advertisement

Does vinyl drive you nuts?

madscientist

pfm Member
Having been a vinyl fan for many many years i am starting to wonder if i have overcooked my system! There was a point not so long ago when i longed to sit and listen to my Lyra Dorian/NAS TT through a Rothwell SUT. Since then i have replaced the cart with a new Lyra Delos and now use a Tom Evans Anniversary MK2 Groove. The thing is..sometimes the music sings along and sounds great (particularly rock music) and other times it can sound thin and weedy (more acoustic based material), i am tempted to put this down to age but maybe it is more that i do not like too much detail to the point where you lose the feel of the song. Now i seem to spend a lot of time fretting about whether the VTA/SRA/Azimuth etc are correct or if the phonostage is good enough,I am alone in this? I am almost tempted to look into streaming as it seems a lot less hassle. Anyone had similar moments of doubt?

have you tried the Delos with the SUT, or the Tom Evans with the Dorian ?
or have you changed cart and phonostage at the same time ?
just to try and see if you can blame it on the cart or on the phonostage....

FWIW, I run my Delos through a Klyne 6PE: while sure being detailed, this couple never gets to that point where "you lose the feel of the song", not to my ears, at least.
but I don't know Dorian, Tom Evans and so on....

With too many changes at once it is difficult to pinpoint to a specific cause that causes imbalance.

For me streaming & vinyl go hand in hand - I couldn't live with just one source. Some records are not digitally available and with streaming services like Qobuz I discover a whole new range of music that otherwise would have remained unknown.

I've got a fantastic system that many would regard as being poor. It's a lot better than so called hi end from a few years ago. I don't worry about upgrading vinyl I just buy the odd record and enjoy them.

With too many changes at once it is difficult to pinpoint to a specific cause that causes imbalance.

For me streaming & vinyl go hand in hand - I couldn't live with just one source. Some records are not digitally available and with streaming services like Qobuz I discover a whole new range of music that otherwise would have remained unknown.

It has to be one piece at a time to eliminate the problem.

Although yet to commence streaming after hearing so many singles/tracks that appeal, the list of wants is long and expensive. My life experience tells me that to buy a whole album to hear one track can often be futile.

Would still love a seperate section on PFM just for old/idiot beginners.

Bloss

have you tried the Delos with the SUT, or the Tom Evans with the Dorian ?
or have you changed cart and phonostage at the same time ?
just to try and see if you can blame it on the cart or on the phonostage....

unfortunately i have sold the SUT and Dorian Doh!! I may try the Delos direct into the MC stage in my Exposure XIV pre-amp

I've hit the same point with digital too.
Take a step back, and go for a system that plays all records (or CDs or FLACs) equally well. It's about enjoying music. All music. Not just that one special sounding record.

I use a Lyra Delos with an Albarry head amp and it sings beautifully, however, it does expose the quality of some recordings, thankfully most are fine, but I do have one or two that sounded ok with a lesser cartridge, but are lacking in involvement now. maybe you are hearing the same quality issues.

cheers Al

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the obvious solution of having several turntables side-by-side each tuned for a different type of music.

When all else fails, step back, and take a break from it all. There are times where you may feel like listening, or think you are wanting to, but for whatever reason the mind etc. really isn't. Might be worth a shot anyway.

Drive me mad? No more. Sadens me sometimes.

Last time the TT went on was two weeks ago to burn an album for listening in my now prefered method - stream from local HD.

It reminded me how much extra noise the medium generates. Surface, bad pressings, scratches etc.

I tried the album burn but the none musical row just ruined it. Specifically one side of the black plastic just sounded like the mold was damaged across its entire surface. I eventually tracked down a S/H CD in good condition (deleted issue) and bought it.

If it is on Spotify then thats what I will listen to from now on.

Now i seem to spend a lot of time fretting about whether the VTA/SRA/Azimuth etc are correct or if the phonostage is good enough,I am alone in this? I am almost tempted to look into streaming as it seems a lot less hassle. Anyone had similar moments of doubt?

Perhaps oddly, no, I don't feel tempted to fiddle with tracking weight, VTA etc.

it's OT (and I apologise for that), but it's curious: I'm not going (not yet) into streaming because it seems too much hassle to me !!
I'm really really old ! :(

Never too old to learn, my mum (77) is learning to work the iPad now and never even touched a computer up to a couple of months ago.

:)

Provided you have internet access, get something like a Linn streamer or equivalent plus a Tidal/Qobuz subscription and you´re set to go.

Would still love a seperate section on PFM just for old/idiot beginners.
Bloss

+1
(I'm the old idiot, it's understood)
but I must say I used to participate to an italian forum where a separate section was started, but it sounded Turkish to me from the very first post.

@madscientist: you say the phonostage is optimised for Delos; just to compare experiences: how does it translate in terms of load and gain ?

Paul,
What has happened ? it was only a week or so ago that you were raving on about how brilliant everything sounded. Could it be that instead of just enjoying what you have achieved with your system you are looking for faults that may not be there. as you know Rasher found that including the Tom Evans into his system changed the presentation in a way that he didn't like to such a extent that he removed it. While I still think the my Micro groove has improved what I hear, even Rasher thought there was a marked improvement, and at the time whilst we were all together even the most critical of our little group, Dave also thought that there was a great improvement it was a pity you couldn't make it that night. Now I realise that this may seem to be stupid to you, but the common denominator in this is out of the three of us that have tried Tom's stuff both you and Rasher are musicians whilst the only instrument that I play is a LP12, could it be that the pair of you are continually looking to hear something in the timing and presentation that may in reality not be there, whilst I in my ignorance about these things just enjoy what I hear.
oldie

advertisement

Back