advertisement

Doorbell Cameras

I'm just curious if anyone here has ever had anything resembling an attempted break-in through the front door. I haven't at any time in my life, including when living in dodgy neighborhoods in Chicago. And even if I did, I have contents insurance and no great emotional attachment to my stuff.

From what I see happening to/from people I know in the US, Ring and the like make people super paranoid, like any person crossing in front of their house is a suspect. Before making a purchase, look up the crime rates in your neighborhood and decide if it's really necessary.

And my favorite conspiracy theory that I invented is that Amazon has no incentive to curb package theft because it drives the sales of Ring cameras and doorbells.

Sorry for thread-crapping.

Nothing to do with security - I installed a Ring Doorbell because a) I had not got a door bell - just a ruddy great Doctors Knocker (look it up, it's a classic thing for a Georgian house like mine) and b) I wanted to be able to direct deliveries to the right place if we were 'out'. The camera security thing is one of curiosity to see who rocks up to my entrance - there are some folk curious to know what is at the end of my alley. I got bored of watching them after a while.

My dad, who's in his mid 70s, now has motion alerts cropping up on his phone from his doorbell sensor. To me, this is a recipe for being crippled by anxiety around security; he also has security locks on all his external doors, CCTV, a burglar alarm, and a dash-cam in his car. I pray to God that I never allow myself to take this path.

Nothing to do with security - I installed a Ring Doorbell because a) I had not got a door bell - just a ruddy great Doctors Knocker (look it up, it's a classic thing for a Georgian house like mine) and b) I wanted to be able to direct deliveries to the right place if we were 'out'. The camera security thing is one of curiosity to see who rocks up to my entrance - there are some folk curious to know what is at the end of my alley. I got bored of watching them after a while.
Likewise, had a solid flood door fitted so no spyhole, if I’m laid up and can’t get to the door it’s handy for talking to visitors and also directing the delivery guys.

OK maybe it's just my American brethren who are more paranoid. Seriously, people in nice houses in nice suburbs with no crime and they deck out the walls with security cameras.

advertisement

Back