advertisement

Do old OM lenses fit digital Olympus SLRs?

Mike Reed

pfm Member
I know this is more of a pic. thread but wonder if anyone can cast a light on this. Maybe, when they brought out digital SLRs, they changed the mounts, though I can't see why they'd need to (but CAN see why they'd want to ;) )

I think the mounts are different but you should be able to get an adapter depending on model?
Until recently I've used Speedgraphic for such things but they appear to have closed which is a shame.
I have adapters for an older pen digital and also my sony which permits use of OM shift lenses, no digital functionality though. Try Novoflex?

There’s a whole pile of adapters for Olympus vintage lenses to digital. And vics versa.. K & F Concept make very good ones, with good Black Friday deals atm. Mounts had to change to accommodate electronics. :cool:

My advice would be to not skimp on the adapter. I have been less than satisfied with some of the cheaper brands, in terms of the quality of the bayonet mount.The cheaper ones can feel too tight or loose, presumably because of machining tolerances and quality of materials. I like the adapters made by Novoflex.

I wonder if there are financial or any other advantages in buying old OM lenses plus adapted to use on digital Olympus. Can't see it myself, but surely there can't that many analogue 35 mm fanatics out there and are the usual 20 and 36 exp. films of different ASA speeds still buyable? I've just found 4 dd 2005 in my drawer !!!

I wonder if there are financial or any other advantages in buying old OM lenses plus adapted to use on digital Olympus. Can't see it myself, but surely there can't that many analogue 35 mm fanatics out there and are the usual 20 and 36 exp. films of different ASA speeds still buyable? I've just found 4 dd 2005 in my drawer !!!
Hi Mike,

My cameras of choice are... in order... 2 x Minolta XD 7 , one for colour, one B+W 35mm (film), Minolta Autocord 6x6 medium format film. Sony A7 ll full frame digital. Still prefer film. ...What's dd 2005 ? If it's film ...use it!. If ye don't want it , I'll buy it from you.!
Ah have 3,4 film cameras, used regularly inc. Olympus, of around 15, in total . :cool:

I believe Olympus made a OM - Four thirds adaptor. And then Four Thirds to MFT adaptor. I have a couple of the latter. I was wondering if the two adaptors can work together.

What's dd 2005 ? If it's film ...use it!. If ye don't want it , I'll buy it from you.!
3 x Kodak Ultra Max 800 ASA (36 exp.) + 1 x S'bury's 200ASA (36 exp.) +1 x Kodak Ultra 400ASA (36 exp.) in cylinder but not boxed like others. I'll bear you in mind, Locheeboy, when I have a sort-out of all my photographic stuff. I certainly won't be using them.

I believe Olympus made a OM - Four thirds adaptor. And then Four Thirds to MFT adaptor. I have a couple of the latter. I was wondering if the two adaptors can work together.
Not unless they're designed to, no. The focal plane would be in the wrong place if nothing else.

advertisement

Back