advertisement

Dodgy email

RickyC6

Infuriate the frog-men
Any of you good folks experienced something like this? had an email (main txt below) today with an .arj attachment that contains an .exe file. Looks like a virus yeah?

Thank you for using our services!
Your order #18073323524 will be shipped on 09-09-2014.

Date: September 02, 2014. 10:27am
Price: £156.84
Payment method: Credit card
Transaction number: C4BCB306A9C6

Please find the detailed information on your purchase in the attached file (sale_2014-09-02_09-45-52_18073323524.arj)

Best regards,
Sales Department
Shelly Mule
+07958 154 315

Had something very similar today
Mine should be delivered before yours .............

Thank you for using our services!
Your order #40763288285 will be shipped on 05-09-2014.

Date: September 02, 2014. 10:09am
Price: £110.97
Payment method: Wire transfer
Transaction number: 92856EBCC418D7

Please find the detailed information on your purchase in the attached file (item_2014-09-02_09-33-16_40763288285.arj)

Best regards,
Sales Department
Joseph Renwick

I have had one too. Mine was from Jesus though.

It is the attachment that is dodgy, not the email. This is designed to make you open the attatchment.

Just delete the whole bloody thing !!

I had one today as well reporting a purchase of 'Skype' via PayPal. There was a link to click to confirm the transaction. I guess they wanted me to click the link and log in using my username and password.

Yes, also had dodgy emails supposedly from PayPal & apple asking to confirm account details. They do look very genuine. However, if they start with " dear customer" or similar, rather than addressing you by your name, it's a spoof. Delete immediately.

I received this the other day from "Outlook":

"Dear Account Owner.

VERIFY THIS EMAIL ADDRESS TO AVOID IMMEDIATE CLOSURE

We have recently confirmed that your mailbox has exceeded the limit of 30 GB, which is as set by your manager and your are currently at 30.9GB.Different computers have logged into your mailbox account and multiple password errors have been entered. We are hereby suspending your account; as it has been used for fraudulent purposes. Now we need you to reconfirm your account information to us. Click your reply tab, fill in the columns below and send it back to us or your email account will be suspended permanently and you will not be able to create new e-mail to send or receive again until your reconfirm your account information.

Name: ........................................
User Name :................................
Password: ..................................
Reconfirm Password:..................
Date of Birth................................
Country or Territory.....................

Here are some ways to help you manage your account after you reconfirm your account.
Create an archive - Set up a folder on your PC’s hard drive where you can save large attachments. Then just delete them from your inbox. You’ll still have them and your in-box will be that much smaller.
Make your filters work for you- Did you know you can set up your Hot mail account to immediately delete junk e-mail? Go to Options, and click Filters and reporting. Under the “Delete junk e-mail” section, select immediately to delete junk e-mail right away. Once you’re finished, click Save and you’re done.
Delete a bunch of mail at once- Go to your Junk and Deleted folders, and clear them out by clicking the “Empty” button in the action bar.
Sincerely,
The email service administration Team"

Clicking on the sender's contact revealed this name:

[email protected]

Not suspicious at all!

True they use the Paypal logo etc...

But this is funny and I quote;

"You can enter all information correct and add a credit card and/or Visa debit card right now by following these simple steps:"

Now I am not a native speaker, but please don't tell me that the above is English correct ; )

Yes, also had dodgy emails supposedly from PayPal & apple asking to confirm account details. They do look very genuine. However, if they start with " dear customer" or similar, rather than addressing you by your name, it's a spoof. Delete immediately.

My ISP (Karoo) is clearly rubbish at spam filtering. To be fair I don't get much, and this the first of this kind.

How do you guys still get this stuff in your inbox?

What email services are you using?

I wonder the same tbh. I have a few emails accounts all with different providers. One I use for general crap, and I might expect dodgy stuff to hit this one but as it's not linked to anything like bank accounts or PayPal etc, I'm not worried.

The others I tend to be careful with and don't throw them around freely hence why I'm wondering how they got my PayPal email address??

Here's one my wife (who is a doctor of Chinese Medicine) received:

Hello,

My name is Claudia Pinger; I will be going on my annual leave on the 30th of May and will be coming to Germany on holiday for 1month. I would be staying from Sunday 1st of June 2014 to Wednesday 2nd of July 2014. I require the services of a Personal Acupuncturist, though this could be done rather flexibly for the entire period of our stay. I will require your services for 2 days each week and for 1 session of 1hour or 1hour/30mins each depending on your availability.

Basically I require acupuncture in other to relax as I regularly have stiffness and pain in my lower back. Over the past 1 month I have hired the services of a personal acupuncturist and I find each acupuncture session very relaxing, refreshing and eases my back pain. Since I am going on a 1 month holiday I would like to continue with my work-out program during my stay in Germany. I would greatly appreciate your thoughts, recommendation and the total costs for your services (4weeks - number of sessions 8).

I'm 42 years old and a senior accountant, working with Cromford Foods Limited here in the United Kingdom. I will be happy to pay in advance of our visit to guarantee your services during our stay. We can have the therapy sessions at your Clinic/Studio. I look forward to hearing from you, many thanks.

Best regards,
Claudia Pinger
61 Hartfield Crescent
London, SW19 3RZ
United Kingdom

She forwarded it to me so that I could help her compose a reply that evening. But, there was something not quite right about it. Why did she insist on giving her profession and the company she works for? I thought I'd dig a bit deeper. Cromford Foods doesn't exist. The address is also coincidentally round the corner from my folks, so I popped around there when I was in London, and there's no Claudia Pinger living there, and the owners were naturally a tad concerned.

I'm still unsure how they wanted to proceed should my wife have fallen for it (for fun, we asked them to send a daytime tel no as these things are best "discussed on the phone" but they didn't reply). It is a very believable e-mail, and had my wife not been married to an English native speaker, she may well have fallen for it...

Its a scam and could develop in a number of ways maybe pay money into your account then they cancel the trip and you transfer the money back. Seems OK until you have that money removed twice from your account once to the scammer and second to someone whose account was scammed to pay you in the first place.

Maybe.

Cheers,

DV

I use hotmail and receive less than one spam/dodgy email per month.

Indeed, Gmail, Hotmail/Outlook have really tightened up their spam filtering over the past few years.

I get one maybe every couple of months and they are just marketing ones. No phishing stuff gets through to my Inbox.

advertisement

Back