advertisement

Don't do DACS, kids

Columbo

pfm Member
Audio performance is defined in part by measurements such as frequency response, THD (Total Harmonic Distortion), and signal to noise ratio. Even though many music lovers know that there is a big difference between pure analog audio and PCM digital audio, no one until now has been able to measure why, in spite of all the advanced audio measuring equipment available.

DH C Wave patent shows why. It’s not an audio problem. It’s the difference between the way the human brain responds to the continuous waveform of pure analog vs the non-continuous waveform of PCM digital audio. Tests with advanced computer-based health diagnostic equipment consistently and repeatably detect negative effects of PCM processed audio on human physiology.

These tests show that C Wave not only eliminates these negative effects, but makes listening to PCM processed recordings of music beneficial for human health. What do the measurements mean? The measurements show a virtually instantaneous stress response in the brain when listening to PCM digital audio. What’s the problem with a stress response? Stress stops emotion and lowers the immune system, both of which are serious problems.

It's true, I listened to 2 hours of digital music last night and now I have "serious problems" 😂

Some top drawer marketing, that

[DH C Wave patent shows why. It’s not an audio problem. It’s the difference between the way the human brain responds to the continuous waveform of pure analog vs the non-continuous waveform of PCM digital audio. Tests with advanced computer-based health diagnostic equipment consistently and repeatably detect negative effects of PCM processed audio on human physiology.

I've read reports of people finding it difficult to pee after listening to PCM. Apparently it was cured by a good dose of vinyl (and a whip).

Not mentioned but presumably PWM Class D has serious health implications too 🙂Could this be April foolery?

It's true, I listened to 2 hours of digital music last night and now I have "serious problems" 😂

Some top drawer marketing, that
In spite of today's date, the patent in question seems to be real and can be read here: https://patents.justia.com/patent/11925433. (EDIT: I see an updated version is here: https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/52/7e/9f/2e2b443e0a1086/US20220015633A1.pdf - but similar enough). From my own dealing with patents, reading claim 1 and perhaps a few more is the easiest way to understand the earlier "Summary of the Invention" section:

"Claims
1. A method of processing audio signals comprising:
receiving an analog audio signal as input from at least one source of audio signals;

performing a digital to analog conversion by converting the analog audio signal to a digital format;

performing sampling on the analog audio signal;

processing the digital converted audio signal using a digital system processor, having a computer processor and memory or circuitry, by applying an equalization, a reverberation and a volume setting that is measured to produce an audio output signal that has a more beneficial health response on at least one human physiological functions than an unprocessed PCM digital signal or a base measurement without any audio signal,

measuring the physiological functions of at least one listener using one or more bio-sensors attached to the at least one listener, the sensors configured to measure the at least one improved physiological function of the listener,

wherein the measuring of the physiological functions of the at least one listener using the attached bio-sensors includes measuring the bio-signal responses related to a central nervous system, a liver and a kidney functions of the listener."

Claim 2 adds a little detail of the bio-signal measurement to claim 1, in its final paragraph.

So it seems to be about introducing processing into the end-to-end audio chain that causes some form of optimization, with the objective of obtaining some form of health benefit, as measured by some form of bio-signal response in somebody who probably isn't the person buying and listening to the kit that is being sold.

Is it really that?

So this explains why I have been a difficult belligerent bastard since giving up vinyl completely three years ago.

Before that, with a mix of CD's and vinyl I was only a mildly belligerent bastard.

I always wondered why... but I will stick with the DAC I have.

Being a difficult belligerent bastard is kinda fun...people shun me, children run away when they see me, cats (but not dogs for some reason) scamper away... even the wife avoids me.

There is such a profound peace in my solitude that I will not be giving up my PCM encoded files.

Peter

Nice one for April 1 even though it appears to be a longer-term deception.

Fascinating piece, esp the follow up comments.

So his new Maria amp is essentially some bog standard class-d amps, not even the newer ones, with an off the shelf chip and a dash of DSP that adds some magic reverb, or something, all wrapped up in a cheapo plastic box and without even a remote and all yours for £13k?

Classic old school marketing:
- Manufacturer a pain problem, create an itch "OMG digital will never sound like analogue but worse it's making me all stressed and unhealthy, OMG, OMG"
- Present a seemingly clever solution and charge through the nose for it

Can anyone remember the name of the guy who put out some nonsense around the time CD came out about digital audio making people ill ? I seem to remember there's a whole chapter on the debacle in "Perfecting Sound Forever".

Incidentally it would be great to get a record of the personal data of people who buy this product -I imagine it would be gold-dust for alternative investment products.

Can anyone remember the name of the guy who put out some nonsense around the time CD came out about digital audio making people ill ? I seem to remember there's a whole chapter on the debacle in "Perfecting Sound Forever".
Ah I note from archimago's page that this does indeed seem to loop back to Dr John Diamond https://drjohndiamond.com/what-interests-you/human-stress-provoked-by-digitized-recordings/
Curators of idiocy will be disappointed to note that this is not a genuinely new form.

I am struggling with the concept:
"We "whoosh" away the digital steps with the C-Wave technology and then we put the digital steps back in by using a PWM amp. Then we take the steps out again with an LC filter on the amp output". 🙃

I wonder if Levinson has ever heard an Audio Note DAC or its equivalent?

Listening to mine is anything but stressful, so much so that I sometimes wonder whether vinyl is worth all the hassle.

advertisement

Back