advertisement

Document my life - X100 forever camera for my wife

JemHayward

pfm Member
At one time I used a Fuji X100 then I bought a pair of X-E1s, one for me, and one for my wife, and a clutch of lenses. My wife takes great photos, but even a zoom ring is too much fuss, and she commented that the X100 did everything she needed. It's unlikely that I will do any more photography as I have terminal cancer, and only a matter of weeks left, so I'm thinking about getting her an X100 and selling off all the other kit to pay for it.
Do I just get her the latest model, or should I be looking in Fuji Refurbished for something from the lineage. I did think about Leica Q2, but a bit too heavy and bulky for her (and bonkers £££).
Any opinions?

Crikey Jem that post is awful news. I'm so very sorry to hear your news and astounded at your bravery.
For a sensible reply if it's possible now, get her what she needs. There is no way either of you will be thinking about this again so if she once loved an X100, get her one. If you can PX your current kit somewhere then do that wherever is simplest.

I can't understand what else to say but if you need anything please ask.

John.

Oh, Jem; that's dreadful news to read. I can't but agree wholeheartedly with @Rockmeister 's response, all of it.

But I do understand the camera issue; I've had my orig X100 for 8yrs+ now, and it does all I want - want a little zoom? I toddle toward the subject a bit...

Oh Jem - that's truly dreadful news, and I'm terribly sorry to read it.

As Martin said above, I cannot add any more to what John said.

I am so sorry to hear this Jem - my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Do whatever brings you both the most joy in the time that you have left.

Amar

Can’t advise on camera just wanted to add sorry I am to hear your news, thoughts are with you both.

Angus

Jem,

I’m so sorry to hear that. That’s such devastating news. I don’t know what to say other than I admire your bravery and thoughtfulness.

Joe

Jem ,terrible news and I too agree with @Rockmeister and @martin clark

An original X100 is a lovely thing, a little slow by today’s standards but sublime image output - only technical advice is to go for one that has a serial number starting 21 or higher, earlier copies suffered from SAB - Sticky Aperture Blades - best if luck with your search

Our thoughts are with you

Last edited:
Hi Jem

I'm so, so sorry to hear your news. It's just horrible to hear. I think @Rockmeister captured how we all feel on reading it

I have a 100t and no desire to change it. I moved from the original model and find it quicker and sharper. May be worth a look. I'm sure MPB will be able to sort something out for you with a minimum of fuss.

Kevin

trying to be more camera useful, I'd think the 'f' is possibly the way to go if you can't find an 's'. It seems (and i'm not an owner) that the jump from 100 to 100s was well worth the leap and the s retains the simplicity of operation that your wife may remember, then it was small changes until the f which did make some quite serious improvements over the t it replaced.
I see MPB have a black 100s for £469 that would tempt me :)

Jem, I can only echo the comments above and am really sorry to hear this news

I have greatly valued your contributions in the photo room and will miss your wisdom and insight

My thoughts will be with you and your wife over the next few weeks

Jem, I'm so sorry to hear your terrible news. My thoughts are with you and your family.

I'm sorry I have no advice on cameras. Take care.

advertisement

Back