advertisement

Does ASR module no longer have LEDs?

orangutan

I got the ASR module from Les and installed it in my HiCap. The connections are pretty obvious and it seems to be working well with my headline. However, I didn't see any LEDs light up and on close inspection couldn't perceive any LEDs at all.

I actually got a little pop and smoke when I powered up but I think that was just some stray solder. It sounds good so I'm pretty sure I didn't destroy anything.

Does anyone know if they stopped including LEDs? I'd ask Les but in my experience he is only available on the phone and this seems like a silly little issue for a call.

Pop and smoke but you don't want to call him?! Get on the phone, he is a very helpful chap!

I agree pop and smoke means problems but since it came from the area of a solder joint and everything is working I really think it was just a bit of stray solder. If a component of the ASR went kablooie I doubt it would still work and work well. I will call him though.

Thanks PhilDick, that's what I assumed.

The newer ones do not have LEDs on them. It's equally likely the pop was a stray copper wire filament. The energy in the hicap reservoir caps is high enough to vaporise things - most notably one of my multimeter probe claws.

If all is working you should have 25v on each output. Enjoy it - it's easily the best upgrade you can do to a hicap and really lets the music flow out.

Thanks MJS. Stray copper makes a lot of sense. Because of the shape of the terminal there isn't an intuitive way to make a good physical connection as you solder. I actually called Les before I noticed this latest reply. He said the same- as long as I have 25 v I'm good. Like I said, it sounds wonderful. I originally ran the headline 2 with the napsc and I thought my AKG 701s were kind of edgey. When I put the Hicap on it got much better. I didn't have that set for terribly long before the ASR. It's a nice upgrade. It wasn't as big as going from the NAPSC to the Hicap, but very good.

advertisement

Back