than the users, the proposed punitive approaches seem to me to be way off the mark.
We tend to use one of the various Park & Ride schemes operated by Metrolink. For two of us, the cost is broadly similar to a day's parking in the city centre. The main downside is the shutting of the service around midnight at weekends, and somewhat earlier midweek. One would hope any revenue from a charging scheme would be reinvested in Metrolink and other public transport services.

All depends on how they define 'City Centre' I suppose. For e.g, as I recall the Mancunian Way is a major through route...
Both of my daughters live in Salford, ( the posh parts.. obviously.... :rolleyes: ) which of course isn't Manchester, but is dangerously close.

Did the congestion charge reduce congestion? Will these new charges reduce pollution or just raise revenue? I see that despite a 10% drop in the number of vehicles since CC introduction 2017 has seen record pollution levels...

Wouldn't surprise me if that is down to increased numbers of taxis and buses to replace relatively clean private cars.

Blue badge holders are exempt from paying the Congestion Charge I believe..... is it the same for the pollution charge?

I imagine there is a huge spike in applications for Blue Badges in That London compared to elsewhere.

advertisement

Back