advertisement

Downsizing

Most of the people I know who sold their vinyl ended up regretting it. In fact I just met a guy today who sold his vinyl because his wife said it took up too much space. He now has an SME turntable and no longer has the wife!

As Mr Punch would say " That's the way to do it "

Storage is more expensive than you think; it adds up to a fair chunk over a few years. My suggestion;

Get rid of it all now

Buy a Naim Muso, subscribe to Qobuz, or whatever and see how you get on with no physical media

When you find your retirement place, you can then start thinking about what best suits you & your life then. It'll be a fun adventure/project

Storage is more expensive than you think; it adds up to a fair chunk over a few years. My suggestion;

Get rid of it all now

Buy a Naim Muso, subscribe to Qobuz, or whatever and see how you get on with no physical media

When you find your retirement place, you can then start thinking about what best suits you & your life then. It'll be a fun adventure/project

This

Storage is silly expensive...and that's just in some damp container on an individual estate

No saying the gear will be worth keeping after two or three years (and a couple of thousand pounds)

Clear it out. I have a rule now with kit, if it ain’t being used, it can go. You’d be amazed at the quality available today from small form systems.
Part of me agrees with this as I did it myself. It was a brave thing to do though!

Maybe pick the most important vinyls and keep them.
Nice ES14 are rare too, I'd get some "under the bed" storage for those, (not easy to sell/ship large heavy speakers).
Apart from the cartridge anything else could be sold on imo.

If the space is really tight, a Unitiqute with some nice bookshelf doesn't require much more space than Muso.

We’ve got three of the buggers in this room, full to the brim and overflowing, another one next door, three upstairs and stacks of books where you’d least expect them. But our older daughter has finally got a place of her own, so some of them will go soon, along with several hundred NuMetal CDs and a wardrobe full of hoodies.

Books are insulation is my last argument before another tranche end up in the charity shop…

Get rid of it all now

£15 a week down here..not heated though but secure..not sure I would want my hifi stored there..

My view is keep everything..better that than some regret which hangs about like a bad smell...my friend has had to move unexpectedly..they initially moved thinking it was for a long time..anyway before they moved my friend gave me a load of stuff to get rid off..I didn't get rid of it..put in the corner of my workshop..and now things have changed they are grateful for the stuff back..so keep it..just in case?

I think it's pointless to sell anything before you know what and how to accommodate what you have in a different, currently unknown environment. There's unlikely to be any financial benefit vis a vis selling now or when you are certain of which items should go. I find it hard to believe, in the grand scheme of having to store stuff in relation to moving, that your kit etc. really takes up much room.

Just my take. but then again, I've never let a house move influence decisions about my hifi except inasmuch as selecting the dwelling with accommodating the hifi as a priority, and I've had 5 houses in 2 counties since '75 (but that's my lot!)

If I'd produced a commercial amp design I would definitely want to hold to examples of them!

Yes, so surely you have to keep the amps and DAC - they're your heirlooms. Then it's just a question of what you love. Do you still have affection for the ES14? If so I'd keep them and see what kind of space you get. If they don't fit in the new house sell them then and get smaller speakers.

I'm a vinyl evangelist myself, but it sounds to me like you aren't that attached to either your deck or record collection. In which case I'd suggest you get rid of it. If I didn't really love the medium, I'd be very happy to go minimalist.

Most of the people I know who sold their vinyl ended up regretting it. In fact I just met a guy today who sold his vinyl because his wife said it took up too much space. He now has an SME turntable and no longer has the wife!
Good trade…

If it were I, I'd keep any vinyl that's good enough to play and sell everything else. You're not in a hurry, so no need to accept lowball offers. It's only stuff.

advertisement

Back