advertisement

Don't Try to Lose Weight by Exercising

You see a few of the health and fitness advocates on social media describe a simple rule of thumb :
- if you want to eat healthy, stick to the outer perimeter of the supermarket, and not the inner aisles

It seemed a bit too simplistic, but when I think about it all the fruit and veg and protein produce is arranged around the perimeter.

You see a few of the health and fitness advocates on social media describe a simple rule of thumb :
- if you want to eat healthy, stick to the outer perimeter of the supermarket, and not the inner aisles

It seemed a bit too simplistic, but when I think about it all the fruit and veg and protein produce is arranged around the perimeter.

And the doughnut kiosk, excellent news!

I tried it, but ended up eating socks and magazines for a week.

Muscle is heavier than fat.
I suspect you really mean that 7,700 calories worth of body fat, about 1 kg, compares with the same number of calories in a much larger weight of muscle. You can indeed become much fitter with exercise and lose no weight. Some athletes can be characterized by the over-generalized BMI measure as overweight or worse while still being healthy and very fit.

Carbs get a bad press these days, particularly processed carbs, but remember that fats are twice as calorific for the same mass.To get fat intake down to a balanced 30% of calories means only 15% by mass. Alcohol (as in ethanol) is calorific too ;) People are quite poor at estimating their calorie intake I think.

You will lose weight if you take in fewer calories than you burn, but what you eat and when is a factor too, and can determine how much of what you burn off is fat, and how much is muscle.

Intermittent fasting, assuming any food consumed is of a sensible calorific value, and not too high in carbs lowers insulin levels which allows the body to access its fat stores for energy. If insulin levels are too high fat will not be burned. It also causes the body to create more human growth hormone, which helps muscle growth and, muscle preservation.

So what and when you eat is a factor, not just the calorific amount in relation to expenditure.

I have had my fair share of weight battles over the years and seem to be in a mid point currently. I find my body needs to get used to weight loss, I need to reduce my intake reasonably significantly for a few weeks before I get consistent reductions (except for the initial losses in week one when I am enthusiastic and over reduce).

I definitely learned to separate losing weight and exercise and realised they are tasks with different targets. For me running or cycling has been a big part of my life certainly for the past 5/6 years and it is rare I do not do this three times a week. My weight still fluctuates and it is down to how much I eat of course but my appetite does vary lots and not necessarily related to exercise. It is this I am curious about. My brother is pretty skinny (I am not skinny) and even when we lived together we were different with exactly the same diet, we did not have snacking at home then, or at least not independent snacking.

Maybe I am greedy, I do love food and drink and since being in charge of my own food intake my weight did increase so I don't deny it might be greed but something does drive that, maybe microbes or gut bacteria, genetic or just poor self control. No clue but make no mistake, for much of the population we do find it harder that others to co0ntrol our intake. I chatted to my brother and he never thinks about it.... ever. Just eats what and when he likes and he is a proper foodie as well and certainly not teetotal either. Irritating as F!

Last time I checked, nearly half of Coca Cola's UK sales (fizzy drinks) were still of the Red (full fat) variety.
We can hope that the consumer is getting better educated, but categories like "food 2 go" are still on the increase in supermarkets, which is a direct response to the growth in takeaway business.
It's hard to argue that health mono foods are a priority for the industry.

My brother is pretty skinny (I am not skinny) and even when we lived together we were different with exactly the same diet, we did not have snacking at home then, or at least not independent snacking.

More than somewhat contrary to the theme here, but several years ago there was a series of TV programmes looking at lots of aspects of diet and body-weight.
One looked at skinny people who eat heartily. Th one fellah they picked was in the chamber to measure BMR, which was normal (quelle surprise), but they then showed him go into a pb, order a drink, go outside, sit down and start reading a newspaper. He was "hyper-active", his whole body was in constant, though very slight, motion - twitches, comfort movements, tapping fingers, and much besides.

Last time I checked, nearly half of Coca Cola's UK sales (fizzy drinks) were still of the Red (full fat) variety.
We can hope that the consumer is getting better educated, but categories like "food 2 go" are still on the increase in supermarkets, which is a direct response to the growth in takeaway business.
It's hard to argue that health mono foods are a priority for the industry.

People choose to eat what they eat. Suppliers react to demand. Food is ludicrously cheap - last time I looked, the money spent on food in the UK was around half the proportion of the avergae wage compared to what it was 40-50 years ago, in real terms.

People choose to eat what they eat. Suppliers react to demand. Food is ludicrously cheap - last time I looked, the money spent on food in the UK was around half the proportion of the avergae wage compared to what it was 40-50 years ago, in real terms.
Suppliers also create demand.
A certain well known crisp producer introduced a bag designed to sit between 2 people on a couch, allowing them to dip into the large bag as they watched their preferred telly.
This product did not take away from the other lines in the brand. It was a marketing success.

The food industry is much more sophisticated compared to how it was 40/50 years ago.

and the booze and the bakery and the butchers.

The food industry is much more sophisticated compared to how it was 40/50 years ago.

That does not detract from the fact that people are now bigger gluttons and can afford to be.
My parents NEVER bought a takeaway, and I almost never do, but anyone, almost, can get food delivered to their door within a few 10's minutes, pretty much 24-7-365.

When I was a kid, people ate 3 meals a day, possibly a SMALL snack - a couple of bisuits - mid morning, and that was pretty much it. That was totally normal.

About 2 years ago I put myself on a vague version of the 5 + 2 regime, but cut right down on carbs and wine. I immediately lost half a stone, and in a month or so had gone from 14st 7lb to around 13st 5lb. In the ensuing weeks I touched 13st. I wasn't particulary disciplined or obsessed, but I was in control, it felt good, and I felt less tired and much sharper. I came off the 'regime' after a few weeks, and it held at around 13/7 until last Christmas, when I quite suddenly put some weight back on my tum again. I'm not really sure why, as I eat well, but not much, and am steady on the vino.

My old mate had to eat around 4000 calories a day to keep himself at a steady 35 odd stone. He didn't move much.

He doesn't move at all now, the silly sod simply couldn't get a grip on it. He picked up C19 early, and his old heart said 'enough'.

advertisement

Back