advertisement

Downgrading From ATC 100A's - Power Amp & Speaker Recommendations ?

Have you got the space to tuck away a sub somewhere? How about some ATC SCM 20-2 paired with a Velodyne DD...might be a way of preserving some of the impact/scale that you're going to miss when you trade down from the 100's. Would be within your budget if you buy used.

I'm afraid I am not familiar with the amps you mention. I have tried Krell KAV250 & Luxman L507f integrated's with my 35's. Even with their 100+ wpc rating, neither could drive them properly. They need a good dose of current even more so than watts if you ask me, hence the reason I mentioned the 557.

I am amazed your 100's have not been snapped up at that price. They appear to be in great condition. Shame it would be so damn expensive to get them back here to me in Roscommon.

I did hear a pair of 50's at a show a couple of months ago and was amazed how similar the sound signature was to my 35's, although there was far more scale etc with the 50's. ATC spend a lot of energy to ensure their models do sound similar throughout their range, So if you really do need to downsize I think ATC would be the best way.

My daughter is very good and knows not to touch the Hi-Fi. The issue is my wife is becoming a full time childminder and my listening room is going to be the childminding room. The Hi-Fi is going to have to go into the living room and the 100's would overwhelm the room (and my wife).

I will have to give the 40's a listen as it seems they will be closest in terms of presentation to my current system.

You need gods help to keep them in good shape then. Other than that, buy some standmounted speakers (on high mass stands) which you could put away while the kids are trying to shred your house, then pop them back on the stands when the paths clear and damage control is insitu once more. And make sure you home content insurance covers replacements.... :)

you want the woofer where the tweeter usually is anyway it's only the HiFi dweebs that sit them as low as they do -- because HiFi dweebs are generally a bit dim and prone to believe all sorts of tosh);

Still at it, huh? Three possible explanations why you like yours mounted this high -

Mounting them higher gives you less trouble with room nodes.

Listening off-axis from the tweeter balances the highs in a way you like.

Distortion tends to be highly directional. Listening off-axis gives you less of it.

This Hifi dweeb thinks that listening on the design axis generally gives the flattest frequency response, which is A Good Thing.

Markus, go here. Look at a recommended setup. (This is typical in that every ATC 50/100/150/300 I have ever seen outside of a HiFi dweeb's house is lifted up). Look at the height of the woofer in relation to the floor. This is recommended by ATC's dealers.

http://www.transaudiogroup.com/atc/scm110asl-soffit-mount.shtml

Only domestic users have them as low as they do... so don't try your liftening "off axis" crap on me. In every other application they are about the same height as mine. This is normal.

Do you have that picture in a bigger size? It's hard to make out anything the way it is now.

Seriously, these stands will be used in a studio where people are standing behind a mixing desk. ATC specify "±10° Coherent Vertical".

I think if you click on the small image it can be made bigger. It illustrates my point. Higher up than HiFi nerds have it; no desk.

Its only domestic users that have them so low, everyone else has them much higher. And not necessarily because there is a desk in the way. There are loads of other images of ATCs set much higher without desks in the way.

Tell you what raindogs, you can borrow my Focal1027's and my power amps for your ATC's and whenever you have the space, just ask and you can have them back... ;-)

Bob Polley kindly answered a quick query. For ATC 3-ways, the ±10° Coherent Vertical spec relates to the center of the mid dome.

Markus, go here. Look at a recommended setup. (This is typical in that every ATC 50/100/150/300 I have ever seen outside of a HiFi dweeb's house is lifted up). Look at the height of the woofer in relation to the floor. This is recommended by ATC's dealers.

http://www.transaudiogroup.com/atc/scm110asl-soffit-mount.shtml

Only domestic users have them as low as they do... so don't try your liftening "off axis" crap on me. In every other application they are about the same height as mine. This is normal.
There is a very good reason for mounting woofers as close to the floor as possible, and that is to eliminate cancellation from secondary reflection. If you have an AES subscription, you can find Allison's paper here.

This was the major design of objective of my E-X loudspeakers, and I have to say it works remarkably well where the floor-coupled woofer operates up to 200Hz, before the ear-height mid/tweet takes over. I used to get quite a noticeable dip around 80Hz, but that is no longer the case.

Bob Polley kindly answered a quick query. For ATC 3-ways, the ±10° Coherent Vertical spec relates to the center of the mid dome.

No one questioned that, are you going to elaborate?

Specifically why in those instances where there isn't a mixing desk, why its obviously permissible to place them at the height I have mine at.

In fairness most ATCs are mounted so high up as they are listened to by engineers sitting on fairly tall office chairs working behind a large mixer that usually has some near-fields sitting on the meter bridge. Wouldn't make much sense to have them firing at the wiring loom behind the desk now would it?!

Tony.

PS not illegal to mount them high, low, or even upside down as far as I'm aware.

Yes, mine are slightly toed down as well, I put a couple of wooden wedges at the back (not in that pic, that was before I did the SL upgrade), that pic also has a toe-in which I don't do now. Tiny small changes, I could live with it either way.

Tony that there's a mixing desk in the way really doesn't translate to those sofa-ified setups on ATCs page with 100s and 150s clearly set higher then the domestic stands. If it were such a big deal, they would all be at domestic height when there is nothing in the way.

Tony that there's a mixing desk in the way really doesn't translate to those sofa-ified setups on ATCs page with 100s and 150s clearly set higher then the domestic stands. If it were such a big deal, they would all be at domestic height when there is nothing in the way.

It's not how I'd set things up, but I can't see any issue with it at all given a little tilting to keep the reference axis acceptable. Most directional stuff occurs in the mid and top, so if you are an image freak you tend to set things up with this on eye / ear level - I guess it really depends on whether you want to be in the crowd looking up at the stage, in the balcony looking down (e.g. floor dwellers such as the Klipsch Heresy) or to stare the musos straight in the eye. The latter is my own preference, but each to their own.

Tony.

Backstage eyeing up the buffet table for me.

Back OT. If there is any way you can keep the 100s, I would, unless they are super value price and I can have them for my project studio. I have a flatpack 100 cabinet here and most of the old pre SL drivers and old tweets but precious little time to assemble the thing.

40's are not that difficult to drive,iv'e had great results with a 50w Naim amp at sensible levels,they do benefit from more power but providing you are sensible with the gain,any good quality integrated/affordable pre-power will do.

No one questioned that, are you going to elaborate?

Specifically why in those instances where there isn't a mixing desk, why its obviously permissible to place them at the height I have mine at.

What you do in the privacy of your home is none of my business. However, looking at the vertical response graph in this German review shows there are significant deviations from flat FR when you get even 10 degrees off-axis. the review speculates there might be significant overlap between woofer and tweeter.

I have my speakers "optimised" for my preferred listening position in terms of height, distance between, and distance from. In reality, the sytem sounds great from wherever you listen...

advertisement

Back