advertisement

DL-103, height/weight mod?

Zu claim to select their donor DL103s and now offer different levels. When I bought mine there was only one. My Zu certainly has better channel balance than my stock 103.

I haven't noticed anything regarding balance in my cart. But I will consider the Midas thingy seriously - it looks damn cool too!

A simple possible fix for the weight problem of the 103 is to use heavier bolts for the mounting the cart. The ones supplied are very light. I found the heavier bolts that came with my ARO to make a discernible difference in the sound.

Yes but at what cost? The last DL-103 I bought had matching channels at 0.37/0.37mV but that's lucky I guess. :)

There's a US seller on eBay who's been selling selected Denon cartridges regularly for a long time:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=300715739546
Indeed, but how does he select them without testing them? Claims they have never been mounted. Denon test each one anyway... Not sure this is quite what it claims to be. I'm happy with paying Zu to do all the scary work for me, as the results far exceed the cost. My ESCO Zu is way, way better than any of my Lyras and about half the price I paid ten years ago...

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I'm sure that the ZU is very good - especially with the sapphire cantilever and Paratrace tip. :) I've had a Midas body lying around for some time now but no 103 for a long time. Will undoubtedly try a 103R in it at some point and perhaps later the ESCo treatment - was very pleased with their Paratrace job on my Ortofon Jubilee.

I fitted a MIDAS body to my 103 and if you take it slowly and follow the instructions in the video its not that difficult to do.... I'm not saying that it isn't a little terrifying to do though!

In terms of value for money in the improvement of sound I think its one of the best things I ever did, so I would say go for it.

Before anyone mentioned the Midas I'd already ordered the 103 weight thingy from Isokinetik together with their metal stub and weight for the RB250. Last night I mounted the 103 weight and the other stuff - and it all went to hell. Suddenly I got the dreaded midtone distortion I've always had problems with when using the 103. Why? Is there anything I should know regarding the Isokinetik weight?

Frustrated!!!

Oh and I tried my Kontrapunkt too just because I've had problems with the 103 before - and it's the same. Midtone distortion all over the place. What am I missing?

Worst thing is I know the arm could benefit from a recable and a better mount but since it all worked so much better before I mounted the new stub and weight I want to have these things sorted first...

Think I got it all sorted out. I took it all apart again and used another protractor taking more care. Lastly I adjusted the phono stage to load 100ohm/58db and it seems much much better now. I think I ran it too hot before! Stupid me!

Actually it sounds almost terrifyingly good right now listening to Recondite "On Acid".

Phew!

Great! :) For a moment there I thought that you'd botched the bearings while changing the end-stub.. Kinda strange that the 103 should be so sensitive when considering its big round conical.

I'm almost convinced 20% was the crap alignment and 80% too hot settings in the phono stage. The Kontrapunkt and the 103 reacted the same way so I should have been thinking more logically I guess :)

Guess I should take a picture of the tt in question :)

Don't be afraid of nuding the 103, watch the video on you tube and pause or rewind where you have to, I did mine in under 10 minutes. I fitted an aluminium body to mine and now it's at Soundsmith getting a ruby cantilever and fineline stylus, only about 6 more weeks to wait...

Oh yes mine goes on a 250 too, I got a custom CW made up by j7 over at AO as I have a Rock and the outrigger etc makes it quite heavy with the ally body, the CW turned put to be 200grammes.

advertisement

Back