advertisement

DL-103, height/weight mod?

mirland

pfm Member
I have just mounted a DL-103 to the RB250 arm on my mod'ed Thorens TD-160b. But the 103 really needs some height and weight added to it. Anybody know a decent preferably non-DIY solution? I am not really interested in nuding it and mounting it in a wood body or the likes there off.

It sounds rather good already but ...you know :)

I use a DL103 on an RB300. I tried adding weight to the cart end but I didn't feel it made much of a difference. The hight on my fine is ok, it's an LP12 with no spacers under the arm.

I must admit I can't really hear anything really bad (apart from the 103's usual tracking issue in the inner grooves) but I can see that the arm is a bit too high up so the VTA is off.

The headshell is too high?

I don't really get much tracking distortion, I think the Denon tracks very well.

SME make them, but very expensive.
Technics make them for the 1200, so nice and cheap! They aren't very thick, try two?
The mass of the RB250 is just OK, but it wouldn't hurt to add a bit extra.

Audiomods do a graduated set of four for around £20.

Specifically to fit the RB250

This morning I attached one of the Technics thingies (I remembered I used to have one) and tbh I don't really know if I can hear any difference... ? But it made VTA a bit better :) It's the first time I have a DL-103 in a RB250 arm and I can say with no doubt it's a better match than most others I've tried.

Denon supply a weight/spacer with their DL110, I am sure that a Denon dealer would have one or two if you wanted to keep it in-brand.

Johnnie at AO supplies a brass weight for the 103 in a Rega. It sits in the large hole at the rear of the headshell. For correct vta try the Michell Rega vta adjuster. I think it's quite cheap for what it is.

Hi Mirland.

Sound Hi-Fi has some custom made for the 103 in two weight classes:

http://www.soundhifi.com/denon phono cartridges.html

Scroll down a bit. I used to use the 103 in the ebony housing with added brass weight (>+5g) - had to use the extra heavy Rega counterweight too. CW hanging at the end of the stub and had to leave the VTF spring at zero (RB700) using a digital scale for measurement.

So back to the good ol' 103 eh? :) This for a second system?

Been a long time Krenzler! I've ordered both an additional weight/platform thingy for the 103 plus stub and weight for the rb250 at Isokinetik. I hope they'll be there when I get back from Berlin where I'm at right now :) Not for a second system - I've downgraded from my Kuzma to a modded Thorens since I'm more focused on the studio end of things these days )

Indeed it has. Yes saw that you had the Kuzma for sale - good to know that you found a buyer. And a slightly modded TD160 is certainly not to be sniffed at as a music communicating machine. :)

Hopefully you still got the lovely ATC's?

The TD160 plays surprisingly well. It does not have the extreme dynamics or stage of a complete Kuzma setup but neither does it fall through on any parts. It plays the music and does so in an engaging way making me smile. I'm using the little Korora phono stage connected to the Supplier and it's all really good for a fraction of the Kuzma price. I might get Zu Audio 103 but I guess all in all I'm pretty happy with the setup.

I still have the ATC amp / speaker setup of course :)

And unlike the Uwe wooden bodies there's no need to file the corners and sides for the fit - it pushes right in with a tight firm fit due to precise tolerances. Only need to remove any possible glue leftover.

advertisement

Back