advertisement

Does connecting a streamer to Ethernet make much difference compared to wifi?

I’ve experimented a fair bit with Wi-Fi v wired connections whilst using different streamers and dacs.

Many will say there should be no difference in playback quality. On good connections I found wired to be more dynamic but noisier than Wi-Fi. I recommend you try all methods including connection method (I found usb noisiest).

The boss of Auralic is on record as saying he prefers the use of a wireless network rather than cabled into their streamers - his name is Xuanqian Wang.

As an IT bod we always go with cabled if possible - stability/reliability, recent wireless kit is so good it makes little difference unless in a challenging environment these days. Most jobs I’m involved in now are using fibre instead of copper.
I probably shouldn't mention this on this forum, as it may spark a debate. But I've always found it interesting that speed of transmission is faster on copper than for fibre. Obviously once you understand how the signal is actually transmitted in the two technologies it makes perfect sense, but it's counter intuitive for the laymen non the less. I mean everyone knows nothing can travel faster than the speed of light right? :)

What does a ‘noise artefact’ sound like?
Something like the audio equivalent of this?

artifact_1543.png

Agreed, but it will also generate UHF noise when operating. All DSP generates noise, which is why you will have read that dedicated machines make better (quieter) streamers than computers because of the streamlined processing (no unnecessary tasks running on a dedicated OS) and low-power CPUs, also no mouse or large display.

What on earth are you on about, that's just waffly nonsense.

Going the Wifi route saves the added expense of a $1000 Switch and $2000 Audioquest Diamond Ethernet cables.
True, but going the using-your-brain route works too.
I probably shouldn't mention this on this forum, as it may spark a debate. But I've always found it interesting that speed of transmission is faster on copper than for fibre. Obviously once you understand how the signal is actually transmitted in the two technologies it makes perfect sense, but it's counter intuitive for the laymen non the less. I mean everyone knows nothing can travel faster than the speed of light right? :)
yes. fibre>copper for ethernet but fibre bad, copper good for coax as any fule no.

Thoughts on this? With graphs and stuff: https://www.alpha-audio.net/review/a-very-deep-dive-into-network-switches-listening-and-measuring/

Seems like there are measurable artefacts. Whether it makes another difference or not or if it's just placebo, who knows. They did a shootout live (on YouTube somewhere) and they all reckoned they could hear significant differences. Shame they didn't do a bit of legit blind testing... sometimes swapping, sometimes keeping same box etc. to see if they're really hearing differences.

Thoughts on this? With graphs and stuff: https://www.alpha-audio.net/review/a-very-deep-dive-into-network-switches-listening-and-measuring/

Seems like there are measurable artefacts. Whether it makes another difference or not or if it's just placebo, who knows. They did a shootout live (on YouTube somewhere) and they all reckoned they could hear significant differences. Shame they didn't do a bit of legit blind testing... sometimes swapping, sometimes keeping same box etc. to see if they're really hearing differences.
Why would anyone expect there *not* to be any difference in the measurements. No measurement of the output of any audio device. Fancy dress.

No one in their right mind will pay £1,000 for an audio cable, let alone a data cable…

my ethernet cable retails for £800 per 2m, it’s good but not ultimate by any means, next model in the range is £1200 and I would like to upgrade but probably only after a streamer upgrade itself. So there seems to be some market for sure as a lot of manufacturers offer something in this range. As for the other cables, well… I’ve never seen a truly brilliant interconnect below 1,5-2k in retail, if you know, please share.

my ethernet cable retails for £800 per 2m, it’s good but not ultimate by any means, next model in the range is £1200 and I would like to upgrade but probably only after a streamer upgrade itself. So there seems to be some market for sure as a lot of manufacturers offer something in this range. As for the other cables, well… I’ve never seen a truly brilliant interconnect below 1,5-2k in retail, if you know, please share.

goodfellas-laugh-lol.gif

Something like the audio equivalent of this?

artifact_1543.png
Well that certainly has spurious effects but no, what I hear is an over emphasis on percussion notes and also on plucked notes that at times is enough to be incessant and can completely change the balance of notes in the track. I tend to use one track (Spiral Stairs by Mammal Hands) to initially listen because it helps to quickly identify if there are any noise effects.

Are you serious?!

Well that certainly has spurious effects but no, what I hear is an over emphasis on percussion notes and also on plucked notes that at times is enough to be incessant and can completely change the balance of notes in the track. I tend to use one track (Spiral Stairs by Mammal Hands) to initially listen because it helps to quickly identify if there are any noise effects.

Why not just enjoy the music? :(

Why not just enjoy the music? :(
For me the process is to optimse the equipment chain and then having done that I leave it alone and enjoy the music, albeit possibly with a higher level of enjoyment having optimised the equipment chain.

That track I mentioned definitely sounds better in a well sorted system but why not have a listen. Several people I have suggested to have a listen really liked the whole album. But try the track Spiral Stairs where differences in the system can make the differenece as to how prominent the background instruments are compoared to the lovely saxaphone notes.

Are you serious?!

Sure, ethernets are performing more or less like other digital cables when you need 1k+ for the source to really shine. Obviously there’re some bargains as usual with a very good price/performance ratio, for me it’s AQ Carbon for example, but there is a huge sq potential in the higher price segments. As for the question about interconnects, I’ve tried about 20 different options from £30 till £2,5k, again there‘re bargains like DNM or Linn Silver but truly strong performance comes around 1k for the used cable.

advertisement

Back