advertisement

Does connecting a streamer to Ethernet make much difference compared to wifi?

Just on this I sort of disagree with you there. I almost exclusively play locally stored files and yet i notice a significant improvement when playing these if I use a good switch connected to my streamer playing these files. I attribute this to the noise in the local network which gets into the streamer and hence the dac even though I am not streaming the music from Qobuz or the like. Don’t forget that most playback software communicates between the streamer and the controlling device almost continuously throughout the playing of the locally stored file.
I was sloppy. What I meant was that if @Jubal thought the only sonic improvement related to playback of local files (I interpreted his post this way, as he seemed to imply without local files a switch was irrelevant) then he was misunderstnaidng something. Re your last point, I have not forgotten it, it just didn't seem relevant to the post I was replying to.

It’s amazing I can get to 14 pages of the thread and still not be clear on why and wherefore. Surely locally stored files are streamed from a NAS or other storage? That setup was what was under discussion I thought. It’s what I have waiting to be populated anyway.
We can do a call if you like. I may have misunderstood your post, apologies if so, but I thought you wre implying that a switch might make a difference only if you had locally stored files to play. A correctly installed switch will improve the sound quality of anything reaching the streamer, whether locally stored or internet streamed.

This kind of bollocks largely destroyed my enthusiasm for this hobby. You have to bear in mind that when an ordinary person seeks advice from an expert they are inclined to trust what they say. Thus someone might go into a hifi shop (or onto an internet forum I guess) and ask how they can improve their audio experience. If they walk out with a fancy ethernet cable that will "sound" identical to any in-spec ethernet cable they have been scammed. The question then becomes: who can you trust? Because most of us who are not audio engineers or scientists are vulnerable. And once you have lost your trust, even those who give good advice suffer.

PS "sound" in quotes because an ethernet cable makes no difference to the sound, it does not have a sound, it merely carries a network connection.
I share your frustration but feel compelled to disagree with your last sentence - sorry!

An ethernet cable carries a digital signal but it can also (a) pick up RFI from the local environment and (b) paradoxically carry noise along the shield if the grounding of that shield is at both ends. So ethernet cables may sound different but it's nothing to do with the data they're transporting and therefore nothing to do with jitter and other nonsense which some manufacturers would have you believe.

I ship my kit with stock Cat6 0.5m and 1m cables as I'd recommend people use these over any exotic cable unless they clearly understand whether the shield (and most pricey audio ethernet cables are shielded) is grounded at one or both plugs. If you're trying to kill noise using a switch, either
(a) use a shielded cable where you know the shield is grounded only at one end, and install this grounded end at the switch and the floating end at the streamer, or
(b) use an unshielded cable.

We can do a call if you like. I may have misunderstood your post, apologies if so, but I thought you wre implying that a switch might make a difference only if you had locally stored files to play. A correctly installed switch will improve the sound quality of anything reaching the streamer, whether locally stored or internet streamed.
The WiiM mini doesn’t have an Ethernet port to facilitate that so I was envisioning my yet to be ripped collection on a new NAS/Streamer/DAC combo. Was it worth the cabling hassle in my case alongside the cost. I can stream wirelessly from the NAS now. Guilty of looking at this solely from my perspective. Also why any switch to test is futile right now.

The WiiM mini doesn’t have an Ethernet port to facilitate that so I was envisioning my yet to be ripped collection on a new NAS/Streamer/DAC combo. Was it worth the cabling hassle in my case alongside the cost. I can stream wirelessly from the NAS now. Guilty of looking at this solely from my perspective. Also why any switch to test is futile right now.

You have nothing to worry about then, apparently all these issues are with UHF noise.

WiFi (access points) have builtin bandpass filters that will block the UHF frequencies from reaching your device.

This kind of bollocks largely destroyed my enthusiasm for this hobby.

I put some advice to the topic for the ones that are ready to listen. However, I’m not insisting in any way, especially if you’re happy with the free digital cable in the system. But the truth is not yours.

Ah sorry, I thought you had the Wiim amp with built in streamer and an Ethernet port.

Hearing loss tends to be in the upper frequency as we age, most music is located in the midband. I really think we exaggerate small differences to justify expenditure.

I’d be interested if these noise differences can be measured, probably not?
Just to be clear, the noise that is being discussed is out of audioband noise in the digital cable going to the DAC, whether this noise originates in the network, or streamer or elsewhere. And yes this can be measured with the right instruments. The spectrum analyser I have is at the low end of the sort of kit required and to get more meaningful measurements the cost of the kit unfortunately quickly escalates.

A more important question is perhaps whether the resulting modulation distortion can be measured on the analogue output from the DAC. Again this can be measured but and I am sorry to mention him again, Rob Watts says that the human ear is very susceptible to hearing even small levels of this distortion and measuring these low levels of distortion is challenging (but not impossible) even with the sort of measurement devices he has as his disposal.

Yes and it has been done.

One of the test methods we use is called POLQA and measure/test up to Super Wideband (14 Khz) so is comparable to the frequency range most of us can hear for music.

The sample file is a PCM 16/28 looping frequency sweep but I also created my own in audacity using Blondie's "hanging on the telephone" :D

The tests include taking the sample file converting it from analogue to digital sending it over a WAN and converting it back to analogue at the far end and then capturing that as a file. The software then compares the source file to the captured file and determines how much the original has been degraded.

That again is a similar method to how music is streamed over the internet to your home and converted to analogue via your DAC.
Whilst that is interesting and valuable in its own right for the work you do, as far as I can see none of that has any relevance to the issues being discussed in this thread in that it does not appear to measure the modulation distortion being discussed arising from out of audioband noise. So as an answer to @Woodface question I am not sure it is relevant.

Rob watts is trying to sell audio equipment though!
Every need has got an ego to feed.
For sure! But if that means that he and other designers are omitted from the list of people who know what they are talking about one is reduced to relying on internet forums and look where that gets us! 😜

I do agree though that one has to sometimes take things with a pinch of salt. I adopt that approach with some of what he says.

This is a quote from a Rob Watts interview with What HiFi, "Digital domain measurements are incredible tools to discover things that are audible. Many times I have heard differences that would never be analogue-measurable, but are measurable using simulation or captured digital data. As mentioned earlier, ultra-small things can have a profound impact on performance, so one can't make any assumptions."

If you take the notion that ears are analogue measuring devices, the quote doesn't makes much sense.

Also, it's not clear whether he is talking of noise here or jitter (which is dead and buried these days), or waveform shape (which is completely recoverable in the small length signal paths in DACs and co). Can anyone shed some light on Robs thinking here?

Most jobs I’m involved in now are using fibre instead of copper.

and now use a £20 Fibre Media Converter
You answered my question in the subsequent post. FMCs appear to be the new Dogs Bollox, but as someone who has dickered, over the years, with various obsessions like linear power suppliers, and hifi stands, and who know what, is an ethernet connection, via fibre optics, going to be better than wifi ?
Ah, for sure :). It’s impossible not to hear a difference that a well organised power supply brings (with exception of the deaf ASR guys who think that several quid chinese dacs sound good enough but that is a usual thing :) )
I've tried a couple of the cheaper Topping and SMSL offerings, and I'd say the biggest differences to the way that dacs are going to sound like are the quality of the mastering of the source material, and the sound of your speakers. As @Alex S mentions earlier in this thread, dacs sound more alike than different.

Whilst that is interesting and valuable in its own right for the work you do, as far as I can see none of that has any relevance to the issues being discussed in this thread in that it does not appear to measure the modulation distortion being discussed arising from out of audioband noise. So as an answer to @Woodface question I am not sure it is relevant.
Ah see you've gone into full patronising mode.

Please explain why it is of no relevenace then? From where I am it covers 95% of what needs to be tested with regards to streaming music over the internet and converting back to analogue.

It measures the difference between two reference points (i.e at the source and at the destination) so if your (made up) modulation distortion is really a thing (it's not) it could easily be measured and displayed via this method.

Do you have any understanding at all or just sell over priced cables?

You do understand that audio is audio and whether the waveform is speech, music or white noise it doesn't matter to a DAC or IP network?

All you do is quote other salesman while your business partner refuses to publish any measurements, tests or answer a single technical question. All I see is a carpet bagging double act with the two of you shilling each other

Ah see you've gone into full patronising mode.

Please explain why it is of no relevenace then? From where I am it covers 95% of what needs to be tested with regards to streaming music over the internet and converting back to analogue.

It measures the difference between two reference points (i.e at the source and at the destination) so if your (made up) modulation distortion is really a thing (it's not) it could easily be measured and displayed via this method.

Do you have any understanding at all or just sell over priced cables?

You do understand that audio is audio and whether the waveform is speech, music or white noise it doesn't matter to a DAC or IP network?

All you do is quote other salesman while your business partner refuses to publish any measurements, tests or answer a single technical question. All I see is a carpet bagging double act with the two of you shilling each other
What a nasty, if not libellous post!

So if I understand your post your particular expertise covers 95% of the topics under discussion. That leaves 5%…

You have strong dogmatic views about Nick’s cables, Have you bothered to try them in the situation for which they were designed? It is all very well to reference your, for all we know great knowledge in an associated field, but surely you would want to continually question, test and prove that knowledge, although that would of course require an open minded inquisitive approach.

Just to be clear, the noise that is being discussed is out of audioband noise in the digital cable going to the DAC, whether this noise originates in the network, or streamer or elsewhere. And yes this can be measured with the right instruments. The spectrum analyser I have is at the low end of the sort of kit required and to get more meaningful measurements the cost of the kit unfortunately quickly escalates.

A more important question is perhaps whether the resulting modulation distortion can be measured on the analogue output from the DAC. Again this can be measured but and I am sorry to mention him again, Rob Watts says that the human ear is very susceptible to hearing even small levels of this distortion and measuring these low levels of distortion is challenging (but not impossible) even with the sort of measurement devices he has as his disposal.

I was talking about the ability to hear a difference, if these differences are tiny we probably just don’t hear them, perhaps we kid ourselves we do.

Rob Watts is making an observation really, he has skin in the game. This is why I always encourage people to make big changes rather than chase tiny, often imagined, improvements.

I was talking about the ability to hear a difference, if these differences are tiny we probably just don’t hear them, perhaps we kid ourselves we do.
As with everything it is different things to different people. For me and in my system the cost of the PhoenixNET switch improved the sound by an amount in proportion to its cost. I fully appreciate that to others that may well not be the case but for me I would not describe the differences as tiny. That’s all I can say really. One needs to try for oneself and make a decision / judgement.

And following on from that the difference I hear in my system is not subtle enough to be a candidate for an imagined difference.

But again, the only person who can decide is he or she who is paying the purchase cost.

That's quite an objective statement, are you ready to publish measurements to back that up?
Actually that’s a bit complicated. I’m looking forward to the measurements to show that a random switch is a better RF filter than any RF filter. I mean no one could possibly say anything that surprising without evidence, because otherwise they would look silly.

advertisement

Back