advertisement

Does Anybody Still Play Family Board Games?

I’m also extremely competitive and therefore struggle with losing - but I’m not so psychopathic that I want that to spoil the game for others either.
Sounds like a collaborative game like Pandemic, Forbidden Desert, etc could be the way to go. You're then competing against the game, not the other players - you either all win or all lose. There are lots out there.

I'm eagerly waiting for my copy of Nemesis - it was a Kickstarter that is almost at the production stage. It's collaborative, but with personal victory goals, although it seems to be more about surviving than 'winning'.

Yes, we play Talisman, highly recommended! It is very friendly towards new players, as the wrong card can reset all you’ve built up. A fun dice roller where you build up your characters to progress to the next stage. A lot of chance involved, but it’s about the story and the unpredictability that makes it family fun.

My SO plays with our two little ones for a bedtime treat - I observe from a great distance. They're all so competitive and all hate losing it's just a battle ground...

we have played Colditz now for 40 years, the kids play if they come over. It is my favourite, and we have an old version with proper swastikas on the cards/box (they removed them I think in the 80's from new versions) Top game.
We also play Othello (2 player, fantastic game) - Scrabble (of course) we have a very old american version with wooden letters.
Also I like Mastermind, Connect 4 and Risk (if we have 2 days free!)
Monopoly & Cluedo get an occasional play, but not often.
We also play an excellent fast card game called 'Shithead' which I really like.
We have Mahjong, but the wife has not taught me that yet, and we need 4 folks for a good game. I also like that game with counters & dice but I cannot recall the name (half a brain literally) - we don't have one of those.

Colditz is easily my fave as the roles can change if you are the 'baddies'

Any other Colditz fans?

Gosh, yes, a great game. I’m not sure, but we may still have the copy bought new in the 1970s. Must go hunt.

I also love Formula 1 - a surprisingly “authentic” experience given that it's just a board game. Had to buy a copy off eBay some years back :)

Gosh, yes, a great game. I’m not sure, but we may still have the copy bought new in the 1970s. Must go hunt.

I also love Formula 1 - a surprisingly “authentic” experience given that it's just a board game. Had to buy a copy off eBay some years back :)

I have played that Formual 1 games I think. Segmented course, dice based with ? penalty cards. Gawd that was yonks ago

The original swastika version is the one I have, there is a non-swastika version that came later...

I have played that Formual 1 games I think. Segmented course, dice based with ? penalty cards. Gawd that was yonks ago

The original swastika version is the one I have, there is a non-swastika version that came later...

Not dice based per se, you decide how fast to go and there are limits on acceleration/braking combined with various penalties for exceeding - though a dice throw is used for these I seem to remember.

Haven’t played Colditz for a long time! Hope I still have it - if I do it’ll be out at Christmas :)

Not exactly a board game as such...

supreme-court-twister-tpc-i4253.jpg

advertisement

Back