advertisement

Dreadful modern batteries

Thank you all for the advice. Upon dismantling I found to my surprise that the battery that has just failed is in fact a Renata so scratch that.Unfortunately it appears the Procell is not available in the right size so working on the basis of what can Amazon supply today, Energizers were ordered and now installed. We will see how long they last.

Is there possibly a fault condition with the device that is causing this new rapid battery drain?

Getting back to the Ladda as cut price Eneloop question, a bit of web research indicates that all 'Made in Japan' rechargeable batteries are nowadays produced in the same FDK factory. One interesting bit of evidence in support of the Ladda 2450mAh cells being the same as Eneloop Pro is that 2450mAh is the minimum spec for the same cells that have their typical capacity listed as 2700mAh. As such, a given OEM branded cell could be listed at anywhere between 2450 and 2700 and still be considered within specification.

I don't have any specs on the new IKEA 1900mAh AA offering, other than them also having been made in Japan.

aa-battery.jpg

Is there possibly a fault condition with the device that is causing this new rapid battery drain?

That may well be the case Tony but the readings so far seem accurate when checked by the trusty Garden cane. I would far rather have a proper sight glass but that would be almost impossible to install given you can’t really drain a modern bunded tank.

If you look at the latest reviews for this size of battery on Amazon none of them seem to get a good review.

Thank you all for the advice. Upon dismantling I found to my surprise that the battery that has just failed is in fact a Renata so scratch that.Unfortunately it appears the Procell is not available in the right size so working on the basis of what can Amazon supply today, Energizers were ordered and now installed. We will see how long they last.
Renata is often faked on the usual online sales places

Good point. There are loads of fake batteries out there. I try to only buy from reputable sources, e.g. look very carefully at the specific seller on Amazon etc. Amazon themselves should be fine, as will local supermarkets like Asda, Tesco, chains like Currys etc, likewise big electrical stores like Farnell, RS etc, but beyond that I start to get suspicious.

Good point. There are loads of fake batteries out there. I try to only buy from reputable sources, e.g. look very carefully at the specific seller on Amazon etc. Amazon themselves should be fine, as will local supermarkets like Asda, Tesco, chains like Currys etc, likewise big electrical stores like Farnell, RS etc, but beyond that I start to get suspicious.

One thing about Amazon where multiple sellers warehouse their goods at Amazon for dispatch, they're all mixed up together so there's no distinction between stock.

I bought a 600mAh (allegedly) battery for a Dyson hand vac on eBay. First thing I noticed was it wasn’t driving the same speed on the Dyson as the old one, under voltage? Then the Dyson stopped altogether even though led came in when trigger pulled, serious undervoltage? Needs to go back.

My school calculator, an FX100 from 1983, still has its original pair of Casio AAs. The calculator was still working when I last saw it about four years ago.

This made me check my Casio FX100 - it still has the original Casio batteries, circa 1985, working and not leaking!

When I bought my 2010 Mac mini used from a local video advertising contractor, it came with nothing but the power cord. Apple wanted $29 for the HDMI to DVI adapter that would have come with, so I decided to have a look on eBay on the off chance first. Found one billed as Genuine Apple and coming from Hong Kong for $5 delivered. It would have cost me that much in gas to drive over to the Apple Store and back. Anyway, item came with a small hairline crack in the DVI end plastic housing; I mentioned this to the seller and was sent a second perfect one FOC. Even looking at these using my loupe, there is no way that they didn't come out of the same factory as supplied Apple. Perhaps QC failures from out the back door, although the second one looks and works fine. Regardless, I remain mildly shocked that one can ship worldwide out of China for less than the cost of a padded envelope from Canada Post over here.

I bought the rubber grip for the exterior of a Nikon D200 DSLR from eBay. Comparing it to the original Nikon grip it was clear from the molding marks on the backside of the rubber these two parts came out of the same tool. Which lead me to think the Nikon supplier had a side line in unofficial parts supply to the end user.

Another warning, this time from Dave on EEVBlog. A nice Fluke meter destroyed by crappy Energiser alkaline batteries. I’m using rechargeable or lithium everywhere now.

I bought the rubber grip for the exterior of a Nikon D200 DSLR from eBay. Comparing it to the original Nikon grip it was clear from the molding marks on the backside of the rubber these two parts came out of the same tool. Which lead me to think the Nikon supplier had a side line in unofficial parts supply to the end user.
Or alternatively that Nikon used a number of suppliers and allowed them to supply the aftermarket suppliers too. It happens a lot. In automotive, an awful lot.

I’ve just got the standard black Eneloop charger which goes red, amber green for each battery location IIRC. As such you may be able to tell something by charging some old ones and new ones at the same time. I don’t know anything about batteries though, so that’s all guesswork.

Ocado are selling these c/w 4 Pro AA Batteries for half retail price £22:00, their other Eneloop bats sold out pretty quickly, I managed to grabbed 8 non pro + the item I am posting a link.

Ist time home delivery is discounted 25%...

Panasonic Eneloop Pro LED AA/AAA Charger 4 Hour +4AA | Ocado

Last edited:
if you do have a battery failure which ruins a piece of equipment, then do contact the manufacturer as if faulty they should refund the cost of the equipment

One word of warning with modern lithium batteries, e.g. these Energiser Ultimate (Amazon) is they don’t half pack a punch. I wondered why my doorbell didn’t work after sticking a pair in so took them out and measured them with my multimeter (a Fluke 87V, so very accurate). They came in at 1.8V! I assume they were over-volting the circuit. Putting a standard pair of alkaline Duraleaks in and all was fine again. Annoying as the lithium ones should last for ages and would never leak. The doorbell is picky and wants more voltage than a rechargeable, but obviously less than that!

Never, ever put these anywhere near something like a Sony WM-D6C as there is a very good chance you’d fry an irreplaceable chip. In fact I’ll crosspost this in my Walkman Pro thread.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
53606817145_209af39570_b.jpg

Bumping to highlight these neat little adapters (Amazon) that will enable the use of Eneloop Pro (or any other nice rechargeable AA) in kit that takes a Size C battery. The batteries obviously won’t last as long, but in vintage kit such as the Sony above it does mean you can leave batteries in there long-term without the risk of crappy alkaline Duracells, Energisers etc totally destroying it.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back