advertisement

Does connecting a streamer to Ethernet make much difference compared to wifi?

Just wanted to redress the balance with how I assessed the wave cables against the ‘I don’t believe it therefore it cannot be” brigade.

Ironically, I haven’t sat down and listened to music and enjoyed the glorious visceral sound of musical instruments for months now. Due to a sudden hearing problem in what was my best ear I can now only cope with music at a low volume and whilst doing something else to distract me from how horrible it ‘sounds’. Picking up some hearing aids in a couple of weeks which I hope will make sound more tolerable. It has demonstrated to me that many of the discussions on these forums aren’t so much about the sound quality of equipment so much as the quality of our individual hearing. It takes an overnight change in hearing to realise that.

I’m not over confident so there is likely to be a bit of classifieds action coming up!
Really sorry to hear this. Fingers crossed for some hearing aid magic; I’m sure you’ll report back.

Great post but (ref last paragraph) can you expand on your extrapolation from logical to most effective? I presume you’ve directly compared these in the same position in your network. Before I had a dog in the race I tried several such filters and they all performed woefully compared with a generic-but-decently-designed switch; hence my first product being a (powered) switch rather than a (presumably passive) filter.

My view is that if the goal is to filter then a purposely designed filter will be more effective at the task of filtering than a switch. There may be advantages to using a switch other than filtering that I ignore.

I tried the wave cables listening to one of my favourite Christina Pluhar tracks where there is some delicate cymbal brush work in the background. on putting the wave cables in I was surprised to discover that there was much more to the subtlety of the playing than I had previously noticed. ”ah“, I thought, I hadn’t noticed it before because I wasn’t concentrating on it. So, we took the wave cables out and that subtlety in the brush work on the cymbals all but disappeared into what was still a nice sound of cymbals. Put the wave cables back and what the percussionist was doing was clear again.

Interesting, this improved 'clarity' in the cymbals somewhat mirrors my experience with the Intona USB Isolator where before there was a sort of 'haze'.

Sorry to hear about your hearing problem, hope it can be reversed.

Having to? Or choosing to? I may be taking you too literally and your emotions are obviously your business but I wouldn’t actually worry too much about rich audiophiles (though I’m sure they’d find your concern rather touching)! :)

As explained in a post above, this is absolutely not out of human hearing. :rolleyes:
Is it true that you sell audiophile network switches?

Interesting, this improved 'clarity' in the cymbals somewhat mirrors my experience with the Intona USB Isolator where before there was a sort of 'haze'.

Sorry to hear about your hearing problem, hope it can be reversed.
Thanks Ric, appreciated. Yes, haze would be a good way of describing it and just as a hazy atmosphere diminishes the detail we can perceive in view so noise (if that is the cause) diminishes the detail in much the same way in reproduction of music.

Really sorry to hear this. Fingers crossed for some hearing aid magic; I’m sure you’ll report back.
Thanks Nigel. like any diminished ability it is a case of learning to live with it and adjust, made more difficult when something happens within 24 hours rather than gradually over years.

This thread is getting both boring, and very very silly.

You either believe the ethernet switch bollocks, or you don’t. Going on about it ad infinitum achieves sweet FA.

Let it go.
Most threads get off track but your post just bumped it up to the top of the page. Is that what ‘letting it go” means 😀.

(2) completely and independently bypasses the data path. It doesn't require any data to be transmitted and unless excessive, doesn't affect data transfer itself. But it tends to affect clocks, D/A conversion part and other analog parts of the DAC - this is where the crossing from digital to analog happens and this is where the electronics are sensitive to noises at levels down to -140 dB or so.

There's no one in PFM capable of matching his experience or knowledge on the subject or of challenging his claims, but feel free to stick to your 'bits is bits' beliefs though...

I do agree with @adamdea that if the goal is to filter EMI and RFI then the logical (most effective) approach is to use an Ethernet filter (e.g. DX Engineering ISO-PLUS), not a network switch.
On the second point, phew.
On the first, who could argue with Jussi’s statement- it doesn’t really mean anything without specifics. John Swenson used to say similar things, and may still for all I know.
Of course the unspecified RF with the unspecified effect might be transmitted through the mains or the air.
So what?

On the second point, phew.
On the first, who could argue with Jussi’s statement- it doesn’t really mean anything without specifics. John Swenson used to say similar things, and may still for all I know.
Of course the unspecified RF with the unspecified effect might be transmitted through the mains or the air.
So what?
🥱

Is it true that you sell audiophile network switches?
Absolutely. The clue is in my club badge...

I like to think I'm rather good at not pushing my own products, I just feel I have to fight the corner for any decent switch when those with no experience of the difference and/or no understanding of how they make that difference dismiss the very possibility.

This thread is getting both boring, and very very silly.

You either believe the ethernet switch bollocks understand the principles or have experienced the sonic impact of an ethernet switch, or you don’t. Going on Continuing to contribute cynically about it ad infinitum achieves sweet FA.

Let it go.
Corrected that for you.

Thanks Nigel. like any diminished ability it is a case of learning to live with it and adjust, made more difficult when something happens within 24 hours rather than gradually over years.
Well I can hardly "like" such a post. That must be horrendous. Supportive virtual hand on shoulder coming right at you.

I just feel I have to fight the corner for any decent switch when those with no experience of the difference and/or no understanding of how they make that difference dismiss the very possibility.

I have tried your switch theory with a couple of switches and heard no improvement or difference/change to the sound.

At no point have you EVER answered any of the technical questions or provided any evidence to show that your switches reduce or eradicate noise.

Even if the "sound improvement" cannot be measured any change in the level or amount of noise entering a switch can be measured and compared to that leaving the switch.

Why do you refuse to provide measurements for your switches?

advertisement

Back