advertisement

DPD skam

wylton

Naim and Mana member
I fell for a scam today.

I had ordered some bits for my laptop, which were scheduled for delivery today. I hadn't noted which courier was going to be used. We took the dog for a walk and on our return, I checked my email messages and found one from DPD saying that they had tried to deliver a parcel. There was a link taking you to the DPD site, where you could reschedule delivery. I clicked on it and it gave you two options, tomorrow would be £3 or Saturday would be £1. I chose tomorrow and gave my credit card details. A dialogue box came up which said that in order to protect my account and guard against fraud, some more details would be required to prove I was who I claimed to be. Did that and a pictogram came up asking you to select those squares that had a traffic light in. After all that, no rescheduling information came up, so I googled DPD, and tried to check delivery using the number on the email; number not recognised! It was then that I realised I had been scammed!

I tried to ring Barclays fraud line, but couldn't get through. So, I went down to my branch to cancel the card and freeze the account and made an appointmnet to go back tomorrow.

In the meantime, I'd dropped the phone into my bag and returned home. When I retrieved the phone from the bag, it was still ringing because I had forgotten to cancel the call and by coincidence, a person answered the call at that very moment! The Barclays staff are still working from home, hence the delay. The person from the fraud office at Barclays ensured me that my account was safe and that a new card would be issued in a couple of days. Apparently the scam normally involves a return call or email trying to extract more information from you in order that they can relieve you of you hard earned!

I thought I was beyond being scammed, but it was so convincing! A quick check of either the email or web address would have sufficed.

...tomorrow would be £3 or Saturday would be £1...
I think my alarm bells might have rung there... re-scheduling doesn’t normally cost, does it?

I had one of the ‘an iPhone has been charged to your account, click here to cancel’ sort the other day. Although sent to my email address it used my neighbour’s name. I had ordered a satellite receiver from a company once but placed the order in his name as I was away from home for a period. Presumably the company’s records had been hacked.

I must admit, I'm being inundated with email scams at the moment ever since virgin media was hacked. Most of them are of the 'your subscription to <various anti-virus providers>has expired ilk.

I very nearly fell for a similar one from the Royal Mail, I got as far as giving my personal details, but bailed out as soon as I saw a request for a card number. I started a thread on it a week or so ago. The thing that threw me right off guard with this one it was a text message and appeared in an existing Messages conversation with legitimate RM texts. The concealed embedded link had one letter different in the URL and the site looked totally legit. These scams are getting *very* good now.

I very nearly fell for a similar one from the Royal Mail, I got as far as giving my personal details, but bailed out as soon as I saw a request for a card number. I started a thread on it a week or so ago.

I missed that thread Tony, else I would have been forewarned!

That thread is here. Hugely annoyed as it likely means my fairly private mobile number has been harvested, though they obviously had it previously to be able to send the text. I’ve not had any spam/scam texts since though.

I fell for a scam today.

I had ordered some bits for my laptop, which were scheduled for delivery today. I hadn't noted which courier was going to be used. We took the dog for a walk and on our return, I checked my email messages and found one from DPD saying that they had tried to deliver a parcel. There was a link taking you to the DPD site, where you could reschedule delivery. I clicked on it and it gave you two options, tomorrow would be £3 or Saturday would be £1. I chose tomorrow and gave my credit card details. A dialogue box came up which said that in order to protect my account and guard against fraud, some more details would be required to prove I was who I claimed to be. Did that and a pictogram came up asking you to select those squares that had a traffic light in. After all that, no rescheduling information came up, so I googled DPD, and tried to check delivery using the number on the email; number not recognised! It was then that I realised I had been scammed!

I tried to ring Barclays fraud line, but couldn't get through. So, I went down to my branch to cancel the card and freeze the account and made an appointmnet to go back tomorrow.

In the meantime, I'd dropped the phone into my bag and returned home. When I retrieved the phone from the bag, it was still ringing because I had forgotten to cancel the call and by coincidence, a person answered the call at that very moment! The Barclays staff are still working from home, hence the delay. The person from the fraud office at Barclays ensured me that my account was safe and that a new card would be issued in a couple of days. Apparently the scam normally involves a return call or email trying to extract more information from you in order that they can relieve you of you hard earned!

I thought I was beyond being scammed, but it was so convincing! A quick check of either the email or web address would have sufficed.
And you are certain of the veracity of the phone call from Barclays...?

I must admit, I'm being inundated with email scams at the moment ever since virgin media was hacked. Most of them are of the 'your subscription to <various anti-virus providers>has expired ilk.
I have had several automated calls to my Virgin landline telling me I am about to lose my broadband because of illegal activity.
I just ignore them.

I had ordered some bits for my laptop, which were scheduled for delivery today. I hadn't noted which courier was going to be used. We took the dog for a walk and on our return, I checked my email messages and found one from DPD saying that they had tried to deliver a parcel.

It's those little coincidences...

It's worth highlighting that many bank apps now allow the user to self lock their cards/accounts; useful if scam suspected or card lost etc.

Decent security software on a computer will usually pick up dodgy sites along with unsafe re-directs

The golden rule is never click on any link in an e-mail. If the mail looks legitimate then any action required can always be achieved by logging directly on to the site concerned.

I had a Royal Mail one recently; very impressively done but close inspection revealed it as a scam.

And you are certain of the veracity of the phone call from Barclays...?

Yes, because the lady in the bank gave me the telephone number and the person on the phone sent a text to my phone that I had to read back to her. As far as I could tell it was all above board.

There's an O2 scam that nearly caught my wife the other day. Someone phones offering a new package, you say get off that's a known scam. They say we'll text you back. Text come through O2-UK we recenty phoned you about a new deal blah, blah. Only the very quick witted would notice that the real O2 texts come through as O2UK without the hyphen

Thanks for the timely warnings, it is so easy for people to put their hand in your pocket these days - actually far worse than your pocket!

I have had several automated calls to my Virgin landline telling me I am about to lose my broadband because of illegal activity.
I just ignore them.
I have had a few of those but supposedly from Talk Talk. I haven't been a Talk Talk customer for years since Dido managed to hand out lots of customer’s details to scammers. She has since gone on to fame in the The Jockey Club and then managing Trust and Disgrace.

There's an O2 scam that nearly caught my wife the other day. Someone phones offering a new package, you say get off that's a known scam. They say we'll text you back. Text come through O2-UK we recenty phoned you about a new deal blah, blah. Only the very quick witted would notice that the real O2 texts come through as O2UK without the hyphen

First call via a landline, the other to a mobile? If so that is bad news as it means your personal data has been harvested to the extent scammers are able to connect the two.

First call via a landline, the other to a mobile? If so that is bad news as it means your personal data has been harvested to the extent scammers are able to connect the two.

I believe so. Even the nhs is selling our data, it's everywhere.

advertisement

Back