advertisement

Does analogue ultimately beat digital?

Our current scientific understanding does not support this view. It supports the view that even cd level conversion is at least very near complete transparency. Even the best of analog has never been this good and never will.
Is there a confusion between measured transparency and audible transparency? I don't believe they are the same thing, and I know which one matters to me.

Is there a confusion between measured transparency and audible transparency? I don't believe they are the same thing, and I know which one matters to me.

There is no such thing as audible transparency. Just personal preference.

The only possible fidelity is to the recorded signal.

Something to keep in mind that's inherent to digital sampling, is that the higher the frequency, the less information is retained about the shape of the wave. Yes, you can sample a 22.05 kHz wave with a sample rate of 44.1k, but the only information that you're sampling is the amplitude of the peak and trough of the wave. There's no other information retained to tell you if it was a sine wave, a square wave, a saw wave, etc. At very high frequencies, all of that has to come from reconstruction filters. Reconstruction filters have gotten fairly good at guessing what those wave shapes should be, by interpolating from surrounding data, but it's still a guess, whereas the original information is just there in an analogue source, and no guesses or assumptions have to be made about wave shapes.

Something to keep in mind that's inherent to digital sampling, is that the higher the frequency, the less information is retained about the shape of the wave. Yes, you can sample a 22.05 kHz wave with a sample rate of 44.1k, but the only information that you're sampling is the amplitude of the peak and trough of the wave. There's no other information retained to tell you if it was a sine wave, a square wave, a saw wave, etc. At very high frequencies, all of that has to come from reconstruction filters. Reconstruction filters have gotten fairly good at guessing what those wave shapes should be, by interpolating from surrounding data, but it's still a guess, whereas the original information is just there in an analogue source, and no guesses or assumptions have to be made about wave shapes.
Sorry no. Sampling and reconstruction do not work like this.

Our current scientific understanding does not support this view. It supports the view that even cd level conversion is at least very near complete transparency. Even the best of analog has never been this good and never will.

And De ionized water is pure but you shouldn't drink it..

There is no such thing as audible transparency. Just personal preference.

The only possible fidelity is to the recorded signal.
It always amuses me how the word "transparency" is misused and misunderstood. It is a visual term, and a coloured medium such as glass can be transparent. In audio it is used to suggest uncoloured, which is not what it means.
And fidelity (not what we were discussing) can only be to the original music. The recording is the start of the infidelity, unless of course, you prefer measurements over hearing. Which obviously many do.

It always amuses me how the word "transparency" is misused and misunderstood. It is a visual term, and a coloured medium such as glass can be transparent. In audio it is used to suggest uncoloured, which is not what it means.
And fidelity (not what we were discussing) can only be to the original music. The recording is the start of the infidelity, unless of course, you prefer measurements over hearing. Which obviously many do.
Unlike vinyl digital can reproduce signal more faithfully. Do not get too hung up on dictionary definitions.

A 20khz saw tooth has many components above that frequency and can't be accurately captured with a cut off at 2x the fundamental frequency.

Same for square waves.

Neither of which exist acoustically in the natural world.

I understand that. The mastering is most important, then pressing. Off-centering is a problem, also "A stamper will wear out after creating about 1000 records" so the 20th record will be worse than the 2nd and the 800th, well, you get the picture.

One of the least mentioned advantages of the CD was repeatable quality with every single item.
have you ever compared a 6-eye kind of blue or 2-eye vs a columbia reissue versions from the late 70’s?

the difference is shocking.

Didn't really want to get into this debate but what about the limiting compression with so much digital these days?
And that includes a lot of so called hi-res streaming, you only have to look at the DRC database to see the shocking extent of it with so many great old albums as well as new stuff.

The The infected is one example, brickwalled to hell it's unlistenable except on a car stereo .

A 20khz saw tooth has many components above that frequency and can't be accurately captured with a cut off at 2x the fundamental frequency.

Same for square waves.

Neither of which exist acoustically in the natural world.
Not sure which "side" of the discussion you are on here*, but I note that much of the music we listen to doesn't exist in the natural world.
*I am probably doing you a disservice, for which I apologise in advance.

Shannon information I've heard of but...?

It's a term for repesenting the available 'space' in terms of a 2d 'area' whose width is the frequency range and whose hight is the available signal to noise ratio. Useful when dealing with systems like RIAA LP or other example like FM radio where you can cover a wider range at some frequencies than others.

The point of pre/de-emphasis as per LP and FM is to optimise the "communicated information's" use of that 'space'. Hence handy when considering LP versus plain Audio CD. (Which also has an option to EQ to fit which is rarely used.)

Didn't really want to get into this debate but what about the limiting compression with so much digital these days?
And that includes a lot of so called hi-res streaming, you only have to look at the DRC database to see the shocking extent of it with so many great old albums as well as new stuff.

The The infected is one example, brickwalled to hell it's unlistenable except on a car stereo .
I think this is consistent with my view that once you have a good enough system, debating analogue vs digital is much less important than debating the quality of sources.

advertisement

Back