advertisement

Dogs, kids, lycra in public

I assume the OP must be referring to puppies wearing lycra in public. Is this a thing in the UK ? I am so out of touch.

Back to topic. I was under the impression that animals were prohibited from establishments that serve food? Dogs are known carriers of parasites which can effect young children. Animals are not hygienic and can carry flees, tics etc. I also remember seeing notices in cafes banning dogs from entering unless the owners were blind. Now all that seems to have been lifted. Its a regular occurrence in our local cafes that dogs go for other dogs and the noise is loud and piecing and IMO has no place in a cafe where people come to get a coffee and relax...

A lot of places accept dogs now I don't mind provided they are well behaved. However I have seen people with small dogs on their laps with the dogs head at table level. What is it with people and lapdogs that they have to carry them all the time?

Dogs - if well behaved, absolutely. A badly behaved dog says more about the owner and suggest neither be allowed in public.

Kids - again, if well behaved, absolutely. Badly behaved children should not be allowed in public, along with their owners.

Lycra - in the vast majority of cases, hell no. In a small minority of cases, absolutely.

I get the feeling those who complain about children in public are only prepared to tolerate quiet reading of approved literature or sleeping bolt upright in a seat. Anything else - chatting, expressing happiness or curiosity, holding a fork in the wrong hand, asking why that man is so angry, triggers loud performative tutting and outraged letters to the Telegraph. I blame private schools.

Back to topic. I was under the impression that animals were prohibited from establishments that serve food? Dogs are known carriers of parasites which can effect young children. Animals are not hygienic and can carry flees, tics etc. I also remember seeing notices in cafes banning dogs from entering unless the owners were blind. Now all that seems to have been lifted. Its a regular occurrence in our local cafes that dogs go for other dogs and the noise is loud and piecing and IMO has no place in a cafe where people come to get a coffee and relax...

That's what I thought too, I rarely eat out nowadays and I don't go out for coffee so maybe 'the rules' have changed, it definitely used to be the case that most shops, cafes or even shopping centres didn't allow dogs except for guide dogs.
I wouldn't really want to be eating in a restaurant that allowed dogs as I don't like the smell of dog.

Last edited:
Reactions: GT
That's what I thought too, I rarely eat out nowadays and I don't go out for coffee so maybe 'the rules' have changed, it definitely used to be the case that most shops, cafes or even shopping centres didn't allow dogs except for guide dogs.
I wouldn't really want to be eating in a restaurant that allowed dogs as I don't like the way they smell.

They smell the same as you, with their nose.

personally i dont care about dogs in restaurants. So long as there are no rats running around - i experienced a place in HKG where rats were using the ceiling hung ducting as a rat run..... bit disconcerting - Especially when i found one in the stir fry.....

In a certain country i did see dog on the menu once - i think that is a different question......

Sporting attire is fine by me - that is all i wear*

*Not quite true - i did slip on a pair of jeans for a 2* restaurant in Cambridge the other week.

We can just choose to not go into cafes where lycra clad dogs and loud kids go. It’s easy. It’s not as if a cafe is essential for sustaining life.

Loud adults… anywhere… I leave.

advertisement

Back