advertisement

DIY turntable from spare parts

teddy_pardo

Trade: Teddy Pardo
Here is a project that I had in mind for a long time.

Over the years I upgraded my old LP12 and replaced every possible part. Each time I kept the old parts and realized that I can almost build a new turntable, but different...

It starts by fitting TangoSpinner feet, which I mounted on small 10mm Plexiglas squares.

IMG_0199_zps4qm7k8mf.jpg

IMG_0198_zpsv2p5rkyt.jpg

Then, fixing an OroginLive DC motor, again with Plexiglas

IMG_0197_zpsfaym40lx.jpg

IMG_0196_zpsucz3btbq.jpg

Next, place the inner platter, left from a cirkus upgrade

IMG_0195_zpss6rhnmzs.jpg

And an outer platter taken from an old Thorens TD160. The outer platter required some adaptation as the diameter and height are slightly different.

IMG_0200_zpsr6le1rt0.jpg

IMG_0201_zps707aku8h.jpg

Adding a Mat made of Silicone foil usually used for coocking

IMG_0202_zpslqse8gab.jpg

And to finalize, a TangoSpinners record clamp

IMG_0205_zpsen3ufth3.jpg

IMG_0204_zpsr0fcdbsb.jpg

To the OriginLive I connected one of our power supplies to which I have added a trimmer for fine speed adjustment.

Sound is fantastic :)

Teddy, Wow what a great idea :cool:
How does it compare to your real LP12 ?.
I think a Sole sub Chasis would be good in this application

Alan

Teddy, Wow what a great idea :cool:
How does it compare to your real LP12 ?.
I think a Sole sub Chasis would be good in this application

Alan

Hard to tell as I'm not using the same cartridge, and it is not connected to the same system, but it sounds very good. I will not be surprised if it kind of on-par.

I'm using here a 20 year old cartridge, and still it sounds fantastic, incomparable to the TD160 on which the arm and cartridge were mounted previously.

I think that the Silicone mat and the record clamp contribute quite a bit, so does probably the OriginLive DC motor

I like it Teddy! Sitting in the cupboard, I have a LP12 subchassis, bearing, inner platter (from Cirkus upgrade) and a spare armboard and Akito, so I just need a motor and an outer platter to make my own LP12 mash up.

I like it Teddy! Sitting in the cupboard, I have a LP12 subchassis, bearing, inner platter (from Cirkus upgrade) and a spare armboard and Akito, so I just need a motor and an outer platter to make my own LP12 mash up.

Since it is not suspended, I recommend using a DC motor. Talk to me if you need a power supply ;)

Teddy

I think you have made a Rega Planar!

Or a Linn Basik/Axis:D

Good stuff Teddy, with regard to the DC motor you might want to try and decouple that in some way - I suggest 3 rubber grommets in order to ensure that the motor stays perpendicular to the inner platter and drives squarley without any scrub. You can alter their compression which will change the way the grommets filter.

Better still put the motor in a heavy pod and just let it sit on the shelf.

I don't agree. Mount a high quality DC motor directly onto the subchassis and you have better control over the motor drive system. If the motor is free standing you have not got a precise relationship between motor, bearing and arm. Belt tension, for example, affect speed stability, so the motor needs to be precisely placed.

I'm interested in a DC power supply. To be successful I would imagine speed sensitivity needs to be measured to convince folk that the speed remains consistent through a "side". There has been much debate about a DC motor control system.....

I built a power supply for myself with two trimmers, one for 33 and one for 45, accessible from the back of the unit, and a selector accessible from the front. If there is a demand I can turn it into a commercial product.

advertisement

Back