advertisement

Does Anybody Still Play Family Board Games?

Colditz! Yeah, brilliant game. We also had the original livery. We played as kids and later with our kids.
Campaign
Hotels, interesting variation on Monopoly
Scrabble
Monopoly, original as kids and several versions of with our kids.
Connect four
Uno
Jenga
Explorer
Cluedo
Battleships
Aircharter
Another plane game a bit like battleships
Admirals
Etc!

Sadly none now as the kids have flown.

Poker's a card game so it doesn't count. Backgammon does, like chess it is one that goes back centuries, maybe more. I like Backgammon as there is an element of luck. If I play chess against a club champion, he will win 10 games out of 10. If I play Backgammon against the world champion, he won't win every game. 9 out of 10, sure, but not all 10.

Colditz! Yeah, brilliant game. We also had the original livery. We played as kids and later with our kids.
Campaign
Hotels, interesting variation on Monopoly
Scrabble
Monopoly, original as kids and several versions of with our kids.
Connect four
Uno
Jenga
Explorer
Cluedo
Battleships
Aircharter
Another plane game a bit like battleships
Admirals
Etc!

Sadly none now as the kids have flown.

We play Uno with the Gee-Kids, they love it.
Also we can sometimes drag kids back home to play Colditz (house favourite here) - minimum of 3 hours ideally... for a proper game.
Scrabble, Othello, Chess, Mastermind and a few card games played in the last month. Any excuse to try and pull the missus away from the the devil that is Television.

Mostly just Scrabble for us. Some of the others are too complicated, whilst some were OK when our children were young but are a bit simplistic now.

Scrabble on holiday. Kangaroo with a triple word score together with the A on ‘Human’ running down the board was 130 points I think :)

My kids are a bit young yet, but have a cupboard full of games waiting.

My GF and I have been thinking about trying a 'grown up' board game. We can't play the obvious traditional board games for various reasons (she can't stand losing at trivial pursuit, and is possessed by some kind of vicious hyper-capitalist demon at the sight of a monopoly board. Scrabble worked, but we need new blood), so I had a google and realised there's a whole scene of such things out there.

I had seen good reviews of Arkham Horror. Thanks to the thread necro, I've now added Pandemic to the list - Pandemic Legacy looked a bit expensive for an experiment, but the 2013 version of the original is still around.

So ta.

Every Saturday we do a familiy boardgame - I find it a great way to chat about the week with my wife and daughter.
Usually Scrabble or Monopoly. Couple of times a week my daughter and I play chess - she's getting better!

Scrabble on holiday. Kangaroo with a triple word score together with the A on ‘Human’ running down the board was 130 points I think :)
How did you manage that? Kangaroo has 8 letters so you need one from an existing word, you can't hang it on the end of another word. All the triple word boxes are along edges so "human" can't leave a hanging "A" on an edge square.

Every Saturday we do a familiy boardgame - I find it a great way to chat about the week with my wife and daughter.
Usually Scrabble or Monopoly. Couple of times a week my daughter and I play chess - she's getting better!
Great scheme. I used to play chess with my dad after school, in the early days he would read the paper and watch the news over my shoulder. After a certain time he remembers that he had to start concentrating and then at the age of about 13 something clicked in my understanding of the game and I became rather good. School champion, on the school team, all that. He never got much of a look-in after that. There was a family friend who was a very good player, he and his wife used to come to dinner every so often and we'd play, but even when I played well and without mistakes he'd beat me every time.

How did you manage that? Kangaroo has 8 letters so you need one from an existing word, you can't hang it on the end of another word. All the triple word boxes are along edges so "human" can't leave a hanging "A" on an edge square.

Haha. Sorry I didn’t take a picture! But It worked!

My GF and I have been thinking about trying a 'grown up' board game. We can't play the obvious traditional board games for various reasons (she can't stand losing at trivial pursuit, and is possessed by some kind of vicious hyper-capitalist demon at the sight of a monopoly board. Scrabble worked, but we need new blood), so I had a google and realised there's a whole scene of such things out there.

I had seen good reviews of Arkham Horror. Thanks to the thread necro, I've now added Pandemic to the list - Pandemic Legacy looked a bit expensive for an experiment, but the 2013 version of the original is still around.
If you want to see the real dark side of your GF, give Magic Maze a go.

I'm not sure I'd recommend Arkham Horror to someone new to modern board games - it's a good game, but not the easiest to get your head around, especially if you're not familiar with the Lovecraft mythos.

I'd recommend Pandemic over Pandemic Legacy - I haven't played Legacy, but my brother-in-law says while it's more challenging, it's much less fun.

If you're looking for something lighter, I can recommend Colt Express and Takenoko.

If you want to see the real dark side of your GF, give Magic Maze a go.

I'm not sure I'd recommend Arkham Horror to someone new to modern board games - it's a good game, but not the easiest to get your head around, especially if you're not familiar with the Lovecraft mythos.

I'd recommend Pandemic over Pandemic Legacy - I haven't played Legacy, but my brother-in-law says while it's more challenging, it's much less fun.

If you're looking for something lighter, I can recommend Colt Express and Takenoko.

Superb, cheers for the tips!

We play Ticket to Ride whenever we have friends round, which is great and feels very much like a 'traditional' board game. The iPad app is also fantastic.

I really like Coup too, a 15 minute card based game. There's a cafe round here which lends you the game and teachers you the rules. I keep meaning to go...

There's a board game café in town called Thirsty Meeples. The kids love it.
The walls are chok-a-block with some uncommon board games.
This one is nice:

battle-sheep.jpg

I have generally always hated “bored” games, whereas my SO enjoys them and they have a bit of a Christmas tradition in her family.

I’m also extremely competitive and therefore struggle with losing - but I’m not so psychopathic that I want that to spoil the game for others either.

But somehow this thread has piqued my interest - I need something that is mentally stimulating that isn’t work but is easy enough to play en famille.

advertisement

Back