advertisement

DIY Valve Guitar amp (kit)

Why not combine the two - here's my bass cab:

606_tifer.jpg

Nice one Richard

Yes something along those lines.......and the springer looks excited about it too.....

So you have a matching head unit that sits on this cab??

2x 15" woofers, one of which looks like it may pee on the other!

laverda- is this the Bluebell 15w vox clone Paul at Pulse Studio was on about?

No matching head. I did have a Musicman HD130, but sold it and bought something small and yellow instead:

606_rig.jpg

Excuse the fingerprints over the G&L.

:putting it together (in ones head)

2329623580_0664feb2f7.jpg

2329621138_ea17ba98b5.jpg

The packaging is an art form on its own............

2328800595_488d212c7c.jpg

Hand drawn schematics and details of typical layout........
(the schematic I've been asked to keep under my hat) for the time being

All very impressive thus far....:)

I'm CADing up a drilling/cutting drawing which I'll overlay on the chassis so I can drill and cut just in the right places.

Graham

:Template in place before drilling/cutting top plate of chassis.......

2345438739_d1b5ac09f4.jpg

some time later all the holes drilled out as required..........and at 45 degrees so if I need to rotate a valve base for hard wiring it might make it easyer. Grommits in place to allow the wires from the trans's and choke to pass through without chaffing by sharp edges of holes. Mains transformer sited just to get ones eye in. Boltes in place but loose. The mains trani is/will be rubber mounted. I've had good results in the past with doing this so hope it works here.

2346267482_0b8d2923b3.jpg

Just had to fit a valve base too...........along with second trani....just to see..........:)

2346268184_3835592ac9.jpg

Away now till after easter (bugger) I was just getting into this........

Graham

looking good- bet those pesky holes had you swearing, all very neat. Mine look like a dog's dinner at this stage. Those hammond traffos look like the chassis has a bit of weight to cope with ontop- those chassis are not the sturdiest as Ive got one mounted vertically (cream pointer knobs look good on mine).

keep the pics coming Graham- defo interesting. cheers Capt

Hi Graham
That is looking very sweet, sorry to chime in on this thread at this late stage but I must have missed it along the way, I too have built a Bluebell kit, just the standard Champ clone, and later a Marshal 18 watter clone, and yes Phil can get a little grizzly at times, it depends if his supplier has paid him a visit, get my drift :D
I have a coule of Q's if you don't mind Graham

1/ What output tubes are you using and what brand did Phil supply?
2/ Do you know what 60's Fender this is a modified version of?
3/ I am a tad confused, in your first image post I detect some Chelmer tubes that appear to be BA9 base, ie: ECC83's, however the pre-amp tube sockets in your last image are definately octal's, if this is the case what pre-amp tubes are you using in this design, or is this the " Hush " part, there are some octal style tubes that can be used in a pre-amp, I have known Phil to supply them before.
If you need any help with anything for the build PM me, I do have a fair few bits for valve amp builds, and a few years experience of building them.I will post some pics of my 18 watter, sadly I don't think I have any of the Champ, maybe though.

The pics of my 18 watter are here:

http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/...t Build/?albumview=grid&fullsize=STA60044.jpg
Paul

Hi Paul

Here are the valves I have.

2370961542_374d01549c.jpg

GZ34 the rectifier ..:) The (GEC) KT88's are mine .......... the others came down with the kit and mean not to much to me at this stage but will as I build it up. (read the instructions) thanks for your photos (yours looks like a superb build) and the offer of advice along the way. I have know Idea what Fender amp this is derived from.........but this is what Phil told me it would be.......:confused:

Regards

Graham

I too am interested to know which Fender this is derived from if its output is around 15w mark- defo not the Deluxe.

Maybe the Wide Panel Super? (mid 50s), or summat along those lines. Here's The Fender Field Guide anyway (click on a model at lwr lhs for info): http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/

Hi Graham thanks for the kind words re my 18 watter build, I Know you will better it ;)
All guitar amps are based aroun the early Fender designs, even Marshall, just have the tone stack after the pre and driving into the PI ( phase inverter ), this is what gives the Marshall its crunch/overdrive, whereas the Fender design will not push too much by way overdrive, just nice pure fat tones with loads of chime.
Graham could you take a pic of the 3x Chelmer tubes out of their box's, and lay the GZ34 against them, I can not see the type number very clearly, although it still looks like they are BA9, which are the 9 pin base tubes, hmmmmm. The GEC KT88 will chime like a church bell, lucky man!! how many are used in the output stage for this amp? I see you have 3 in the pic, also could you list the Hammond traffos Phil has supplied, it may give me clue as to what you are building?

Paul

Graham could you take a pic of the 3x Chelmer tubes out of their box's, and lay the GZ34 against them, I can not see the type number very clearly, although it still looks like they are BA9, which are the 9 pin base tubes, hmmmmm. The GEC KT88 will chime like a church bell, lucky man!! how many are used in the output stage for this amp? I see you have 3 in the pic, also could you list the Hammond traffos Phil has supplied, it may give me clue as to what you are building?

Paul

2373409713_7174a896bf.jpg

The KT88's are all used but tested OK I have a test sheet somewhere

2373431427_093eb31405.jpg

370FX
125FSE
159Q (choke) I think
125B underside

Hi Graham, yep those tubes are all octals, this should be one hell of an amp when completed, those taffo's are for a single ended amp, the 125BSE will take you to around 5 watts driving just one KT88 and then the other pair of KT88's take over supplied by the 125FSE up to around 20 watts, I still have no idea what Fender Phil has based this amp upon, but looking at the piece parts it will definately kick ass, it will certainly have a wonderful vintage chime with those tubes in place, especially the GEC's at the rear end, at a later stage I would consider replacing the JJ Tesla GZ34 rectifier tube with a Mullard or some other NOS tube, that would reap rewards :D I will have to give Phil a shout to find out what he has suppied you, it is very nice kit regardless, and at a reasonable price, nice one, keep the pics coming ;)
Paul

advertisement

Back