advertisement

Does Naxos have an equivalent in the world of audio equipment producers?

Brian S

pfm Member
It strikes me how many 4 and 5 star ratings are given to recordings from Naxos. This, at least, in the area of classical repertoire.

I would love to hear of other companies producing 1st class audio products for half the price of established manufacturers.

Are there any? Who are they? Can we build up a catalogue of such?

I suspect that there are a lot of products that are good VFM in mechanical terms. Rega for example produce a whole range of kit that looks great value on paper.
But the caveat will surely be how one determines the quality of the sound reproduced. There are, after all, plenty who think nothing of spending £1000 on an interconnect cable.
I have always described HiFi costings as a simple graph, rising steeply to a 'shoulder' and then rapidly levelling off. Anything beyond the shoulder is poor vfm and out. Low down the curve, at it's start, sound is compromised. The kit you seek lives ON the shoulder I think, and the cost of the shoulder depends on what kit the graph describes. For example, speaker cable per meter runs from £1 to £1000. But the shoulder is around £10-20 range....it's a very low curve.
Loudspeakers however may start at say £150 and rise to £100,000 but I'd put the shoulder between £2000 and 5000...that makes a slightly different looking chart.

If I were to name some shoulder dwellers, I'd name Rega, Dynavector, Sennheiser, Yamaha, ATC, Project, Onyko and Denon.

I would rather say Yamaha. Good quality at very good price, but nothing to be die for, in terms of artistic performance.

If you are looking for amplifiers then Temple Audio and Amptastic make really good and inexpensive ones. For a preamp then Tisbury makes a passive preamp, that goes very well with either of the two amps. Mark Grant for interconnects.

advertisement

Back