advertisement

Do we like Traffic?

For me, my save-one album would be "On The Road" which captures the essence of them live at that time and that version of "Low Spark..." is their masterwork. If I could save two, the other would be "Barleycorn"

"Welcome to the Canteen" is not a bad live album either. If you skip the Dave Mason dirges...

I approve of Traffic. Seem a very solid band from what I have heard. Have one (deffo 'Low Spark...') or maybe two CDs in the cupboard somewhere. o_O

I have posted this before and I trust we have all seen it. Tremendous performance.

For me, my save-one album would be "On The Road" which captures the essence of them live at that time and that version of "Low Spark..." is their masterwork. If I could save two, the other would be "Barleycorn"

As a lifelong Traffic fan I may have to revisit On The Road again but from memory it doesn’t capture the magic of those earlier albums. They all have their moments but the run from Mr Fantasy up to John Barleycorn are my go to albums.

This is worth getting - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01MQ4BBYD/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I am very surprised noone has mentioned the big hit. "Keep on Running."

"Keep On Running" is a song written and first recorded by Jackie Edwards. It became a hit in the UK for The Spencer Davis Group; their version reached number one in the charts.

I like them. I bought the box set for £12 or so, it's great. Will I be seeking out the rest of their catalogue? Maybe not, but what I have is good and gets played a fair bit.

Dave Mason´s Alone Together is another ¨Traffic¨gem, Low Spark of High Heeled Boys is another with a proggy keyboardy flavour. In fact, you can´t go wrong with any of them
Both those albums are superb. The title track on Low Spark is a spacious, loose extended jam, with some fabulously wonky Rick Grech bass playing high up in the mix. Alone Together is a beautiful album, both of its time and encapsulating that time perfectly, which makes it great to listen to all these years later.

I also bought the box set of CDs a few years ago, well worth the price. Steve Winwood is very good on the Blind Faith album as well as doing some moog fills on John Martyn's "small hours" track

As an earlier post said "When the Eagle Flies" is excellent - some off the wall lyrics on Dream Gerrard from Viv Stanshall (Bonzo Dog !). I think it's the last album featuring Capaldi/Wood/Winwood in Traffic - as Wood died a few years later.

Something New and Walking in the Wind are two other highlights on the Eagle album.

I saw Steve supporting Steely Dan in Glasgow a 3 or 4 years ago at the Hydro/Ovo - he had a small little band and was utterly superb - singing, Hammond, Strat - he could do it all...

As we are talking about Traffic we should mention the musical conscience of the band, Chris Wood. Although not one of the song writers, his input was crucial to the direction and sound of the group and as such was essential to the mix that made Traffic so special.

There is only one album of his music, which was put together posthumously, but if you like Traffic, it’s worth checking out: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075V18HR1/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
It's also worth mentioning the albums Steve made with Stomu Yamashta: "Go" and "Go Live from Paris".

I also love the East Wind Album, incidentally, Saul Bass’s only sleeve art credit.

No one could be disappointed by the first 4 Traffic albums proper - Mr Fantasy, Traffic, John Barleycorn and The Low Spark of High heeled boys, but they never put out a bad album.

Does anyone have the triple cd "Transmission Impossible" ? I have seen mixed reviews on Amazon. Is it worth having?

I have been a fan of Steve Winwood for a long time, he has collaborated on a wealth of important albums including Jimmy Hendrix Experience - Electric Ladyland due in no small part to his exceptional Hammond playing. He reformed the band Traffic and came out with a lesser known but still superb album https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Far_from_Home_(Traffic_album) to help out the finances of the surviving members if the stories I remember are true from when the album was released.

advertisement

Back