advertisement

Does your mains block need 'isolating'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

YNWOAN

100% Analogue
I've just been emailed the latest notification of new content from Roy Gregory's 'The AudioBeat'. The article in question is a review of the Harmonic Resolution Systems equipment support.

One section in particular caught my attention:

If you think using grounding elements under equipment produces impressive results, wait until you try them under AC-distribution blocks and power supplies.

So, is it really accepted these days that putting ones mains block on pointy feet (or similar) makes a difference? Do any pfm contributors take such care - do they find it worthwhile?

Trestle-EX1.jpg

http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/Maple-Cable-Trestle/productinfo/TREST-CL/

(I'm sorry for a tiny bit of trolling, I couldn't help it.)

If you have money to spare go to Audioworks in Cheadle they will probably sell you isolators to isolate your isolators!

Yes, I am aware that AudioWorks actually make an acrylic stand to put ones mains block on*. It's still not a very widely accepted thing to do though - or is it?

* They also do a mains extension block with pointy feet.

Yes, I am aware that AudioWorks actually make an acrylic stand to put ones mains block on. It's still not a very widely accepted thing to do though - or is it?

Depends how bad your OCD is. Pretty easy to sell this stuff to a neurotic bunch like audiophiles.

Well, I must admit that the whole thing seems designed to appeal to the 'completist'. Nevertheless, I wonder if anybody does think it makes a difference and, if so, by what mechanism?

Deflectors I think you mean rather than defectors :). PEEK is the new wonder material as far as MusicWorks are concerned and is good for everything from cone feet to screws (and mains socket covers....). If you look at the Mapleshade link (post # 6) they claim that the mains should not run near any plastic or unearthed metal. In fact they go further to suggest that not only wood is the ideal but preferably it should be maple.... Yet other manufacturers claim benefits from having metal cases for their mains distribution blocks - others acrylic, then some claim wood is the only proper material - they can't all be right?

If you have dirty mains then get a conditioner but no need to spend a fortune on one in a nice box that has won a placebo award!

Mains|cable|block-supportfoo is the Powder of Sympathy fallacy, writ large.

Wish I had the gall to exploit this market... but I don't.

However I do offer remote-sensing, cable-reiki sessions though. Your system will sound more relaxed afterwards, guaranteed. PM for details (please have your credit-card details ready)

I dunno, part of me is dismissive and part of me is intrigued. I'm semi objective but ultimately subjective. Not that long ago (largely through necessity) I rebuilt my mains distribution as a 6 way hydra headed lead - the crux of this was resin potted into a custom made birch ply and acrylic sandwich. The end result 'sounded' just fine but didn't sound like a redefinition of the mains 'experience'....,

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back