advertisement

do you remember JBL Aquarius 4 from (1974) @ £50 too

I still got the magazines from early 60s up to the mid 70s. Built their power amp with active filters once. :)
Do you mean the TIM-free power amp? TIM was very important then. Seems forgotten now.

Ah, so another "Radio & Television" reader?

And drooling Stereo Hifihandboken collector?

Didn't get that bad. Read R&T mostly for the actual technical content. I fondly remember their 75 W amp...

Yes to all above! I have most of the late 70's R&T left in the archive, only one Handboken.

Most important in those days was, of course, the mile long cassette tape tests...

Lucky me was living in Västervik where the 'serious' HiFi store had JBL L300's on demo (probably never got sold)!

I still got the magazines from early 60s up to the mid 70s. Built their power amp with active filters once. :)
Do you mean the TIM-free power amp? TIM was very important then. Seems forgotten now.

Do you happen to have a ca 1968 big loudspeaker test in RT?

We had Svalander in Jönköping. Hifi in a "living room" setting. He sold on to Armin Gassner and move north. Did my "job training" there as 14yo and was stunned by the cool Quad II and 22 kit, plus of course the ESL-57. Later a bought a 2nd hand 33/303 combo and new KEF Codas there for hard earned summer job money.
There were also some other huge electrostatic panels, two foldable for mid and treble and four foldable for bass.

I remember the 70/80 horn speaker building instructions, and the Bulgarian Gamma ribbon horns (basically London copies).

Very interesting thread to read, thanks.

I found this thread by searching for aquarius 4. I am designing something similar and it was the up and down firing drivers which really interested me.

Did you get the driver re foamed and are they still being listened to ? Your review was rather glowing. :)
Sorry been social iso-ing rather longer than required....yes I refoamed them myself and it was easy once I got a gougeing technique learnt, the JBL gloop holding the cones in was formidable

Cone Alignment was the next concern but pressing the assembly in and out repeatedly once everything was in place ensured the coil was always going to be free.

They sound incredible especially the famous JBL bass which can be quite shocking when one isnt use to such bass ease.

Its not like Isobarik bass at all ...its more tuneful is the only way I can describe it.

My estranged wife was very pleased with them as they fit in with her studio vibe.

advertisement

Back