advertisement

DIY Valve Phono Pre Recommendations?

lencotweaker

Mostly dreaming of record players
Any good recommendations for a decent valve phono preamp kit? Something with decent support, tried and tested and with good instructions.

cheers

There are plenty of EAR834P kits on ebay and there are some where you can buy the board, a nice case and the transformer all from the same seller.

I can recommend Steve Bench's RIAA 5 phono circuit. There is no kit but the amp is simple and easy to wire point to point. I thought the sound from this was delightful. If you build it consider valve rectification. EZ80 is perfect

ANkits should meet all your requirements

https://ankaudiokits.com/product-category/phono/

like the look of that L1 Phono kit. Spendier than I was thinking though.

Also looking at the Hagermann Cornet3 and the Bottlehead Reduction and Eros kits. I also wonder if the World Designs kits are still available?

I’m not sure I’m really up to just starting with a circuit diagram and taking it from there. Clear and precise instructions needed.

I’m not sure I’m really up to just starting with a circuit diagram and taking it from there. Clear and precise instructions needed.

There are a handful of very competent fishies to nurse you through things. How tricky can it be - two tag strips and not much else for the components that aren't valves or TX.

I have dabbled, but no more, with electronic circuits for maybe 40 years, and if I did not own two Micros, including a push-pull version, I'd not worry about giving things a go on building a clone.

Are you looking to build something in its entirety, or would tweaking a pre built amp suit? If the latter then maybe look for a Concordant, World Design, or a Croft

advertisement

Back